HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Realistic Expections for Dougie Hamilton This Season. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1326317)

Afam* 01-18-2013 05:26 AM

Realistic Expections for Dougie Hamilton This Season.

On the Bruins sports daily site, i pecked him at 20-25 goals and 30- 40 assists and some posters told me that would be a great season for Dougie and if he had that, they would go nuts.

I have seen them tampered my exceptions and now knowing what a good stats for a Nhl Defenseman should look like, i say that Dougie Hamilton scores 8, 9 goals and tails about 15 assists and gets some minutes on the second Powerplay. What do others think?

Shaun 01-18-2013 05:37 AM

11 points

SpokedLightning 01-18-2013 05:47 AM

If he learns to play great D and has 10-15 points I'd say that's a great 1st season for him.

Latrappe 01-18-2013 05:53 AM

Points doesn't matter. He need to learn how to become an NHL'er and play sound defense,first.

jasonbaz77* 01-18-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latrappe (Post 57776651)
Points doesn't matter. He need to learn how to become an NHL'er and play sound defense,first.

Yep, I want to see the same curve as Seguin. A great season means he cuts his mistakes down to a minimum. Seguin was a liability on the ice when he first started, then by the end he became a weapon with imperfections.

It won't be points as much as passing the eye test. I have a feeling we will be very happy by the end of the season as long as he gets some playing time and listens to guys like DS and Chara.

BNHL 01-18-2013 06:20 AM

3 goals 6 assists.

Salem13 01-18-2013 07:07 AM

I predict the boards will be afire with Claude's mishandling by February.

amazingcrwns 01-18-2013 07:19 AM

I think he ends up with 3 goals, 10 assists and plays in 40 games. I think 8 games in the press box watching and learning souns about right. I'm not worried about what he does in the offensive zone though, this season should be about learning the NHL game and improving on the defensive end of the ice. I think the 3 goals and 10 assists will come because he'll spend a fair amount of time on the powerplay.

Nightslyr 01-18-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEasyA (Post 57776473)
On the Bruins sports daily site, i pecked him at 20-25 goals and 30- 40 assists and some posters told me that would be a great season for Dougie and if he had that, they would go nuts.

I have seen them tampered my exceptions and now knowing what a good stats for a Nhl Defenseman should look like, i say that Dougie Hamilton scores 8, 9 goals and tails about 15 assists and gets some minutes on the second Powerplay. What do others think?

There's so much more to hockey, especially for defensemen, than points. What you should look for:

Positioning - does he take good angles to the puck carrier, or does he seem to get turned around/forced to scramble a lot? When the puck is away from him, is he still covering his side near the front of the net?

Physical play - does he initiate contact? Can he take the puck away from an opponent, or at least pin them to the boards for someone else to come in and take it away? Does he get knocked down a lot, or can he stay on his skates even after someone tries to hit him?

Puck skills - can he make good passes to get the puck out of the defensive zone, or does he simply give it away? Can he keep the puck in the offensive zone when it gets shot around the boards?

As a rookie, he'll be inconsistent in all those things. The important thing is that he shows some improvement as time goes on. Defenseman is a very hard position to learn. Most don't get comfortable/competent until after they play in the league for a few years. So, the key isn't to have unrealistic expectations. Looking at it like, "He needs X points or else he sucks," is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

At this stage in Hamilton's career, any offensive output would be gravy. The key to this year is him getting comfortable in Julien's system and playing against men. When he gets to the point where the system feels natural to him (when he can react and play on instinct rather than think), and when he earns increased ice time, his offensive numbers will come.

chippa13* 01-18-2013 07:24 AM

15 goals 58 assists

playing in the O.

ODAAT 01-18-2013 07:34 AM

GP- 38
G-3
A- 11
Pts- 14

TOI, first 20 games 10-12 mins per

Final 18- 12-15mins

Continued development from the kid as this shortened season moves along, learning from an excellent coaching staff and a buncha wise men on the blueline:)

jmeehan1985 01-18-2013 07:35 AM

I know it's hard to be optimistic about Hamilton having a great year but he will have a much better opportunity then Seguin did. There is a much more of a need for a defenseman. This kid has elite talent and I think by years end could see some first Powerplay time. I do agree with the post saying he will watch a few games in the press box but assuming he does get somewhere around 25 to 30 Pts would not surprise me at all. He was the defenseman player of the year in Juniors and I think he will shock people in his first year in Boston. Lets Go Bruins Bring back the Cup!!!

