HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Speculation: Sabres Talk - Proposals, Speculation, Roster-shaping (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1324561)

Chainshot 01-16-2013 06:01 AM

Sabres Talk - Proposals, Speculation, Roster-shaping
 
Since so many complain rather than making one on their own... :laugh:

Paxon 01-16-2013 06:17 AM

I resent the assumption that I'm here to discuss these "Sabres"

HiddenInLight 01-16-2013 06:24 AM

I saw a Luke Adam for Dustin Jeffery offer proposed in the Foligno thread in the trade section. I like that deal for us, what would you guys think?

Paxon 01-16-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiddenInLight (Post 57666529)
I saw a Luke Adam for Dustin Jeffery offer proposed in the Foligno thread in the trade section. I like that deal for us, what would you guys think?

I'd be interested

umbertovanek 01-16-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Paxon (Post 57666983)
I'd be interested

Seconded. Versatile reasonably young bottom 6 forward with a certain scoring touch. Seems like a good fit.

I also remember a Adam for Cormier proposal a couple of weeks back and wouldn't be opposed to that, either.

Selanne00008 01-16-2013 07:57 AM

Have we been involved in any rumors at all?
Seems like it's quiet and we have a set roster. (usually the time Darcy makes a move)

Still seems unlikely though..

Paxon 01-16-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selanne00008 (Post 57667861)
Have we been involved in any rumors at all?
Seems like it's quiet and we have a set roster. (usually the time Darcy makes a move)

Still seems unlikely though..

Nope. There really haven't been many rumors, just talk of teams that might be good fits based on needs.

stokes84 01-16-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selanne00008 (Post 57667861)
Have we been involved in any rumors at all?
Seems like it's quiet and we have a set roster. (usually the time Darcy makes a move)

Still seems unlikely though..

Darcy has said he wants to trade a defenseman before he has to send someone through waivers, but everyone knows that someone is going to have to go through waivers so there is virtually no leverage.

HiddenInLight 01-16-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selanne00008 (Post 57667861)
Have we been involved in any rumors at all?
Seems like it's quiet and we have a set roster. (usually the time Darcy makes a move)

Still seems unlikely though..

Nothing from any reputable sources....most are silent about any NHL rumors at this point. Mostly reporting on camps and minor signings.

Less reputable sources (not at all reputable) including Eklund and IBN (lolz at both of them) have posted a few things, but nothing that really has any traction.

Chainshot 01-16-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selanne00008 (Post 57667861)
Have we been involved in any rumors at all?
Seems like it's quiet and we have a set roster. (usually the time Darcy makes a move)

Still seems unlikely though..

Regier's hockey department is notoriously close-mouthed. Next to nothing ever comes out.

As was mentioned, Darcy himself has mentioned he has bodies on the blueline and is pursuing a trade to mitigate losing someone for free, but he has very little leverage unless a team figures they are going to lose out to an earlier waiver claim.

TehDoak 01-16-2013 09:32 AM

Let's go the worst case scenario:

Team struggles out the gate, and come trade deadline time, team is hiliariously out of playoff contention.

We're having a FIRE...sale.

Obviously expiring contracts are gone

Regehr, Leopold, Pardy(if he's still around), Hecht (assuming he makes it that long)

What about the 2014 contracts? Miller, Vanek, Pomniville, Ott. Who stays, who goes?

New Sabres Captain 01-16-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selanne00008 (Post 57667861)
Have we been involved in any rumors at all?
Seems like it's quiet and we have a set roster. (usually the time Darcy makes a move)

Still seems unlikely though..

Have to keep in mind that Regier runs a tight ship...there usually isn't much warning ahead of time that something is going to happen.

is the answer jesus 01-16-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehDoak (Post 57670605)
Let's go the worst case scenario:

Team struggles out the gate, and come trade deadline time, team is hiliariously out of playoff contention.

We're having a FIRE...sale.

Obviously expiring contracts are gone

Regehr, Leopold, Pardy(if he's still around), Hecht (assuming he makes it that long)

What about the 2014 contracts? Miller, Vanek, Pomniville, Ott. Who stays, who goes?

