HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Soccer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Pep to Bayern (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1324677)

hersky77 01-16-2013 10:29 AM

Pep to Bayern
 
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...season?cc=5901

Big question is can he get them over the hump known as the champions league finals.

Luiginho 01-16-2013 10:36 AM

I just don't understand this.

Why announce it in the middle of the season? And I thought Pep wanted to coach in the EPL?

Franck 01-16-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Saku (Post 57673355)
I just don't understand this.

Why announce it in the middle of the season?

Because it had already begun leaking out anyway.

Quote:

And I thought Pep wanted to coach in the EPL?
The only people who actually believed that were the English media.

ProPAIN 01-16-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franck (Post 57674247)
The only people who actually believed that were the English media.

It's hard to not believe words that come out of people's mouth:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21039286

Panteras 01-16-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Saku (Post 57673355)
I just don't understand this.

Why announce it in the middle of the season? And I thought Pep wanted to coach in the EPL?

Article says the current Bayern coach is retiring when his contract is done at the end of the season.....so what's baffling about the announcement ?

Jussi 01-16-2013 12:01 PM

So now we know who will succeed SAF at Old Trafford in 2016 when he retires. ;)

kov 01-16-2013 12:22 PM

All three German teams topped their groups in Cl this year; EPL were last, 3rd, 2nd, 1st. The Bundesliga just might be the best league moving forward.

Panteras 01-16-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussi (Post 57677533)
So now we know who will succeed SAF at Old Trafford in 2016 when he retires. ;)

Mourinho

HajdukSplit 01-16-2013 12:42 PM

Mourinho will probably leave Real Madrid this summer and go to one of Chelsea, Man City

I had a feeling Guardiola would go to Bayern or even a club like Milan and now I agree with the sentiment that Guardiola will be at Old Trafford in 3-4 years time

Jussi 01-16-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HajdukSplit (Post 57679749)
Mourinho will probably leave Real Madrid this summer and go to one of Chelsea, Man City

I had a feeling Guardiola would go to Bayern or even a club like Milan and now I agree with the sentiment that Guardiola will be at Old Trafford in 3-4 years time

Bridges burned to that place, not happening.

tomcatNYR 01-16-2013 03:10 PM

Not sure how I feel about this as a Bayern fan. I can't imagine Pep Guardiola in Lederhosen and with a 1 l pint of beer in hand at Oktoberfest.

I suppose he's already taking intensive German lessons since Uli wouldn't have it any other way.

Shrimper 01-16-2013 06:01 PM

I really would like to see Pep take over an average team and work them up.

ck26 01-16-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussi (Post 57679935)
Bridges burned to that place, not happening.

Only if you think Mourinho doesn't want anything to do with Chelsea. I strongly feel Chelsea would take him back.

I read an article last summer that quoted / paraphrased one of the directors at Inter saying Guardiola was the only man capable of prying Messi away from Barcelona. Any thought that at some point a couple years from now (post-Puyol, post-Xavi), we might see Pep and Leo teaming up again?

Live in the Now 01-16-2013 06:23 PM

Unless Pep decides he wants to manage Argentina, I doubt that.

Saw this coming all along. Unless Pep decides he wants to manage City he'll never manage in England, and the reasons for that are really simple. He doesn't want to be a manager, he wants to be a coach. The only club in England with a distinct structure where the manager doesn't call all the shots is City. So besides that, talk of him managing in England didn't make sense to me a few months ago and doesn't now.

Sacha Baron Corbin 01-16-2013 09:01 PM

Hopefully he can help them in the Champions League, that Chelsea game was heartbreaking. Talent is there for sure though with Bayern, not like it's an old squad or anything either.

cgf 01-16-2013 09:09 PM

Yeah, with Bayern going to two of the past three CL finals and only getting more talented and deeper, Pep will have a lot of talent to work with. And stylistically Bayern are already playing a more negative version of Barca's style. My one big question is what happens with the striker. Does Pep adapt to running his system with one of the Marios up top, or does he try to bring someone in, or even try and convert Mueller into a false nine?

