HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Free Agent Frenzy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Senators-Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1324649)

conooper 01-16-2013 09:49 AM

Senators-Penguins

The rumor is being kicked around about Gonchar coming back to the Pens. I for one, would love to see it. I know the rumor has been squashed by a good bit of people, but with Ottawa losing its' third D-pairing, what are the chances they add by subtracting?

Here's what I was thinking:

To PIT: Sergei Gonchar

To OTT: Ben Lovejoy, Brian Strait

Clamshells 01-16-2013 09:51 AM

Fill a hole in the bottom pairing by making a hole in the second pairing...

I'm in.

hundreddollarbill 01-16-2013 09:52 AM

sens probably need something to replace gonchar ,no chance they ship gonchar off for nothing short of a replacement as cowan and someone else(I may be wrong) is hurt

wej20 01-16-2013 09:57 AM

Not sure Pens need Gonchar but I doubt Sens want to replace Gonchar with two #6/7 Dmen.

Lemieuxfan 01-16-2013 09:58 AM

It has been discussed before..

Even I as a pen fan have to say, that this offer is not good enough.

Why should Ottawa trade their 2nd best PP d-man and see their chances to make the PO decrease.

They may trade him, but that will be at the Deadline.

conooper 01-16-2013 10:01 AM

I figured it wouldn't be enough or enticing enough to snatch Gonchar, but it would definitely be a start to bring him back. It's two solid defensemen that have had moments in the NHL, one can be a decent puck mover and the other might turn out to be Scuderi-esque both at low cap hits at the expense of an aging, overpaid Gonchar, not much risk in this move at all.

I think it would take a little more to get the deal done, but just figured there would be something to get it going.

WhiteLight 01-16-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conooper (Post 57671853)
I figured it wouldn't be enough or enticing enough to snatch Gonchar, but it would definitely be a start to bring him back. It's two solid defensemen that have had moments in the NHL, one can be a decent puck mover and the other might turn out to be Scuderi-esque both at low cap hits at the expense of an aging, overpaid Gonchar, not much risk in this move at all.

I think it would take a little more to get the deal done, but just figured there would be something to get it going.

No it's not a start.

It's crap.

Strait is not NHL caliber and Lovejoy arguably isn't either.

If the Sens wanted crap players like that, they could sign just about anyone if free agency. A guy like Kent Huskins is better than those 2 players.

The Sens have equivalent or better d-man on their AHL team like Benoit, Borowiecki, Gryba and even Eckford. Horrible proposal.

You WILL have to give something of value, because Gonchar is valuable. There's no way around it.

wej20 01-16-2013 10:16 AM

why is Strait not NHL calibre? He's been one of the better defensive dmen in the AHL for the past few seasons.

WhiteLight 01-16-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 57672519)
why is Strait not NHL calibre? He's been one of the better defensive dmen in the AHL for the past few seasons.

You can go ahead and keep him then, the Sens don't want anything to do with him.

Vujtek 01-16-2013 10:18 AM

I guess I wouldn't mind getting Gonch back but the price would most certainly be too high. Gonch as a rental could get a solid return (much, much better than being offered here) but I'd rather Shero not pay that price.

internetdotcom 01-16-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemieuxfan (Post 57671721)
It has been discussed before..

Even I as a pen fan have to say, that this offer is not good enough.

Why should Ottawa trade their 2nd best PP d-man and see their chances to make the PO decrease.

They may trade him, but that will be at the Deadline.

Very, very well said.

Ottawa probably keeps Sarge until the deadline, trades him if we are out of it, keeps him if we are in it. We can run with Karlsson, Methot, Phillips, Gonchar, and AHL callups and/or a cheap UFA to fill in until Lundin is back.

BeerandHockey 01-16-2013 10:38 AM

Also, Wiercioch has served his time in the AHL and deserves that #5-6 spot to start the season. Murray and McLean both seem to be happy with his development. In fact he could be paired with Gonchar in the #3-4 spot since he has the skating and skill. He just is not all that strong even for a 6'4" 200lb dude.

Anderson55 01-16-2013 10:52 AM

What about Strait and another prospect or pick for Mike Hoffman?

ChronicallyInjured 01-16-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anderson55 (Post 57674031)

I'd probably do that, Hoffman is great and all but we just have so many other offensive prospects. Perhaps even straight up Hoffman for a d-prospect

roboninja 01-16-2013 11:21 AM

If I were the Sens, I would seriously consider an offer of Orpik and Strait for Gonchar. Not sure if that is too rich for the Pens though.

I was personally very unimpressed with Gonchar last season.

Vujtek 01-16-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roboninja (Post 57675455)
If I were the Sens, I would seriously consider an offer of Orpik and Strait for Gonchar. Not sure if that is too rich for the Pens though.

I was personally very unimpressed with Gonchar last season.

Pens wouldn't move Orpik for Gonch. Brooks is worth much more than a few months of Gonchar.

Orpik is our 'Chris Phillips' so think what you'd want for Phillips and that's what we'd want for Orpik.

Sureves 01-16-2013 11:27 AM

No way. We need our defenseman. Period.

Common Sense 01-16-2013 11:33 AM

I'll pass. Our power play is fine. We need someone who can actually play defense.

I think the Senators should trade Gonchar because I don't believe they're going to make the playoffs again, but they can find better trading partners.

guyzeur 01-16-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Definition (Post 57676035)
I'll pass. Our power play is fine. We need someone who can actually play defense.

I think the Senators should trade Gonchar because I don't believe they're going to make the playoffs again, but they can find better trading partners.

We normally like to play with 4 forwards anyway.

About not making the playoffs, is this what you predicted last year as well? :naughty:

wgknestrick 01-16-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyzeur (Post 57677397)
We normally like to play with 4 forwards anyway.

About not making the playoffs, is this what you predicted last year as well? :naughty:

Ottawa had career years from many players last year. Are you betting all those players have back to back career years? Fringe playoff team that probably makes it.

I DNW Gonchar. Pens cannot afford to add his D play to their already weak D play.

Kezia 01-16-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anderson55 (Post 57674031)

No thanks. Hoffman has a chance to be a 2nd or 3rd liner. Strait at best is a bottom pairing.

guyzeur 01-16-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wgknestrick (Post 57678291)
Ottawa had career years from many players last year. Are you betting all those players have back to back career years? Fringe playoff team that probably makes it.

I DNW Gonchar. Pens cannot afford to add his D play to their already weak D play.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Karlsson was right on par with his phenomenal developmental curve. Others were back to where they were before they were troubled with injuries and/or affected by a couple years of bad coaching.

I am not going to argue with your second point but he was more than adequate with us last year while paired with Jared Cowen.

nwpensfan 01-16-2013 12:45 PM

I really don't see a need nor do I want to see Gonch on the Pens. Like what he did for us but not now.

MonsterSurge 01-16-2013 12:47 PM

Unless we're getting Chris Neil....NO.

mwalluk 01-16-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benny FTW (Post 57678787)
No thanks. Hoffman has a chance to be a 2nd or 3rd liner. Strait at best is a bottom pairing.

Realistically, what would it take to get Hoffman?