HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Old Redline Quote (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=132453)

Legionnaire 03-01-2005 09:36 PM

Old Redline Quote

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...defensemen.htm

From Redline prior to the 2001 draft.

Quote:

So which of them would we rather have five years down the road?

In Red Line's view, perhaps only Gleason among this group has the potential to develop into a No. 1 defencemen in the NHL. He possesses in abundance the type of skills, dynamic skating ability, powerful point shot, and attacking nature that a true No. 1 must have. He's also got a mean, nasty streak a mile wide, though he does get caught up in undisciplined retaliation that can cost his team. Factor in that he sometimes exhibits questionable decision making and hockey sense in his own zone, and Gleason is also probably the biggest gamble of the big four.

I can see the first part. He's looking less and less like a gamble and more of a sure thing though.

You definitely gotta give DT some love for getting him for Smoke. :handclap:

Game Misconduct 03-01-2005 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire
You definitely gotta give DT some love for getting him for Smoke. :handclap:

Agreed. :handclap:

Old Hickory 03-01-2005 09:50 PM

Double Agreed :handclap: :handclap:

10 ft. pole 03-01-2005 10:43 PM

I like Gleason alot more than Grebeshkov at this point. Gleason still reminds me of a mini Hatcher while Grebs is starting to remind me of Modry (the ultimate insult).

Reaper45 03-01-2005 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Double Agreed :handclap: :handclap:

Triple agreed. I reall like this kid. Imagine if he does turn into a Hatcher type of guy, although I think he's more likely to be a Scott Stevens like guy, that'd be awesome, at the very least he could be a Lyle Odelein type of guy.

Now about Grebs. Even if he turns into a Modry type of guy, he'll be putting up solid #'s and will be an allstar. How can you go wrong with that?

Legionnaire 03-02-2005 12:54 AM

Hatcher doesn't work for me because A he's smaller and B he can skate. How about Adam Foote type?

Reaper45 03-02-2005 01:24 AM

Quote:

Hatcher doesn't work for me because A he's smaller and B he can skate. How about Adam Foote type?

Which is why I said Stevens, but yeah I could see that.

Albi 03-02-2005 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45
Triple agreed. I reall like this kid. Imagine if he does turn into a Hatcher type of guy, although I think he's more likely to be a Scott Stevens like guy, that'd be awesome

Considering I HATE Hatcher and I love Stevens, I like your words Reaper ;)

Game Misconduct 03-02-2005 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 ft.
Grebs is starting to remind me of Modry (the ultimate insult).

Lay off the crack pipe, bro. :shakehead

Albi 03-02-2005 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
Lay off the crack pipe, bro. :shakehead

From what I've heard, Grebs skates a "bit better" than Slodry...

Legionnaire 03-02-2005 12:28 PM

Quote:

Which is why I said Stevens, but yeah I could see that.

Yeah, the reason I didn't see that fitting is because TG isn't a ferocious open ice hitter. He tends to really hit along the boards and in front of the net like Foote.

Dooney 03-02-2005 01:14 PM

Quote:

There's nothing with being on the short side and can skate. But if you want to change the names around, Foote works.

Ya hate Cammi or Theo too :lol

Matt13 03-02-2005 01:57 PM

Gleason is more of a Daryl Sydor type. Comparing him to Stevens who is probably the most lethal hitter ever at the blueline is a bit of stretch for me. Adam Foote is very one dimensional and from where I sit not a good comarison as well. Daryl has always been a guy that will drop the gloves, plays good defense and chips in on offense. Lets just hope that Tim doesnt become the punching bag that Daryl is.

Legionnaire 03-02-2005 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dooney & Bourke
There's nothing with being on the short side and can skate. But if you want to change the names around, Foote works.

Ya hate Cammi or Theo too :lol

I never said Gleason was small. He's 6'1. He's just not as big as Hatcher.