I doubt any of Miller, Vanek, Pominville, or Ott are moved. The Sabres have no clear succesor to Miller so I think they'll keep him heading into the offseason and look to extend him at least a few more years. Pominville is the captain and most valuable/consistent forward we have so I think he also get re-upped in the offseason as well. Vanek could potentially be moved as it seems as though he's frequently in Ruff's doghouse and doesn't really produce commensurate to his contract, but I doubt that happens this trade deadline it would be far more likely at the 2014 trade deadline. Ott's tough to make a determination on seeing as how he's yet to play a single game as a Sabre. He fit's the tough to play against mold well so it seems unlikely they move him, but if they did I'm sure it wouldn't be until at least the offseason.

Paxon 01-16-2013 10:54 AM

I think they'd only move expiring guys at the deadline, such as Leopold, Regehr, Hecht, Pardy, Scott, etc. You still need players for the following season and you can't just put in low-end prospects, guys who aren't ready, etc. Not gonna debate whether that's wise or not, but it's what I would expect and I think that's what I'd prefer.

If they do move a Vanek or such, it'd probably be more along the lines of the Hodgson deal where they're looking to get a guy who can play the following season and has a quality ceiling.

Woodhouse 01-16-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehDoak (Post 57670605)
Let's go the worst case scenario:

Team struggles out the gate, and come trade deadline time, team is hiliariously out of playoff contention.

We're having a FIRE...sale.

Obviously expiring contracts are gone

Regehr, Leopold, Pardy(if he's still around), Hecht (assuming he makes it that long)

What about the 2014 contracts? Miller, Vanek, Pomniville, Ott. Who stays, who goes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Paxon (Post 57674123)
I think they'd only move expiring guys at the deadline, such as Leopold, Regehr, Hecht, Pardy, Scott, etc. You still need players for the following season and you can't just put in low-end prospects, guys who aren't ready, etc. Not gonna debate whether that's wise or not, but it's what I would expect and I think that's what I'd prefer.

If they do move a Vanek or such, it'd probably be more along the lines of the Hodgson deal where they're looking to get a guy who can play the following season and has a quality ceiling.

I'm with RP. Plus, if they were to move any of those 2014 contracts, I think it'd be at the 2013 draft or 2014 deadline, when we likely have a 2013 NHL-ready prospect to replace one of them + whatever they return.

Rivet52 01-16-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umbertovanek (Post 57667519)
Seconded. Versatile reasonably young bottom 6 forward with a certain scoring touch. Seems like a good fit.

I also remember a Adam for Cormier proposal a couple of weeks back and wouldn't be opposed to that, either.

That was me. Although I proposed that over the summer. Thought it made sense for both teams.

SabresFanInLA 01-18-2013 04:01 AM

McCormick going down?
 
Let's imagine that everyone is healthy and able to play (based on the 26 man training camp roster as of 1:39am PSD). One of the three guys not staying or playing for the Sabres, it appears to me, is Cody McCormick.

He was awesome two years ago, I loved him. I was at the game where they gave him Unsung Hero or some similar award and felt he deserved it.

But let's be honest: He sucked last year. Yes he got his bell rung and his finger was messed up so he couldn't fight, but he also stopped hitting. Anyone else notice that? He hit dudes in 2010-11, hard. Not last year, even before the big Tanner Glass concussion.

He also went from a point every 4 games, to a point every 12.

If he's not able to fight cuz of his finger (and not even one of the top 2 fighters on the team with Scott and Foligno in town) and he's nothing special defensively and he's not chipping in offensively and he's not drawing penalties, he's redundant.

You want toughness against the Bruins? 36, 24, 9, 6, 82, and 32 seems like enough, and except for Scott, those guys all fill multiple roles, and I think Lindy and Darcy know it.

Barring injuries (which there certainly will be and this will be a moot point) or a trade, I wouldn't be at all surprised if McCormick never plays another game for the Buffalo Sabres.

Jacob582 01-18-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresFanInLA (Post 57776029)
Let's imagine that everyone is healthy and able to play (based on the 26 man training camp roster as of 1:39am PSD). One of the three guys not staying or playing for the Sabres, it appears to me, is Cody McCormick.

