HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Jeremy Jacobs is angry about lockout (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1327741)

Fenway 01-19-2013 07:56 PM

Jeremy Jacobs is angry about lockout

Jacobs had a news conference tonight. Here is the audio.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2156653/0119...lie_Jacobs.mp3

Jacobs cited his team’s situation – recent Stanley Cup winner, playing in a sold-out building, featuring a contending roster – as reasons why, as an owner, he would have been against a lockout. However, as board chairman, Jacobs said he had a greater responsibility. “I’m the last guy that wants to shut this thing down. Absolutely the last ones out there,” Jacobs said. “There’s a couple Canadian teams – I don’t have to name them – that irrespective are going to be very successful. This is a successful franchise. I don’t want this to shut down. Unfortunately, I play in a league with 30 teams. When I step back and look at what’s going on with the broadest sense, I’ve got to play a role productively in that way. My selfish interest definitely was to keep this going within the parameters of the deal that was out there. But it doesn’t make sense for the league long-term. We have a lot of people that were very tired of this. A lot of people that were promised we would right-size this. I had to play a role in it. From a leadership standpoint, I think I had to play a role. To be vilified, I don’t think is right. But what’s my opinion on something like that?”

“Nobody won,” Jacobs said. “More importantly, nobody lost. If I won and they lost, then we both lost. If I won and they lost, we both lose. This is a game. We did hurt the game. We didn’t just hurt Boston. We hurt the game of hockey.”

Confound 01-19-2013 08:00 PM

Cry me a river Jacobs.

BigBadBruin8 01-19-2013 08:00 PM

**** Jeremy Jacobs.

That is all.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot 01-19-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenway (Post 57889695)
Jacobs had a news conference tonight. Here is the audio.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2156653/0119...lie_Jacobs.mp3

Jacobs cited his team’s situation – recent Stanley Cup winner, playing in a sold-out building, featuring a contending roster – as reasons why, as an owner, he would have been against a lockout. However, as board chairman, Jacobs said he had a greater responsibility. “I’m the last guy that wants to shut this thing down. Absolutely the last ones out there,” Jacobs said. “There’s a couple Canadian teams – I don’t have to name them – that irrespective are going to be very successful. This is a successful franchise. I don’t want this to shut down. Unfortunately, I play in a league with 30 teams. When I step back and look at what’s going on with the broadest sense, I’ve got to play a role productively in that way. My selfish interest definitely was to keep this going within the parameters of the deal that was out there. But it doesn’t make sense for the league long-term. We have a lot of people that were very tired of this. A lot of people that were promised we would right-size this. I had to play a role in it. From a leadership standpoint, I think I had to play a role. To be vilified, I don’t think is right. But what’s my opinion on something like that?”

“Nobody won,” Jacobs said. “More importantly, nobody lost. If I won and they lost, then we both lost. If I won and they lost, we both lose. This is a game. We did hurt the game. We didn’t just hurt Boston. We hurt the game of hockey.”

Fair points.

Like him or loath him JJ had an excellent 5 year run as owner leading up to the lockout.

B/C of the petulance of the players (justified or not) there was never going to be a quicker compromise. No one had any intentions of signing a deal until the drop dead date was a week away. Because of this I have no more angst because of the lockout. Neither side was dumb enough to miss a season. The players should have taken this deal sooner but oh well. And they should have demanded Bettman get fired given the fact he's been in charge for 3 of these things. I have no clue how the NHLPA didn't get Bettmans resignation in the deal.

Casual fans only really start caring about hockey around now anyway.

Gee Wally 01-19-2013 08:11 PM

It's over.
Don't care.

NinthSpoke06 01-19-2013 08:18 PM

Jacobs is spot on. But few here will be able to get past the "Jacobs is a cheapskate" motto to realize this.

Mr. Make-Believe 01-19-2013 08:34 PM

Jacobs is angry about the lockout?

That makes two of us, f***face.