I also did not say that I had a problem with shorter players. Though I do have a problem with size when it effect their durability, but that's a different thread.

Dooney 03-02-2005 04:38 PM

Quote:

I never said Gleason was small. He's 6'1. He's just not as big as Hatcher.

I also did not say that I had a problem with shorter players. Though I do have a problem with size when it effect their durability, but that's a different thread.

Oh...my mistake. Sorry. :shakehead

tc 03-02-2005 04:57 PM

Watching that game last week, I am amazed how nicely some of our prospects are developing. I love Gleason's game and did last year when he was with the Kings. I also think Greb is a future stud- he did look a tad disinterested at times, but I still think he has sick skills.

Old Hickory 03-02-2005 04:59 PM

We have a solid future on the blueline that's for sure. Now let's hope we win the draft lottery and end up with Crosby

Reaper45 03-02-2005 05:08 PM

We all totally forgot about this part.

SUPER SLEEPER: Tuukka Mantyla. This smallish, 20-year-old Finnish defenceman is one of my personal favourites. His size (or lack thereof at 5-9, 180) has gotten him completely passed over in his first two draft years, and it will prevent him from being drafted high this year, but someone is going to get a real bargain in the later rounds with this kid.

He is absolutely the best power play point man in this entire draft class with an uncanny ability to make the correct decision in puck distribution every time. His anticipation and hockey sense are phenomenal, and he uses great vision and creativity to make fabulous long, lead home run passes through the neutral zone, constantly beating the neutral zone trap and excelling in the transition game by turning defence to offence in a heartbeat. Also has a lot of grit and heart despite lack of size, and has been the captain and leader of a very strong Finnish World Junior Team the past two years.

I think he is one of our most underrated prospects.

Old Hickory 03-02-2005 05:24 PM

Quote:

We all totally forgot about this part.

SUPER SLEEPER: Tuukka Mantyla. This smallish, 20-year-old Finnish defenceman is one of my personal favourites. His size (or lack thereof at 5-9, 180) has gotten him completely passed over in his first two draft years, and it will prevent him from being drafted high this year, but someone is going to get a real bargain in the later rounds with this kid.

He is absolutely the best power play point man in this entire draft class with an uncanny ability to make the correct decision in puck distribution every time. His anticipation and hockey sense are phenomenal, and he uses great vision and creativity to make fabulous long, lead home run passes through the neutral zone, constantly beating the neutral zone trap and excelling in the transition game by turning defence to offence in a heartbeat. Also has a lot of grit and heart despite lack of size, and has been the captain and leader of a very strong Finnish World Junior Team the past two years.

I think he is one of our most underrated prospects.

He shows up for prospects camp every year. He is a really little guy.

Dave in LA 03-02-2005 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Matt13:
Gleason is more of a Daryl Sydor type.
:lol :lol:

Adam Foote is the best comparison so far.

Did you go the last FF where he took out Moore and then started to fight him? That dude is one mean SOB and will only get meaner as he matures.

D

Reaper45 03-02-2005 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsjohn
He shows up for prospects camp every year. He is a really little guy.

Yeah I know he shows up, and I know he's little, but the guy is good.

Matt13 03-03-2005 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in LA
:lol :lol:

Adam Foote is the best comparison so far.

Did you go the last FF where he took out Moore and then started to fight him? That dude is one mean SOB and will only get meaner as he matures.

D

Actually it was Hinote.

Ill go as far to say his meanstreak may be like Foote's but I still say that he has more offensive side then Adam. So lets say he is a hybrid of Sydor and Foote.

Dave in LA 03-03-2005 01:21 PM

Works for me. I meant Hinote :dunno:

D

Matt13 03-03-2005 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in LA
Works for me. I meant Hinote :dunno:

D

How has Foote never gotten that big ass nose broken?

Reaper45 03-03-2005 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt13
How has Foote never gotten that big ass nose broken?

He never dropped the mitts with me....