HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   How would you rank the Oilers dynasty players (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1328017)

saskriders 01-20-2013 02:53 AM

How would you rank the Oilers dynasty players

Combination of good, and biggest impact, the weighting, and definitions of "impact" and "good" are up to you, as long as it only counts time in Edmonton. So no Rangers Messier, or Kings Gretzky.

To draw a line somewhere let's say 3 cups in Edmonton grantees you a spot (they are all on my list, so no need for research), but if you have 2 cup wins and played a big enough roll you can be on the list too

As someone who wasn't alive at the time, and is just speculating, and will probably be way off. But I am interested in seeing you opinions

#1: Gretzky
#2: Messier
#3: Coffey
#4: Kurri
#5: Anderson
#6: Fuhr
#7: Lowe
#8: Tikkanen

this is where there is a big gap and it gets really tricky, especially for someone who wasn't around at the time. So these could be terrible, especially since I have never even heard of the last 6. Just sorted them based on how cool their name is :laugh:

#9: Moog
#10: Mactavish
#11: Huddy
#12: Smith
#13:Semenko
#14:McSorley
#15:Krushelnyski
#16: Beukuboom
#17: Pouzar
#18: Muni
#19: Hunter
#20: McClelland
#21: Gregg

seventieslord 01-20-2013 03:33 AM

McSorley wasn't any good as an Oiler. Gregg was pretty damn good, better than the 6 guys you have ahead of him there. I'll see what I can come up with.

saskriders 01-20-2013 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seventieslord (Post 57925021)
McSorley wasn't any good as an Oiler. Gregg was pretty damn good, better than the 6 guys you have ahead of him there. I'll see what I can come up with.

McSorely wasn't great, but didn't he play his role (enforcer/body guard) well?

seventieslord 01-20-2013 03:44 AM

3+ cups (no McSorley, Simpson, Ruotsalainen, Fogolin, Semenko, Beukeboom...)

based strictly on their performance with the Oilers dynasty (1985-1990)

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Mark Messier
3. Paul Coffey
4. Jari Kurri
5. Grant Fuhr
6. Glenn Anderson
7. Esa Tikkanen
8. Kevin Lowe
9. Andy Moog
10. Craig macTavish
11. Charlie Huddy
12. Steve Smith
13. Randy Gregg
14. Mike Krushelnyski
15. Craig Muni
16. Dave Hunter
17. Kevin McClelland
18. Jaroslav Pouzar
19. Kelly Buchberger

Ogopogo* 01-20-2013 04:19 AM

1. Gretzky
2. Coffey
3. Messier
4. Fuhr
5. Kurri
6. Anderson
7. Tikkanen
8. Lowe
9. Huddy
10. Mac Tavish
11. Simpson
12. Smith
13. Gregg
14. Krushelnyski

Moog doesn't really belong in the conversation. He watched from the bench the majority of the time the Oilers rolled through the playoffs.

saskriders 01-20-2013 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seventieslord (Post 57925159)
3+ cups (no McSorley, Simpson, Ruotsalainen, Fogolin, Semenko, Beukeboom...)

based strictly on their performance with the Oilers dynasty (1985-1990)

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Mark Messier
3. Paul Coffey
4. Jari Kurri
5. Grant Fuhr
6. Glenn Anderson
7. Esa Tikkanen
8. Kevin Lowe
9. Andy Moog
10. Craig macTavish
11. Charlie Huddy
12. Steve Smith
13. Randy Gregg
14. Mike Krushelnyski
15. Craig Muni
16. Dave Hunter
17. Kevin McClelland
18. Jaroslav Pouzar
19. Kelly Buchberger

He won three, but Buchburger only won 2

shazariahl 01-20-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogopogo (Post 57925469)
1. Gretzky
2. Coffey
3. Messier
4. Fuhr
5. Kurri
6. Anderson
7. Tikkanen
8. Lowe
9. Huddy
10. Mac Tavish
11. Simpson
12. Smith
13. Gregg
14. Krushelnyski

Moog doesn't really belong in the conversation. He watched from the bench the majority of the time the Oilers rolled through the playoffs.

I disagree about Moog - several seasons he and Fuhr rotated throughout and there were a couple playoff runs where Fuhr got injured/sick and Moog had to step in and play. The Oilers never missed a beat.

Honestly, the Oilers would have won at least 3 of the 4 and maybe even all 4 of those same cups with Moog. The only one that would have been close is that 7 game series with the Flyers, and even then I remember Fuhr letting in a couple weak goals that made the series closer than it otherwise would have been (combined with spectacular goaltending from Hextal, of course).