Dellstrom 01-19-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gee Wally (Post 57892153)
It's over.
Don't care.

Agreed. I could say a lot about him, but **** it. I had an awesome day today watching two awesome games, gonna watch a few more now.

Hockey is back and I'd prefer to look ahead rather than back at the past ****** 3 and a half months.

ksp1957 01-19-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe (Post 57896781)

Jacobs is angry about the lockout?

That makes two of us, f***face.

^THIS !!! :handclap::handclap:

GarbageGoal 01-19-2013 09:33 PM

What a ****ing hero.

BigBadBruin8 01-19-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe (Post 57891035)
Fair points.

Like him or loath him JJ had an excellent 5 year run as owner leading up to the lockout.

B/C of the petulance of the players (justified or not) there was never going to be a quicker compromise. No one had any intentions of signing a deal until the drop dead date was a week away. Because of this I have no more angst because of the lockout. Neither side was dumb enough to miss a season. The players should have taken this deal sooner but oh well. And they should have demanded Bettman get fired given the fact he's been in charge for 3 of these things. I have no clue how the NHLPA didn't get Bettmans resignation in the deal.

Casual fans only really start caring about hockey around now anyway.

The petulance of the players? Spare me. This lockout is on the owners. Jacobs should have been looking in the mirror with those horse**** comments he made today.

And the players should have taken it sooner? This deal, which came off an offer from the players' side IIRC, was very similar to a package that the players submitted to the owners weeks before that the owners threw a hissy fit over.

Thank God they came to an agreement, because I'm sick of talking about it, and I'm done talking about it.

Hockey's back. Finally.

ksp1957 01-19-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 (Post 57906585)
The petulance of the players? Spare me. This lockout is on the owners. Jacobs should have been looking in the mirror with those horse**** comments he made today.

And the players should have taken it sooner? This deal, which came off an offer from the players' side IIRC, was very similar to a package that the players submitted to the owners weeks before that the owners threw a hissy fit over.

Thank God they came to an agreement, because I'm sick of talking about it, and I'm done talking about it.

Hockey's back. Finally.

And the more Jeremy Jacobs can keep his big fat ******* mouth shut about the lockout, which he caused, the better I'll like it. Both Fehr and Bettman should either resign or be put in front of a firing squad.:rant:

First the dumbass remark about Neely and now this. I liked it better when the moron was an absentee owner.

stungun 01-19-2013 09:53 PM

His buddy Bettman should put a permanent gag order on this clown, just friggin go away and let Charlie count the peanuts and Cam do the press and publicity.

mikelvl 01-19-2013 10:08 PM

Jacobs just can't keep his big mouth shut. He showed it with the Neely comment and he is showing it now. Crawl back under the rock you came out from out in Buffalo. I don't want to hear from you again. Disgraceful.

DJENTLEMAN 01-19-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NathanSeguin (Post 57893767)
Jacobs is spot on. But few here will be able to get past the "Jacobs is a cheapskate" motto to realize this.

This.

When you take the rest of the league into context, with multiple franchises failing (they need to be moved - some of those markets are on the owners at the time for pushing for them), he's spot on. Some of the markets are still in financial hardship, which is pulling at what the profits should be in the stronger markets (how anyone could advocate for pulling money from strong markets and redistributing them into failing markets is beyond me) and that needed / still needs to be corrected for the future of the league.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 (Post 57906585)

Please correct me if I'm wrong - wasn't the deal that was ultimately signed essentially the same deal that was proposed to the players back in October when a full 82 games could've been played?

stungun 01-19-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattAndersonBTR (Post 57917071)
Please correct me if I'm wrong - wasn't the deal that was ultimately signed essentially the same deal that was proposed to the players back in October when a full 82 games could've been played?

they havent even dotted all the I's and crossed the T's on the new CBA, who really knows what it is going to look like. we do know the owners and PA were willing to compromise on early buyouts this past week. i highly doubt the owners would of locked out the players if this was the same "deal" they offered back in october, that makes zero sense. this new cba was bargained over 4 plus months not to end up being something that was already tabled. the problem was both sides refused to budge for too long and they could of done all this last summer. nobody's right in the end.