ODAAT 01-18-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BergyMeister (Post 57776605)
If he learns to play great D and has 10-15 points I'd say that's a great 1st season for him.

Agreed and those stats will also produce some here to begin threads like "Dougie`s being ruined by Claude":sarcasm:

JoeIsAStud 01-18-2013 07:35 AM

40 games and 500 minutes. Plays postseason games

I hope he is able to dress consistently, and also play when he does dress. Will be disappointing if he starts pulling 5-8 minutes of ice time games

jmeehan1985 01-18-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud (Post 57778051)

I hope he is able to dress consistently, and also play when he does dress. Will be disappointing if he starts pulling 5-8 minutes of ice time games

You can have a top 6 defenseman playing 5 to 8 mins a game

ODAAT 01-18-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud (Post 57778051)

Whether he dresses consistently won`t be the question IMO, it`s whether he shows enough on the ice for the coaching staff to continue putting him out there. How much Dougie plays depends on Dougie.

BruinsBtn 01-18-2013 08:10 AM

Same as my expectations for Seguin in year 1.

That he has a good attitude and works hard. Some semblance of the ability to keep the puck out of his own net would be nice as well.

LSCII 01-18-2013 08:14 AM

37 g, 84 a.

:sarcasm:

bp13 01-18-2013 08:15 AM

15 G, 55A, 70 Pts.

Norris Trophy

BubbaBoot 01-18-2013 08:20 AM

To stay healthy and not fall prey to the maladies that did in Gordie Kluzak.

(Excuse me, I now have to knock on wood).....

Afam* 01-18-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightslyr (Post 57777753)
There's so much more to hockey, especially for defensemen, than points. What you should look for:

Positioning - does he take good angles to the puck carrier, or does he seem to get turned around/forced to scramble a lot? When the puck is away from him, is he still covering his side near the front of the net?

Physical play - does he initiate contact? Can he take the puck away from an opponent, or at least pin them to the boards for someone else to come in and take it away? Does he get knocked down a lot, or can he stay on his skates even after someone tries to hit him?

Puck skills - can he make good passes to get the puck out of the defensive zone, or does he simply give it away? Can he keep the puck in the offensive zone when it gets shot around the boards?

As a rookie, he'll be inconsistent in all those things. The important thing is that he shows some improvement as time goes on. Defenseman is a very hard position to learn. Most don't get comfortable/competent until after they play in the league for a few years. So, the key isn't to have unrealistic expectations. Looking at it like, "He needs X points or else he sucks," is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

At this stage in Hamilton's career, any offensive output would be gravy. The key to this year is him getting comfortable in Julien's system and playing against men. When he gets to the point where the system feels natural to him (when he can react and play on instinct rather than think), and when he earns increased ice time, his offensive numbers will come.

Thanks bro. I agree with everything you just said. That was very informative and i learnt alot my reading it. It should be called Key guide on how to be a good NHl Defenseman

Afam* 01-18-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightslyr (Post 57777753)

Thanks bro. I agree with everything you just said. That was very informative and i learnt alot my reading it. It should be called Key guide on how to be a good NHl Defenseman

side note. I had a leaf fan send me a friend request.lol. Cmon now.

Fire Julien 01-18-2013 08:51 AM

8 G, 12 A, 3 fights, +15

BBB24 01-18-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salem13 (Post 57777491)
I predict the boards will be afire with Claude's mishandling by February.

I think you are being pretty generous, I predict that boards will be afire by Sunday morning.

Artemis 01-18-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBB24 (Post 57780461)
I think you are being pretty generous, I predict that boards will be afire by Sunday morning.

"He's RUININ the kid!!"

My only expectation of Dougie is that he adjusts and improves.