HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Paid HD Habs streaming service : does it exist? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1324847)

Strat 01-16-2013 02:51 PM

Paid HD Habs streaming service : does it exist?
 
The only thing I ever watch on TV is hockey through RDS. It's costing me a lot of money.

Is there a streaming service from Bell or anybody else that would allow me to stream Habs games in HD online? If so, can anybody point me in the right direction, please?

I'd rather pay a smaller fee for something that I'll use fully than pay a large amount for something I use minimally.

belko 01-16-2013 03:00 PM

This has come up many times but there's nothing of high enough quality and reliability available now.. nothing sanctioned, anyway. I've tried ************* and justintv and the like and while they're good in a pinch, for me they're not good enough to drop cable.

RDS zone de match was available 4 or 5 years ago, at $2.99 per game, but it vanished after that last season. There's a page you can find that says they're working on expanding it but that was years ago and it hasn't been updated since.

Trust me, I'm in the same situation as you -- I'd drop cable in a heartbeat if I could get RDS directly.

Strat 01-16-2013 03:11 PM

Too bad.

Thanks for letting me know. It wouldn't make business sense for Bell to do this since people like you & I would leave and consequently lessen their profits... but I sure wish that service existed. :(

Kyle11 01-16-2013 03:16 PM

My understanding is that the NHL eliminated this sort of thing and sells a package for all games online, except those in your market. Again, my understanding being you can buy the whole NHL package for out of market games you can't get, but if you have TV available in your region, the structure is set up that you have to use that. The RDS thing wasn't bad either...80 for the year, playoffs included if I recall correctly.

Pierre Dagenais 01-16-2013 03:17 PM

You could try NHL Gamecenter with unblock-us (http://www.unblock-us.com/)

This guy says it works: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1&postcount=15

Le Tricolore 01-16-2013 03:18 PM

You could stream the games on Hockey Night in Canada for free on CBC.ca... I know this doesn't really help you, but still...

AlexMeth 01-16-2013 03:43 PM

You can try hockey streams: http://www.*************.com/

Eggbeater 01-16-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexMeth (Post 57686965)
You can try hockey streams: http://www.*************.com/

Be careful with *************. I've used them for the previous two seasons, and the quality of the service has gradually dipped. By the end of last year, one of their HD machines was apparently down, and all the games were in low-quality SD, with the aspect-ratio all stretched out. I don't know if you can tolerate that, but a stretched picture drives me up the wall. I'm not going to be using them again this year.

Strat 01-16-2013 04:48 PM

************* sounds awesome!

Does anybody know if they have the French streams (eg. RDS)?

overlords 01-16-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strat (Post 57690979)
************* sounds awesome!

Does anybody know if they have the French streams (eg. RDS)?

Hockey streams is pretty great. I've used it for a while and they're guaranteed all NHL games will be in HD this season. Unfortunately, they'll likely be choosing the Anglo feed over RDS any time they can.

Habitants 01-16-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 57691261)
Hockey streams is pretty great. I've used it for a while and they're guaranteed all NHL games will be in HD this season. Unfortunately, they'll likely be choosing the Anglo feed over RDS any time they can.

i have been using hockey streams for several seasons. and i like it. as long as your internet connection is fast enough you should not have any problems, Over the years they have had a few gowing pains, but they seems to pull through after time.

they have improved some features this season and apparently there is an option to choose bewtween home or away broadcast feeds. not sure how this will apply to french broadcast, but they have had RDS option for feeds in the past.

i do not have cable

BobbyFischer* 01-16-2013 05:59 PM

I just purchased NHL Centerice Live.

It's 49$ which is cheaper than ************* (but no playoffs, but then again if mtl misses the playoffs, I don't care about the playoffs).

I have been using unblock-us for over a year to use with netflix, and it works the same with NHL Centerice live, so no blackouts whatsoever.

I've heard too many people having problems with *************, combined with the fact that theoretically it is not technically legal (you're giving a donation, not paying for a service) it could be shut down at any time for any reason and you won't get a penny back. Also, I hear if you have any complaints or anything the admins don't really give a crap and don't even bother replying to you.

Also, NHL GCL's quality is better, and is more reliable. (hosted on a huge server Neulion).

frederixx 01-16-2013 06:10 PM

Yup, Go with Game Center Live for 50$ with a DNS or Proxy (VPNs are slower). You can also grab a iTunes card for 40$ (50$ value) at Walmart until tomorrow and pay through Apple store.

Most of proxies can be tested for up to a week and you can cancel Game Center Live within 5 days of subscribing...

As for the playoffs, they are broadcasted on National TV anyway...

Strat 01-16-2013 06:18 PM

Well, as far as GameCenter is concerned, I'm a bit worried after reading this bit from their FAQ :

Quote:

Due to local and national blackout rules and regulations, game broadcasts that are available to watch on television in your local market and nationally televised games are not available to watch live or within 48 hours of game completion in NHL GameCenter LIVE.

To determine the teams in your local market and are, therefore, not available to watch live, please check your zip code. These games are broadcast on a regional sports network in your area.

National broadcasts may include games televised on the following networks in your area: CBC, NBC, NBC Sports Network, NHL Network, RDS and TSN. Games broadcast live on these networks - regardless of whether they are available with your cable or satellite package - are not available to watch in NHL GameCenter LIVE until 48 hours after the game is complete.
I want to watch games live. Not 2 days after. :(

Le Tricolore 01-16-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyFischer (Post 57694461)
I just purchased NHL Centerice Live.