Perd Hapley 01-16-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgf (Post 57708579)
Yeah, with Bayern going to two of the past three CL finals and only getting more talented and deeper, Pep will have a lot of talent to work with. And stylistically Bayern are already playing a more negative version of Barca's style. My one big question is what happens with the striker. Does Pep adapt to running his system with one of the Marios up top, or does he try to bring someone in, or even try and convert Mueller into a false nine?

I'm interested to see what he does with Ribery and Robben, he might want to clear out the big egos like he did with Ronaldinho, Deco and Eto'o, although it's hard to imagine them letting Ribery go. I can't see Gomez fitting into a Pep coached team, and I'm just throwing this out there with nothing behind it but Suarez might be perfect for the role if Bayern want to spend the money. But I think players like Muller, Kroos, and Martinez could really thrive like Pedro, Xavi, and Busquets have under Pep.

Duchene2MacKinnon 01-16-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckethead (Post 57709415)
I'm interested to see what he does with Ribery and Robben, he might want to clear out the big egos like he did with Ronaldinho, Deco and Eto'o, although it's hard to imagine them letting Ribery go. I can't see Gomez fitting into a Pep coached team, and I'm just throwing this out there with nothing behind it but Suarez might be perfect for the role if Bayern want to spend the money. But I think players like Muller, Kroos, and Martinez could really thrive like Pedro, Xavi, and Busquets have under Pep.

I was just thinking this, I don't see Gomez lasting long under Pep. I also wouldn't be surprised to see both Ribery and Robben both leave, Pep doesn't play any games.:nod:

It's going to be really interesting, to see what Pep can do with this team.

cgf 01-16-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckethead (Post 57709415)
I'm interested to see what he does with Ribery and Robben, he might want to clear out the big egos like he did with Ronaldinho, Deco and Eto'o, although it's hard to imagine them letting Ribery go. I can't see Gomez fitting into a Pep coached team, and I'm just throwing this out there with nothing behind it but Suarez might be perfect for the role if Bayern want to spend the money. But I think players like Muller, Kroos, and Martinez could really thrive like Pedro, Xavi, and Busquets have under Pep.

I could so Robben getting let go of, Muller's really surpassed him this year and is a better fit, plus they've got Shaqiri who'll continue to flourish under pep, but Ribery's going to stay, he's Bayern's best player right now, playing better than any winger other than CR7 and would fit in Pep's style of play because he's not as predictable and direct as Robben, he moves around a lot more and links up with others a lot more. Ribery's not a problem for the style in my eyes, at least not any more, he's really grown as a player over past couple of years and has become a great team guy who's really taken to the family atmosphere at Bayern. Ribery seems like the type who'll end his career with Bayern.

tomcatNYR 01-17-2013 12:24 AM

This is all contingent on the situation where Hoeness gives Guardiola the power to make those decisions on who stays and who goes. I doubt it. At FCB, the guys calling the shots are Hoeness, Rummenigge and Hopfner. Maybe he'll make suggestions, give a list of areas he would like to strenghten. Of course, he always has the option to bench the players he doesn't see fitting into his system.

les Habs 01-17-2013 01:01 AM

Smart move on both sides. Not a better manager available, if out there at all really. Pep is very professional and very driven. Bayern, as I said in this forum during earlier discussions, is a great option for anyone, especially Pep. Club is largely run very professionally. They have a great youth setup, great facilities and a current squad that has a lot of players he can work with.

On the flip side it's not Utopia. Hoeness has a big mouth and while the current squad isn't as bad as it was say ten years ago, they're FC Hollywood for a reason. And while I think Pep will be given some time and won't need it, he won't be given a clean slate as he's still an outsider and he won't have the weight he did at Barša.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcatNYR (Post 57718117)
This is all contingent on the situation where Hoeness gives Guardiola the power to make those decisions on who stays and who goes. I doubt it. At FCB, the guys calling the shots are Hoeness, Rummenigge and Hopfner. Maybe he'll make suggestions, give a list of areas he would like to strenghten. Of course, he always has the option to bench the players he doesn't see fitting into his system.

Well if they stay and Pep doesn't want them they simply won't play.

