HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Our defense: who dresses and depth chart (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1326709)

petrocelli 01-18-2013 03:27 PM

Our defense: who dresses and depth chart

So with all these waiver pickups and the Visnosky situation, what does the depth chart look like now with/without Visnovsky and who dresses for the opener tomorrow night?? Here's my crack at it:

Opening night vs. Devils:

Streit Martinek

McDonald Hamonic

Hickey Carkner

Scratches: Strait and Finley

** As it stands now, I see Strait as our #7 D-man and Finley only playing if Carkner gets hurt. We can't afford two of our six D-men to be fighters, but if Carkner gets hurt, Finley can play his role until Carkner comes back. If Carkner is healthy, Finley eventually goes to Bridgeport when we can actually send him there without him having to clear waivers again.

If Visnovsky comes back:

Streit Hamonic

Visnovsky McDonald

Martinek Carkner

Scratches: Hickey and Strait (Finley in Bridgeport)...

** Hickey is scratched until someone gets hurt. Being Martinek is in the lineup, that should take all of 2 games. The Isles always go through 8 or 9 D-men easily, so I expect our 7th and 8th D-men (Hickey and Strait) to see alot of time.

If you want to look at it purely as a depth chart:

1. Streit
2. Hamonic
3. Visnovsky
4. McDonald
5. Carkner

6. Martinek

7. Hickey
8. Strait

9. Finley (strictly used if Carkner gets hurt). Consider him Carkner's backup.

The guy who seems like the odd man out this year in all of this is Matt Donovan. I think we all saw him as a lock to make the team a few weeks ago. I guess they decided even before the lockout was settled that he isn't ready yet and needs a full season in Bridgeport.

The crazy thing is once Finley and perhaps Strait end up in Bridgeport, and then the junior league seasons end, Kichton, Pelech and perhaps Pedan will all be eligible to sign contracts and perhaps join Bridgeport for the playoff run. What the Bridgeport blueline looks like by the end of the season is beyond me.

Gleb2006 01-18-2013 03:29 PM

Looks about right, just I think I'd put Martinek above Carkner in the pure depth chart when hes healthy

StrongIslanders90 01-18-2013 03:30 PM

I really Hope Hickey gets a legit shot.

StumpNYI 01-18-2013 03:31 PM

Macdonald. Normally wouldn't correct you but there is a Mcdonald on the roster. Don't be a Butch. ;)

scott99 01-18-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StumpNYI (Post 57800731)
Macdonald. Normally wouldn't correct you but there is a Mcdonald on the roster. Don't be a Butch. ;)

But Butch is so DAMNED FUNNY !

StumpNYI 01-18-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott99 (Post 57800951)
But Butch is so DAMNED FUNNY !

True. Would rather be a Butch then a Lubo. I know we got plenty of those around here.

bigd 01-19-2013 06:42 AM

I wouldn't doubt if you see Strait in tonights lineup. It would be kind of tough since he probably had a long travel day and no practices with the team. Hickey has zero NHL games to his resume. I don't care if he was a #4 pick. I think Strait is a more pollished player and sticks to defense.

Hipster Doofus 01-19-2013 07:34 AM

Brian Strait played 9 regular season games last year in the NHL. I like the pickup but Hickey isnt lagging farbehind in experience.

A Pointed Stick 01-19-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigd (Post 57830089)
I wouldn't doubt if you see Strait in tonights lineup. It would be kind of tough since he probably had a long travel day and no practices with the team. Hickey has zero NHL games to his resume. I don't care if he was a #4 pick. I think Strait is a more pollished player and sticks to defense.

They need another puck mover so my first thought would be Hickey, but who knows. It is Cappy's call after all, and we know he is given to moments of artistic license. They could start the Jones-derby by putting Finley in if Cap wakes up on the wrong side this morning.

camper 01-19-2013 08:31 AM

Once again theres a lot of hype concerning team scoring "which is important" but more important "team toughness" This is not a team that plays a smash mouth brand of hockey in their top 9.
You can try to finess scoring all day, accomplishing such irregularly then claiming success.
Until the Isles plant their meanest players out front and shoot from the points they will not have a consistent offence. They have the tools to play a Boston/Philly style yet fill their top 9 with so called finess players. Sorry but small forwards are small forwards in the NHL.
The back end has more grit now but the Isles will need to change their style of play in the offensive end. The Vancouver's etc of the NHL are inserting young toughness on top lines to balance their finess.
Listen to teams chomping at the bit to find sandpaper to add to their top lines in the media. The Isles relegate their toughness to the 4th line.
Might be more a case of they haven't inserted toughness on the top lines due to the majority of the top 9 to date cannot play this game anyway. There is talent on this club, yet tunnel vision on using their tools may be the problem.
The team has tried putting a big guy out front periodically, then cannot get the puck to the net, next abandoning this style. Get people who will get the puck to the net so this style works.

doublechili 01-19-2013 09:35 AM

I'll believe Vis plays a minute for the Isles when I see it.

Streit, Hamonic and MacDonald are set. I think you might see a bit of a rotation among Martinek (who will get more games if healthy), Carkner, Strait and Hickey. Finley would get some games too to stay fresh, unless they risk losing him by sending down to BP before 30 days.

redbull 01-19-2013 09:39 AM

I think hickey plays tonight and likely splits time with strait as they get some practices in.

petrocelli 01-19-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Haha.... sorry about that..... I actually took the time to look up the spelling of Visnovsky for this thread, but McDonald/Macdonald.... I figured I'd take my chances.. Either way, I see Macdonald in the lineup, but not so sure about Mcdonald.... Now I'm hungey for an Egg McMuffin!!! :D

Renbarg 01-19-2013 10:18 AM

A lot could happen in just a few days. People will play their way into lineups, and play their way out of lineups. There are also injuries.