He was awesome two years ago, I loved him. I was at the game where they gave him Unsung Hero or some similar award and felt he deserved it.

But let's be honest: He sucked last year. Yes he got his bell rung and his finger was messed up so he couldn't fight, but he also stopped hitting. Anyone else notice that? He hit dudes in 2010-11, hard. Not last year, even before the big Tanner Glass concussion.

He also went from a point every 4 games, to a point every 12.

If he's not able to fight cuz of his finger (and not even one of the top 2 fighters on the team with Scott and Foligno in town) and he's nothing special defensively and he's not chipping in offensively and he's not drawing penalties, he's redundant.

You want toughness against the Bruins? 36, 24, 9, 6, 82, and 32 seems like enough, and except for Scott, those guys all fill multiple roles, and I think Lindy and Darcy know it.

Barring injuries (which there certainly will be and this will be a moot point) or a trade, I wouldn't be at all surprised if McCormick never plays another game for the Buffalo Sabres.

I agree.
If we go above 23 with Gerbe and McCormick coming off IR, I thinks that McCormick or maybe Ellis is the first to get waived.

I do think that injuries to others will quickly dwindle any logjam.

Even if McCormick plays for Rochester, I can see him getting called up as a replacement.

TehDoak 01-18-2013 06:47 AM

I think what we will see is Ellis sent down and a d-man moved once the dust settles (gomez, redden signed, waivers cleared)

McCormick has years left on his deal.

That'll give us:

Vanek-Hodgson-Pomniville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Grigerenko-Ott
Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta
McCormick/Scott

Myers-Sekera
Sulzer-Ehrhoff
Regehr-Weber
Brennnan

Leopold moved for a 3rd

Zip15 01-18-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehDoak (Post 57777191)
I think what we will see is Ellis sent down and a d-man moved once the dust settles (gomez, redden signed, waivers cleared)

McCormick has years left on his deal.

That'll give us:

Vanek-Hodgson-Pomniville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Grigerenko-Ott
Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta
McCormick/Scott

Myers-Sekera
Sulzer-Ehrhoff
Regehr-Weber
Brennnan

Leopold moved for a 3rd

If so, I'm starting the Fire Darcy thread. Mark freaking Fistric got a 3rd rounder, and he isn't 1/3 of the player Leopold is. Jonny Oduya got a 2nd and 3rd at last year's deadline. If Regier sells that low on Leopold, I've had it.

Why do people so desperately want to undersell on Leopold? So that we can play TJ Brennan or Mike Weber in addition to Sulzer? Did I miss the tanking memo?

flyingpig 01-18-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip15 (Post 57777375)
If so, I'm starting the Fire Darcy thread. Mark freaking Fistric got a 3rd rounder, and he isn't 1/3 of the player Leopold is. Jonny Oduya got a 2nd and 3rd at last year's deadline. If Regier sells that low on Leopold, I've had it.

Why do people so desperately want to undersell on Leopold? So that we can play TJ Brennan or Mike Weber in addition to Sulzer? Did I miss the tanking memo?

When does Regier ever sell low? He is known to over value to a fault. I don't think you have to worry about that.

tsujimoto74 01-18-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingpig (Post 57778859)
When does Regier ever sell low? He is known to over value to a fault. I don't think you have to worry about that.

He sold pretty low on Roy, but I don't think anyone resents him for that one. I'm certainly glad to have Ott.

aceface33 01-18-2013 08:20 AM

I don't quite get The calls to move Leopold. I always saw him as a solid, if unspectacular dman with a bit of a scoring touch. If the team is out of it at the deadline all bets are off obviously, but if the team is contending, I would try to trade or worst case scenario, waive Weber first.

flyingpig 01-18-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 (Post 57778953)
He sold pretty low on Roy, but I don't think anyone resents him for that one. I'm certainly glad to have Ott.

True, but that selling low is not the norm with Regier and was to obtain an absolute need. Leopold for something else we need more is a different story than Leo for a lower pick.

Jim Bob 01-18-2013 08:33 AM

http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8079/...b5061d05d9.jpg

Here is Enroth's new lid.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.