I think Pep will be fine not picking who comes in so they long as they fit the technical profile. He'll probably have a few suggestions though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgf (Post 57710405)
I could so Robben getting let go of, Muller's really surpassed him this year and is a better fit, plus they've got Shaqiri who'll continue to flourish under pep, but Ribery's going to stay, he's Bayern's best player right now, playing better than any winger other than CR7 and would fit in Pep's style of play because he's not as predictable and direct as Robben, he moves around a lot more and links up with others a lot more. Ribery's not a problem for the style in my eyes, at least not any more, he's really grown as a player over past couple of years and has become a great team guy who's really taken to the family atmosphere at Bayern. Ribery seems like the type who'll end his career with Bayern.

Ah yes, and this. Agreed on Robben. "Winger" Iniesta is there right now too for the record.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 57709767)
I was just thinking this, I don't see Gomez lasting long under Pep. I also wouldn't be surprised to see both Ribery and Robben both leave, Pep doesn't play any games.:nod:

It's going to be really interesting, to see what Pep can do with this team.

We'll have to see. I mean both Ribery and Robben were pretty heavily linked with Barša when Pep was manager. Of course he doesn't mess around though as you say and I could see both headed for the door. I would think it'd be Robben first though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckethead (Post 57709415)
I'm interested to see what he does with Ribery and Robben, he might want to clear out the big egos like he did with Ronaldinho, Deco and Eto'o, although it's hard to imagine them letting Ribery go. I can't see Gomez fitting into a Pep coached team, and I'm just throwing this out there with nothing behind it but Suarez might be perfect for the role if Bayern want to spend the money. But I think players like Muller, Kroos, and Martinez could really thrive like Pedro, Xavi, and Busquets have under Pep.

Lahm, Badstuber, Alaba, Schweinsteiger, Shaqiri... Can see them all doing well with Pep at the helm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ck26 (Post 57698373)
Any thought that at some point a couple years from now (post-Puyol, post-Xavi), we might see Pep and Leo teaming up again?

I dont' see it any time soon. Barša would have to go down hill a ways off the pitch for that to happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcatNYR (Post 57688723)
Not sure how I feel about this as a Bayern fan. I can't imagine Pep Guardiola in Lederhosen and with a 1 l pint of beer in hand at Oktoberfest.

I suppose he's already taking intensive German lessons since Uli wouldn't have it any other way.

It's highly likely Pep wouldn't have it any other way either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussi (Post 57677533)
So now we know who will succeed SAF at Old Trafford in 2016 when he retires. ;)

Well do share since I don't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panteras (Post 57679185)
Mourinho

Nah. Can't see it. Not while the Glazers are the owners. He'll want a club that's got more to spend. I can see PSG or City at this point.

les Habs 01-17-2013 01:11 AM

Forgot to mention I could see a few players headed to Munich now. Isco being one. More of a long shot, but the sort of player Pep could do something with. Villa is another. I'd say Llorrente too if they didn't already have that sort of player.

Vipers31 01-17-2013 02:35 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about a clash of heads with Hoene▀ or Rummenigge. Things are a bit different, these days, with both of them being a bit more in the background. They'll be involved on some level, but the main guy for Pep will be Sammer. Which should be a fantastic duo, as I've been absolutely convinced they share a lot in their vision of how to play this game. From all I've read, Pep actually isn't all that interested in making the decisions on which players to buy and for how much. He'll be chatting and making these decisions with Sammer, who's then going to manage the business side.

It's popular thought that Ribery and Robben will struggle with him, but I don't necessarily see that, especially with the former. I don't suspect any problems there. With Robben, I mainly remember when Pep visited our facilities as Barca coach at a pre-season tournament, he met Robben as he was massaged, and Pep had some fun with him. I can see this becoming an option, especially given that he already has a tough time securing his spot, but I don't believe it's bound to become one. It's going to be exciting all around.

les Habs 01-17-2013 02:54 AM

As regards transfers, I don't think Pep could care less how much is spent. I mean to an extent of course. I also think that he'll identify the sort of player he wants and maybe mention a name or two, but yeah, he won't be too hands on.

As for me, I don't love Bayern and I don't hate Bayern. Prefer them to enough other "big" clubs though. Of course I'd have preferred him to go to the Black Forest.

Power Man 01-17-2013 08:28 AM

http://u.goal.com/247100/247141hp2.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.