HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   P.K. Subban Thread - Mk III - Unsigned Edition (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1325837)

PricePkPatch 01-17-2013 03:33 PM

P.K. Subban Thread - Mk III - Unsigned Edition

We just hit page 41, so let's keep going in here

hogtownhabsfan* 01-17-2013 03:34 PM

**** agents.

OneSharpMarble 01-17-2013 03:35 PM

Just curious would anyone trade Subban for Benn if we could then flip Plekanec for a very good top pairing dman?

CN_paladin 01-17-2013 03:36 PM

Meehan is an arse for sure but don't tell me Subban isn't slightly greedy.

PricePkPatch 01-17-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onesharpmarble (Post 57747753)
just curious would anyone trade subban for benn if we could then flip plekanec for a very good top pairing dman?

ntc?

Le depisteur 01-17-2013 03:37 PM

Kulikov signed for 2 years
Harvey Fialkov of Sun-Sentinel tweets:

Harvey Fialkov @hfialkov 1m
Panthers justs signed D Dmitry Kulikov to 2 yr deal, confirmed by agent and Kuli.#flapanthers

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1325825

id4joey 01-17-2013 03:38 PM

Fan Fav

It's going to get ugly in Montreal if they don't sign PK after the hockey fans just went through this lockout. PK is a fan favorite so the Habs better sign him very soon.

Marc the Habs Fan 01-17-2013 03:41 PM

More ammo for Bergevin's stance now with that Kulikov re-signing...

Dr Gonzo 01-17-2013 03:42 PM

Benn just signed as well apparently, waiting on the details.

C'mon PK, Don & Marc, get'er done.

PricePkPatch 01-17-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 57748067)
More ammo for Bergevin's stance now with that Kulikov re-signing...

Indeed. But I do believe there was another long-term signing earlier.

I still believe it'll come down to the fans' reaction in the first game(s).

MathMan 01-17-2013 03:46 PM

I'm not getting the hold up. Given Subban's status as an high-end #1 D-man, a long-term deal would be heavily to the benefit of the club, assuming the dollar amount was reasonable.

Unless Bergevin is following the insanity of some of the Montreal media and using del Zotto as a comparable (and, therefore, heavily lowballing Subban) I'm not getting his reticence.

PK is a special player, plain and simple.

habtastic 01-17-2013 03:48 PM

Maybe this is part of the fan giveback.

During the opening ceremony, players introduced (AK makes cameo appearance to say his two words), crowd will inevitably be chanting PK. (Book it!)

All of a sudden lights go out and a confused murmur comes over the crowd. A minute later a light in the ceiling appears and PK parachutes down holding a lit torch to hit center ice initiating the full ice fire graphic.

It is then revealed that due to a recently written clause in the CBA (since it's now tots open to re-writing), you may hide a contract signing for reasons of suspense. Also, Meehan then goes on to win the world poker tournament.

PricePkPatch 01-17-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habtastic (Post 57748489)

During the opening ceremony, players introduced (AK makes cameo appearance to say his two words), crowd will inevitably be chanting PK. (Book it!)

All of a sudden lights go out and a confused murmur comes over the crowd. A minute later a light in the ceiling appears and PK parachutes down holding a lit torch to hit center ice initiating the full ice fire graphic.

It is then revealed that due to a recently written clause in the CBA (since it's now tots open to re-writing), you may hide a contract signing for reasons of suspense. Also, Meehan then goes on to win the world poker tournament.

:handclap:

Thank you for the 20 seconds of daydreaming you just gave me...

Pierre Dagenais 01-17-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habtastic (Post 57748489)

LMAO. :laugh:

Is this the WWE?

Andy 01-17-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathMan (Post 57748375)
I'm not getting the hold up. Given Subban's status as an high-end #1 D-man, a long-term deal would be heavily to the benefit of the club, assuming the dollar amount was reasonable.

Unless Bergevin is following the insanity of some of the Montreal media and using del Zotto as a comparable (and, therefore, heavily lowballing Subban) I'm not getting his reticence.

Good to have you back MathMan. You're bang on too.

Miller Time 01-17-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

quoted for truth

Et le But 01-17-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble (Post 57747753)
Just curious would anyone trade Subban for Benn if we could then flip Plekanec for a very good top pairing dman?

If anything Subban is being traded for Vinny or some other "character" veteran like Chelios was.

Dr Gonzo 01-17-2013 03:53 PM

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
"Nothing new," @PKSubban1 agent Don Meehan texts me of negotiations with #Habs that we can assume are now fully stalled

eh....

Lshap 01-17-2013 03:54 PM

PK's bargaining power goes down once the season starts. Right now, he's a big story. In two days, he becomes overshadowed by the team, the league and the games, all going on with or without him. Once everyone's caught up in the action, the contract woes of a single player won't seem as important.

MathMan 01-17-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lshap (Post 57748843)
PK's bargaining power goes down once the season starts. Right now, he's a big story. In two days, he becomes overshadowed by the team, the league and the games, all going on with or without him. Once everyone's caught up in the action, the contract woes of a single player won't seem as important.

Unless the Habs struggle in the absence of their best D-man, play-driver, and arguably best and most impactful player.

habtastic 01-17-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Agree. It's my preferred situation, although what I can surmise from the current gridlock is that he is asking for an unreasonable amount in the long-term situation.

DJ Breadman 01-17-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

It's not quite that simple, there is an issue with eating into his free agent years, the best option would be to sign him to a short term deal(which MB wants to do) Then sign him to a long term deal

Lshap 01-17-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

I said precisely the same thing yesterday and still believe it'll play out the way we both want, with a long-term deal. Lock him in for six years at a mildly inflated price, versus saving a couple of million now but having to pay wildly inflated prices after two years. It's bad economics and bad management strategy.

Goldthorpe 01-17-2013 04:00 PM

Subban has been a slow starter in the past, and he hasn't been playing at all since the begining of the season. I know he trains hard, but in my opinion it can't replace game time completely. Has he thought of the consequences if he manage to become one if not the highest paid player in the team, and struggle all season long to regain his form? The fans are ready to accept inconscistency from their prospects, but they are rabid against their well paid vets. I hope Subban see this scenario, because for a media darling like him, the fall could be very hard. In Montreal the line between savior and spacegoat can be pretty thin. Ask Price about it.

Cupmonger 01-17-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by id4joey (Post 57747881)
It's going to get ugly in Montreal if they don't sign PK after the hockey fans just went through this lockout. PK is a fan favorite so the Habs better sign him very soon.

Can go both ways. Some fans will urge Bergi to sign him at all costs. They'll get mad at him for either taking so long, losing him or signing for too much. Some fans will hate PK for being so difficult and wanting to cash in.

I don't blame PK for wanting to cash in. He has a right to. He was important for us ever since he came to the team. Sure last year he wasn't as impressive. But the entire team sucked... What annoys me is that they can't seem to find a common ground. I'd rather they either sign him, or move on at this point.