HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Hawks before drafting Toews and Kane (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1326195)

Puckgenius* 01-17-2013 10:10 PM

Hawks before drafting Toews and Kane

How did the roster look? Just curious. Someone want to post the lines? How bad was the team during these years where attendance was low and before rebuilding?

And most importantly, the biggest question is how did management turn this club from a bottom 5 basement team to a stacked cup contender?

Cullksinikers 01-17-2013 10:12 PM

It's hard to come up with a set of lines. I remember a lot of the guys, but I don't quite remember the lines. My guess is that someone like DHF will know it better than I will.

They had a lot of fillers and guys coming in and out that didn't leave them with a consistent set of lines.

MurrayBannerman 01-17-2013 10:56 PM

Lots of Mark Bell, Tyler Arnason, and Kyle Calder

Tidbits of Phil Housley and Peter Bondra.

Sad states that were Lasse Kukonen, Brandon Bochenski, Adam Munro, et al.

At least tickets were $7 with a student id.

Martini* 01-17-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckgenius (Post 57768029)
How did the roster look? Just curious. Someone want to post the lines? How bad was the team during these years where attendance was low and before rebuilding?

And most importantly, the biggest question is how did management turn this club from a bottom 5 basement team to a stacked cup contender?

Dale Tallon

Cullksinikers 01-17-2013 11:03 PM

I remember thinking Jeff Hamilton was going to be pretty good.

Oops!

Gootie 01-17-2013 11:09 PM

Hawks before Toews and Kane? What?

MurrayBannerman 01-17-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cullksinikers (Post 57770707)
I remember thinking Jeff Hamilton was going to be pretty good.

Oops!

Likewise actually. And Scottie Nichol.

Cullksinikers 01-17-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman (Post 57771029)
Likewise actually. And Scottie Nichol.

I remember Hamilton going HAM in the pre-season.

Cullksinikers 01-17-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gootie (Post 57770949)
Hawks before Toews and Kane? What?

Gootie is a 13-year-old girl.

EdgeR44 01-17-2013 11:18 PM

Denis Arkhipov, 2nd line center. Martin Havlat, franchise player. [I really love Havlat and he still is to this day my favorite player even away from the Hawks but he is no franchise player.]

Terrible days.

Transformation was the addition of Toews, Kane and also Campbell no matter what others say. Not to forget Coach Q.

Cullksinikers 01-17-2013 11:20 PM

Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Glen Hull, Ed Litzenberger, Pierre Pilote, Chico Maki, Eric Nesterenko....wait, huh? Not that far back, you say?

Cullksinikers 01-17-2013 11:21 PM

I miss the MPH Line.

Chris Hansen 01-17-2013 11:23 PM

Don't forget Ruutu. One of the few bright spots of those teams, insofar as his being a genuinely competent player.

Vorobiev for a bit. Very talented player, actually... never really got a fair shot.

Remember Yakubov? Ugh.

Cullksinikers 01-17-2013 11:27 PM

I wonder what Michael Nylander is doing these days.

And to think some wanted to trade Byfuglien to bring him back. Yikes.

EdgeR44 01-17-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hansen (Post 57771469)
Don't forget Ruutu. One of the few bright spots of those teams, insofar as his being a genuinely competent player.

Vorobiev for a bit. Very talented player, actually... never really got a fair shot.

Remember Yakubov? Ugh.

Ugh, I can't believe we wasted two first round picks in 2000 for these two in a row.

Our next picks were Jonas Nordquist, Igor Radulov.

If I'm not mistaken not a single player we drafted that draft ended up having any meaningful impact. And by meaningful impact I mean playing more than 2 seasons.

Awful drafting, this team was doomed.

Chris Hansen 01-17-2013 11:30 PM

I definitely remember Steve Thomas somewhere in those times. Those seasons have all melded together in my mind, hard to distinguish between them. Oh, and the corpse of Theo Fleury.

Cullksinikers 01-17-2013 11:32 PM

And to think we had that bad of rosters and have Jonathan, Patrick, and Kyle to thank for helping start a renaissance.

Son of a Beach.

MurrayBannerman 01-17-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hansen (Post 57771701)
I definitely remember Steve Thomas somewhere in those times. Those seasons have all melded together in my mind, hard to distinguish between them. Oh, and the corpse of Theo Fleury.

Pretty much the same here.

Ryan Vandenbucche. The best.

xX Hot Fuss 01-18-2013 12:42 AM

Eric Daze

Bubba88 01-18-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckgenius (Post 57768029)

ah, the great times with Bell and Karl Stewart :laugh:

being bad and getting Kane and Toews for free turned this club around with the addition of the death of old Wirtz

DisgruntledHawkFan 01-18-2013 03:10 AM

Bell Arnason Calder
Moen/MacLean MacLean/Nichol Ruutu

Was our top six at one time. With Jon Klemm as a top pairing defenseman.

Sir Psycho T 01-18-2013 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss (Post 57773725)
Eric Daze

Was waiting for someone to mention him.

Guy was a power forward with skill, scored 30+ 3 times and if it weren't for back issues could have been a real good player for a long time.

For me the low point was 98-99, yes this team had missed the play-offs for a few years but there where still competative. That year though the Hawks finished near the bottom of the NHL and traded Chelios to the Redwings, of all the teams to trade him to the REDWINGS! That year was the hardest year to remain of Hawks fan after, it seemed the team had just given up.

DisgruntledHawkFan 01-18-2013 03:41 AM

In what alternate universe was Daze a power forward? He used his size to stand in the slot and rip one timers.

Chelios 01-18-2013 06:03 AM

I remember just absolutely hating Steve Paopst with a passion. Those were some dark times. When your #1 line is comprised of 3 young guys who literally were out of the NHL before the age of 30, you wonder how things turned around so quickly.

One of the reasons I find it so funny when people around here are just irrationally negative towards this team is looking back at those years. I just wonder what these same people would have been saying pre Toews/Kane.

Ace Rothstein 01-18-2013 07:14 AM

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Chris Simon.