It's 49$ which is cheaper than ************* (but no playoffs, but then again if mtl misses the playoffs, I don't care about the playoffs).

I have been using unblock-us for over a year to use with netflix, and it works the same with NHL Centerice live, so no blackouts whatsoever.

I've heard too many people having problems with *************, combined with the fact that theoretically it is not technically legal (you're giving a donation, not paying for a service) it could be shut down at any time for any reason and you won't get a penny back. Also, I hear if you have any complaints or anything the admins don't really give a crap and don't even bother replying to you.

Also, NHL GCL's quality is better, and is more reliable. (hosted on a huge server Neulion).

LOL, no, you're paying for the service. If it were the case that you were donating, then you could still use the site without "donating".

BobbyFischer* 01-16-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strat (Post 57695307)
Well, as far as GameCenter is concerned, I'm a bit worried after reading this bit from their FAQ :



I want to watch games live. Not 2 days after. :(

get unblock-us service.

It's 4.99 a month.

I use it for netflix so I can get different movies as I change which country I want netflix to reconize me in.

You can use it for NHL CGL to make it think you're in.. USA, Finland, Sweden, etc etc, you pick the country. Therefore, zero blackouts, and, zero slowdown of VPN because it's not technically a VPN.

BobbyFischer* 01-16-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 57698445)
LOL, no, you're paying for the service. If it were the case that you were donating, then you could still use the site without "donating".

Obviously that is what's happening, but since it isn't legal for them to do this, technically, in the fine print, you are simply donating money, that is it.

So if anything ever happens, they are not liable, for 1, because their servers are in .nl, and 2, they are not selling a service, you are simply making a donation, and they are 'letting' you see their streams.

Le Tricolore 01-16-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyFischer (Post 57698865)
Obviously that is what's happening, but since it isn't legal for them to do this, technically, in the fine print, you are simply donating money, that is it.

So if anything ever happens, they are not liable, for 1, because their servers are in .nl, and 2, they are not selling a service, you are simply making a donation, and they are 'letting' you see their streams.

No, pretty sure they'd still get in legal trouble for that. The fact that the servers are in the Netherlands is the only thing saving them.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the serivce exists, but it isn't legal by any means.

Anywho, off to listen to some mp3s I downoaded on Torrent...

BobbyFischer* 01-16-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 57699271)
No, pretty sure they'd still get in legal trouble for that. The fact that the servers are in the Netherlands is the only thing saving them.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the serivce exists, but it isn't legal by any means.

Anywho, off to listen to some mp3s I downoaded on Torrent...

Umm.. yeah... I'm not sure what we're disagreeing with here... hrmmm...

JLP 01-22-2013 03:49 PM

Streaming Habs Games
 
I used to live in Japan and Game Center got me every Habs game. Now I'm in Toronto and just found out I won't be able to watch any Habs games on Game Center this year, anything on RDS is blacked out in Toronto (which is not what they told me a few days back when I bought the service).

My setup is I don't have a TV or cable (use a computer and video projector for my film viewing). Any ideas on how I can watch Habs games this year would be appreciated! I'm not a fan of the unauthorized streams they tend not to be so dependable.

JLP 01-22-2013 03:57 PM

Sorry just found this thread w/ similar query: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=57708179

Mods could merge if that's better

overlords 01-22-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLP (Post 58093747)
I used to live in Japan and Game Center got me every Habs game. Now I'm in Toronto and just found out I won't be able to watch any Habs games on Game Center this year, anything on RDS is blacked out in Toronto (which is not what they told me a few days back when I bought the service).

My setup is I don't have a TV or cable (use a computer and video projector for my film viewing). Any ideas on how I can watch Habs games this year would be appreciated! I'm not a fan of the unauthorized streams they tend not to be so dependable.

I'm starting to sound like a pusher, but give ************* a shot. I'm loving it. I've watched a ton of NHL games this season on it.

JLP 01-22-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyFischer (Post 57698681)
get unblock-us service.

It's 4.99 a month.

I use it for netflix so I can get different movies as I change which country I want netflix to reconize me in.

You can use it for NHL CGL to make it think you're in.. USA, Finland, Sweden, etc etc, you pick the country. Therefore, zero blackouts, and, zero slowdown of VPN because it's not technically a VPN.

I bought Game Center Live already (Habs fan in Toronto, Habs games all blacked out here it seems -- they did not say that when i bought the service grrr). Anyway if I add "unblock-us" will GSL accept that I'm suddenly in, say, Finland? I mean I just moved here from Japan, I do get around but does your initial address registration with GSL carry through your entire subscription?

CrazyShea 01-22-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLP (Post 58094569)
If I bought Game center already and now I add and use unblock-us will GSL accept that I'm suddenly in, say, Finland?

I'm doing the same thing it's awesome. You can even change what feed you want to want between the home or visitor team so you don't have to listen to annoying commentators such as Pierre Mcguire and the worst of all Jack Edwards

JLP 01-22-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyShea (Post 58094799)
I'm doing the same thing it's awesome. You can even change what feed you want to want between the home or visitor team so you don't have to listen to annoying commentators such as Pierre Mcguire and the worst of all Jack Edwards

With GCL and Unblock? Thanks. Listening to Jack Edwards is like picking at a scab, it hurts but some dark part of me enjoys it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.