I say 4 cups instead of 5, since Randford played for the Oilers 5th.

Crosbyfan 01-20-2013 08:43 AM

#1: Semenko
#2: Gretzky
#3: Messier
#4: Coffey
#5: Kurri
#6: Anderson
#7: Fuhr
#8: Lowe
#9: Tikkanen
#10: Huddy

:sarcasm:

tony d 01-20-2013 08:56 AM

Top 5:

1) Gretzky
2) Coffey
3) Messier
4) Kurri
5) Anderson

Hawkey Town 18 01-20-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony d (Post 57928693)
Top 5:

1) Gretzky
2) Coffey
3) Messier
4) Kurri
5) Anderson

I think Fuhr has to be above Anderson.

Also, Messier should beat out Coffey because he was there longer (5 Cups vs. 3 Cups). I can see an argument for Coffey if we're just taking about the time he was there.

Big Phil 01-20-2013 11:33 AM

Gretzky - no argument there even with just the 4 Cups
Messier - a solid #2
Kurri - Am I the only guy so far giving Kurri the solid #3 spot here? No offense to my boy Coffey, but was Coffey more important in 3 Cups than Kurri in 5? Not to me. Kurri was a constant threat.
Coffey - Give him the #4 spot
Anderson - Great in all 5 Cups with Edmonton, sometimes Anderson tends to get underrated here on just how clutch the man was
Fuhr - even though Ranford was the starter for the 5th Cup you have to give Fuhr a clear #6 here.

After that it gets a little tricky. Lowe, Tikannen, Gregg and Huddy were important. Ranford only won two, but you have to wonder just how big his 1990 performance was in this context. Moog was there for three but was playing for the 1984 clincher and was sprinkled the odd time in the postseason.

Kyle McMahon 01-20-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Phil (Post 57934611)
Gretzky - no argument there even with just the 4 Cups
Messier - a solid #2
Kurri - Am I the only guy so far giving Kurri the solid #3 spot here? No offense to my boy Coffey, but was Coffey more important in 3 Cups than Kurri in 5? Not to me. Kurri was a constant threat.
Coffey - Give him the #4 spot
Anderson - Great in all 5 Cups with Edmonton, sometimes Anderson tends to get underrated here on just how clutch the man was
Fuhr - even though Ranford was the starter for the 5th Cup you have to give Fuhr a clear #6 here.

After that it gets a little tricky. Lowe, Tikannen, Gregg and Huddy were important. Ranford only won two, but you have to wonder just how big his 1990 performance was in this context. Moog was there for three but was playing for the 1984 clincher and was sprinkled the odd time in the postseason.

Agree on Kurri for the same reasons. Two extra Cup runs in which he was instrumental easily make up the gap between them in the first three, which was not very large to be honest. Kurri led the team in goals in all three of the Cups he won with Coffey, tying the record for most goals in one playoff year in 1985.

Big Phil 01-20-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon (Post 57935627)
Agree on Kurri for the same reasons. Two extra Cup runs in which he was instrumental easily make up the gap between them in the first three, which was not very large to be honest. Kurri led the team in goals in all three of the Cups he won with Coffey, tying the record for most goals in one playoff year in 1985.

Right. I mean in 1985 Gretzky is the number one guy for sure and while Coffey is still #2 probably, it doesn't mean Kurri's 19 goals were very far behind. Yeah, no doubt with the addition of 1988 and 1990 Kurri should unanimously be higher than Coffey on this particular list.

McGuillicuddy 01-21-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazariahl (Post 57928213)
I disagree about Moog - several seasons he and Fuhr rotated throughout and there were a couple playoff runs where Fuhr got injured/sick and Moog had to step in and play. The Oilers never missed a beat.

Honestly, the Oilers would have won at least 3 of the 4 and maybe even all 4 of those same cups with Moog. The only one that would have been close is that 7 game series with the Flyers, and even then I remember Fuhr letting in a couple weak goals that made the series closer than it otherwise would have been (combined with spectacular goaltending from Hextal, of course).

I say 4 cups instead of 5, since Randford played for the Oilers 5th.

Who knows...maybe Moog would have kept a closer eye on Steve Smith behind the net in 1986, then we're possibly talking 5 cups in 5 years.

vadim sharifijanov 01-21-2013 01:17 PM

huddy has to be #9 i'd think.