Kaoz 01-19-2013 11:25 PM

Jesus, the guy comes out and hands out vouchers personally for the game. Then comes out apologizing profusely for his part in the lockout and tries to explain the business aspect so people will actually understand it and gets nothing but vitriol?

If Jacobs was the greedy evil villain most thought he wouldn't have taken the time to do either. Neither action will put tons of butts in the seats now will payoff large for him in any measurable way.

Funniest part about this whole post lockout scenario is you keep hearing "what is the NHL going to do for us fans?" I see owners doing a ton with free concessions, free tickets, massive discounts on season tickets, and public apologies, I don't see players doing anything similar even though they are taking home 50% of revenues.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

DJENTLEMAN 01-19-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stungun (Post 57917623)
they havent even dotted all the I's and crossed the T's on the new CBA, who really knows what it is going to look like. we do know the owners and PA were willing to compromise on early buyouts this past week. i highly doubt the owners would of locked out the players if this was the same "deal" they offered back in october, that makes zero sense. this new cba was bargained over 4 plus months not to end up being something that was already tabled. the problem was both sides refused to budge for too long and they could of done all this last summer. nobody's right in the end.

That would make zero sense, that's why I'm asking.

It may not have been the same exact deal, but I was under the belief that most of the major items that we have been told were being fought over and eventually passed were the same as the October proposal to save 82 games.

Again, I find it to make zero sense and if this is the case, anyone advocating that the owners are to blame are out of their skulls insane.

XtremeofParanoia 01-19-2013 11:51 PM

He's sorry.

Jean_Jacket41 01-19-2013 11:59 PM

Jacobs is my favorite owner.

Eat that haters.

Fenway 01-20-2013 12:22 AM

Jacobs has always been an easy target but....

Until the lost season of 2004-5, Jacobs trusted the business to Harry Sinden. Harry had carte blanche and it was not until Charlie showed up that Jeremy took a harder look at Boston.

Charlie told his dad that we have to clean house and that is what happened.

My only beef with Jacobs is he helped allow the NHL to get too big.

Look none of us will ever understand why Bettman fought for Phoenix.

In 5 years or less the NHL will be in Quebec City, Seattle and a second team in Toronto. The unknown is relocation or expansion.

Jacobs at least has done something for Bruins fans - look at how little Chicago has done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaoz (Post 57917803)
Jesus, the guy comes out and hands out vouchers personally for the game. Then comes out apologizing profusely for his part in the lockout and tries to explain the business aspect so people will actually understand it and gets nothing but vitriol?

If Jacobs was the greedy evil villain most thought he wouldn't have taken the time to do either. Neither action will put tons of butts in the seats now will payoff large for him in any measurable way.

Funniest part about this whole post lockout scenario is you keep hearing "what is the NHL going to do for us fans?" I see owners doing a ton with free concessions, free tickets, massive discounts on season tickets, and public apologies, I don't see players doing anything similar even though they are taking home 50% of revenues.

topcat986* 01-20-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaoz (Post 57917803)

^ what he said and Teams in Winnipeg owe Jacobs a huge thank you along with Edmonto Calgary and Carolina etc. He has not held back to Chiarelli over the past years either. Some of you need to get over your preconseived thought on him. Hell he isnt Bob Kraft but at least he is putting a great product on the ice.

RussellmaniaKW 01-20-2013 03:33 AM

how anyone can read that and disagree with what he's saying is beyond me.

nmbr_24 01-20-2013 05:28 AM

I'm not going to read or listen to this kind of crap for another 8 years:handclap:

I don't care what he said, I'm not reading it, I don't care what any PA person has to say in response.

I'm going to watch hockey!!!:laugh:

JMiller 01-20-2013 06:24 AM

His comments are totally self serving - but that's hardly a surprise.