One thing is for certain, with the condensed schedule, I'm happy that the Islanders have a full 23 man roster, they'll use everyone, and everyone will get the ice time to show that they belong (or don't belong) on this team.

PWJunior 01-19-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrocelli (Post 57834495)
Haha.... sorry about that..... I actually took the time to look up the spelling of Visnovsky for this thread, but McDonald/Macdonald.... I figured I'd take my chances.. Either way, I see Macdonald in the lineup, but not so sure about Mcdonald.... Now I'm hungey for an Egg McMuffin!!! :D

At the time of your posting... McDonalds stops selling breakfast stuff. How damn frustrating is that?

StumpNYI 01-19-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWJunior (Post 57835295)
At the time of your posting... McDonalds stops selling breakfast stuff. How damn frustrating is that?

Wow, the irony just blew my mind. He had a minute left actually. I wonder if Petrocelli made it in time?

petrocelli 01-19-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StumpNYI (Post 57837121)
Wow, the irony just blew my mind. He had a minute left actually. I wonder if Petrocelli made it in time?

Actually ended up at a Mexican Cafe.. Eggs with jalapenos, chorizo, refried beans and rice... Yum!!

Btw, Hello PW! Hope all is well... I'll shoot you a message to catch up.. Here's to a fun season that either leads to the playoffs or to Seth Jones (would actually be happy with any of the top 10).. But I'd prefer the playoffs... Hoping to see Bailey show he has a future here and excited for all the talent in Bridgeport on the horizon.. Specifically, Nino, Nelson and Sundstrom!!

Pnut 01-19-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Oh Butchy :help:
MacDonald
McDonald

Streit
Strait

Can't wait a few years when Butch goofs up....
Nilsson to Nielsen to Nelson

petrocelli 01-29-2013 10:34 PM

So over the course of a few weeks since opening night, the defensive picture is a little more clear. Brian Strait is a pleasant surprise. Although he's only played two games, Hickey is looking like he will be a very nice pickup as well. Both of these guys are intelligent puck movers. Finley looks like he can serve a sole purpose of backing up Carkner. When Carkner can't go and the staff feels his muscle needs to be replaced in the lineup, Finley can step in. Otherwise, let him go protect the kids at Bridgeport.

If Visnovsky comes back with the right attitude and gives 100%, we have enough skill and depth on the blue line to push for a playoff spot.

I know we're not looking at Kenny Jonsson or Adrian Aucoin, but who would have ever thought our D would be 8 or 9 players deep WITHOUT Donovan, De Haan or Wishart??? These pickups won't bring us the Cup, but if we are seriously in the playoff hunt until the end, it should make for a fun season...

Not bad:

Streit Hamonic

Viznovsky McDonald

Strait Carkner

Martinek Finley

***Donovan and De Haan, see you at training camp next season...

StrongIslanders90 01-29-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrocelli (Post 58656657)
So over the course of a few weeks since opening night, the defensive picture is a little more clear. Brian Strait is a pleasant surprise. Although he's only played two games, Hickey is looking like he will be a very nice pickup as well. Both of these guys are intelligent puck movers. Finley looks like he can serve a sole purpose of backing up Carkner. When Carkner can't go and the staff feels his muscle needs to be replaced in the lineup, Finley can step in. Otherwise, let him go protect the kids at Bridgeport.

If Visnovsky comes back with the right attitude and gives 100%, we have enough skill and depth on the blue line to push for a playoff spot.

I know we're not looking at Kenny Jonsson or Adrian Aucoin, but who would have ever thought our D would be 8 or 9 players deep WITHOUT Donovan, De Haan or Wishart??? These pickups won't bring us the Cup, but if we are seriously in the playoff hunt until the end, it should make for a fun season...

Not bad:

Streit Hamonic

Viznovsky McDonald

Strait Carkner

Martinek Finley

Either Hickey or Strait will be the odd man out when Vis gets here....

Renbarg 01-29-2013 11:07 PM

Assuming there are no injuries....

Strait is playing 18 + minutes like Streit is. AMac and Hamonic are playing 25+. Carkner and Finley/Hickey are playing 12+. Its pretty safe to assume that Vis would replace the Finley/Hickey spot on the roster and he would slot into the second pair and playing 18ish minutes (once acclimated).

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS 01-29-2013 11:45 PM

Visnovsky will replace Finley

bigd 01-30-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrocelli (Post 58656657)

Not bad:

Streit Hamonic

Viznovsky McDonald

Strait Carkner

Martinek Finley

I don't think you're going to see the A Mac and Harmonic pairing broken up. And Strait is the perfect guy to play with Streit, just plays solid D and stays back to cover for Streit. I wouldn't be surprised to see Viz start off with Carkner. Anyway I think if they stay healthy those top six can play against anyone.
I like the way Hickey has played but there's no way he bumps Strait out of the lineup. He's just too small and it showed against the Jets.

seafoam 01-30-2013 09:08 AM

When Vis gets here, I think Finley will be the only one gone. Marty is too much of an injury concern. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with him as the 7th defenseman.

Keep both Hickey and Marty and rotate accordingly.

bigd 01-30-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick (Post 57831301)
They need another puck mover so my first thought would be Hickey, but who knows. It is Cappy's call after all, and we know he is given to moments of artistic license. They could start the Jones-derby by putting Finley in if Cap wakes up on the wrong side this morning.

They are scoring 3.5 goals a game and giving up 3.5 goals a game, do you really think they need another puck mover more than a defensive minded D-man?:shakehead Besides when Vis gets here they will have more than enough puck movers.