TheDevilMadeMe 01-21-2013 01:20 PM

What's the case for Tikkanen over Lowe? Lowe was the defensive backbone for basically the entire dynasty. And occasionally you'll hear the odd person talk about Lowe for the HHOF; I've never heard that about Tikkanen.

My top 8:

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Mark Messier
3. Jari Kurri (after reading Kyle's post)
4. Paul Coffey
5. Grant Fuhr
6. Glenn Anderson
7. Kevin Lowe
8. Esa Tikkanen

After that, it gets muddier

Kyle McMahon 01-21-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 58019379)
What's the case for Tikkanen over Lowe? Lowe was the defensive backbone for basically the entire dynasty. And occasionally you'll hear the odd person talk about Lowe for the HHOF; I've never heard that about Tikkanen.

My top 8:

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Mark Messier
3. Jari Kurri (after reading Kyle's post)
4. Paul Coffey
5. Grant Fuhr
6. Glenn Anderson
7. Kevin Lowe
8. Esa Tikkanen

After that, it gets muddier

Yeah I don't understand that one. Tikkanen was basically only a part of three Cups (he's credited with a 4th due to playing three games in the 1985 final, his only games of the season). After Coffey left, Lowe was the team's #1 defenseman and a team leader. I think Lowe is clearly ahead. Tikkanen vs Huddy is probably a better debate if we're looking solely at contributions in Cup-winning years.

pdd 01-21-2013 10:02 PM

Using the players in the OP...

1. Gretzky, F
2. Coffey, D
3. Kurri, F
4. Messier, F
5. Fuhr, G
6. Anderson, F
7. Lowe, D
8. Huddy, D
9. Tikkanen, F
10. Moog, G
11. Muni, D
12. MacTavish, C
13. Gregg, F
14. Smith, D
15. Beukeboom, D
16. Pouzar, F
17. Hunter, F
18. McLelland, F
19. Krushelnyski, F
20. Buchberger, F
21. McSorley, D/F

Merya 01-22-2013 07:43 AM

I think Reijo Ruotsalainen deserves a higher position. After all, they did change the whole NHL rules bcs of him. :P

How many years was it that Reijo Ruotsalainen was "protected" in transactions? IIRC It went on for a rodiculously long time. :P

ps. the :P smiley doesnt translate we÷÷ here in that tongueflailing....I've always used it as more of a quirky thing, not as tonguewaving...but whatever, you get the point, I'll try to find smth else...its not meant in anyways deragotary *sigh* need sleep

Merya 01-22-2013 07:48 AM

1. Gretzky, F
2. Kurri, F
3. Coffey, D
4. Fuhr, G
5. Tikkanen, F

Jack Donaghy 01-22-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merya (Post 58072017)
I think Reijo Ruotsalainen deserves a higher position. After all, they did change the whole NHL rules bcs of him. :P

How many years was it that Reijo Ruotsalainen was "protected" in transactions? IIRC It went on for a rodiculously long time. :P

ps. the :P smiley doesnt translate we÷÷ here in that tongueflailing....I've always used it as more of a quirky thing, not as tonguewaving...but whatever, you get the point, I'll try to find smth else...its not meant in anyways deragotary *sigh* need sleep

How so? I remember liking him when I was little because he was fast and had a cool name.

What rule changes did he cause, or are you joking?

Hardyvan123 01-22-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LancelotLink (Post 58073015)
How so? I remember liking him when I was little because he was fast and had a cool name.

What rule changes did he cause, or are you joking?

I can't remember the exact rule but the gist of it was to prevent teams from bring players over from Europe after their season had ended. Players had to be on rosters or under NHL team control by a certain date to be able to play.

Man what a player he would have been had he been only 3 or 4 inches taller.

Jack Donaghy 01-22-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 (Post 58074137)
I can't remember the exact rule but the gist of it was to prevent teams from bring players over from Europe after their season had ended. Players had to be on rosters or under NHL team control by a certain date to be able to play.

Man what a player he would have been had he been only 3 or 4 inches taller.

I see - thanks!

Big Phil 01-22-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merya (Post 58072123)
1. Gretzky, F
2. Kurri, F
3. Coffey, D
4. Fuhr, G
5. Tikkanen, F

Messier?

Merya 01-22-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Phil (Post 58100335)
Messier?

#6 perhaps. Aside from the 90-cup, I don't remember him much. But maybe my memory and general dislike for the player are doing tricks.