HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bruins Vs. Blues Depth (In-Depth Comparison) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1328103)

Trap Jesus 01-20-2013 09:58 AM

Bruins Vs. Blues Depth (In-Depth Comparison)

Two similar teams that are known for their depth. Just wanted to see how they stack up all throughout their line-up for this season only. Assuming I'm able to actually pull a poll off like this, select one team for each forward line, one team for each D-pairing, and one team for each goalie.

These rosters are supposed to be both teams at full-strength, with the only exceptions being players that are expected to miss the entire season. If I made any mistakes with the line-ups, let me know.

Boston Bruins Depth Chart

F1: Lucic-Krejci-Horton
F2: Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
F3: Bourque-Kelly-Peverley
F4: Paille-Campbell-Thornton

D1: Chara-Boychuk
D2: Seidenberg-Hamilton
D3: Ference-McQuaid

G1: Rask
G2: Khudobin

St. Louis Blues Depth Chart

F1: Perron-Backes-Oshie
F2: McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko
F3: Schwartz-Berglund-Stewart
F4: Sobotka-Nichol-Reaves

D1: Cole-Pietrangelo
D2: Jackman-Shattenkirk
D3: Russell-Polak

G1: Halak
G2: Elliot

Trap Jesus 01-20-2013 10:27 AM

My opinion:

The first line is close, but I give the edge to the Blues. Horton looks like the only one of the 6 that is a step below the rest with his injury concerns and having to get back to full-strength. Backes is the best out of the bunch as well.

Second line is decidedly the Bruins. Bergeron is a step above Steen as that two-way center, Seguin gives you more pedigree and potential for this year as an offensive force over Tarasenko, and, while McDonald may be better than Marchand for this season, Marchand brings a unique element to that line that can't be ignored.

Third line is close but the edge goes to the Blues. I like Schwartz' potential over Bourque this year, and that might be the deciding factor for the line as a whole. Kelly and Peverley are safer bets than Berglund or Stewart, but I think Berglund and Stewart bring more potential. With those two factors more or less evening out, I give the edge to St. Louis because of Schwartz' potential.

Bruins 4th line. To be honest, I'm not that familiar with Nichol or Reaves, but I find it tough to imagine a 4th line being better than the Bruins in the NHL. I know that Sobotka is a fantastic player from his time with the Bruins, but the Bruins 4th line just clicks so well that it's tough to go against them.

Bruins 1st D. Pietrangelo is absolutely amazing, and I personally consider him the next best d-man after Chara for this season. With the edge going to Chara, I also like Boychuk a lot mroe than Cole, who looks promising, but doesn't have the pedigree yet.

Blues 2nd d-pairing. I think Seidenberg is the best one there, but Jackman and Shattenkirk have to be considered way ahead of Hamilton for this season, and are both great defensemen in their own right.

Blues 3rd D-pairing. They may have one of the best 3rd pairings in the league, especially with a presence like Polak back there. Ference is a great guy to have on your bottom pairing and can fill in in a top-4 role, but McQuaid, while OK, is nothing special to have on your team in any capacity.

Rask over Halak. I think Rask has the potential to be one of the best goalies this year, and has already done that in a previous year. Halak is great as well, but I like Rask's potential for this season.

Elliot over Khudobin. No-brainer.

ExJbeck 01-20-2013 11:01 AM

Bruins F1
Bruins F2
Blues F3
Blues F4
Bruins D1 (only because of Cole)
Blues D2
Blues D3
Blues G 1&2.

This poll fails to mention depth beyond the starting lines, that in which the Blues win by a country mile.

Boston has better high end talent now but at the end of season i could see the Blues being the choice.

If i had to pick a team for this year (even though I truly believe the the Blues have an excellent shot at along playoff run) I would take the Bruins. But for the future im taking the Blues.

stlblues9 01-21-2013 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trap Jesus (Post 57931473)
My opinion:

The first line is close, but I give the edge to the Blues. Horton looks like the only one of the 6 that is a step below the rest with his injury concerns and having to get back to full-strength. Backes is the best out of the bunch as well.

Second line is decidedly the Bruins. Bergeron is a step above Steen as that two-way center, Seguin gives you more pedigree and potential for this year as an offensive force over Tarasenko, and, while McDonald may be better than Marchand for this season, Marchand brings a unique element to that line that can't be ignored.

Third line is close but the edge goes to the Blues. I like Schwartz' potential over Bourque this year, and that might be the deciding factor for the line as a whole. Kelly and Peverley are safer bets than Berglund or Stewart, but I think Berglund and Stewart bring more potential. With those two factors more or less evening out, I give the edge to St. Louis because of Schwartz' potential.

Bruins 4th line. To be honest, I'm not that familiar with Nichol or Reaves, but I find it tough to imagine a 4th line being better than the Bruins in the NHL. I know that Sobotka is a fantastic player from his time with the Bruins, but the Bruins 4th line just clicks so well that it's tough to go against them.

Bruins 1st D. Pietrangelo is absolutely amazing, and I personally consider him the next best d-man after Chara for this season. With the edge going to Chara, I also like Boychuk a lot mroe than Cole, who looks promising, but doesn't have the pedigree yet.

Blues 2nd d-pairing. I think Seidenberg is the best one there, but Jackman and Shattenkirk have to be considered way ahead of Hamilton for this season, and are both great defensemen in their own right.

Blues 3rd D-pairing. They may have one of the best 3rd pairings in the league, especially with a presence like Polak back there. Ference is a great guy to have on your bottom pairing and can fill in in a top-4 role, but McQuaid, while OK, is nothing special to have on your team in any capacity.

Rask over Halak. I think Rask has the potential to be one of the best goalies this year, and has already done that in a previous year. Halak is great as well, but I like Rask's potential for this season.

Elliot over Khudobin. No-brainer.

I agreed with pretty much everything you said except for Rask over Halak. I don't understand why he continually gets underrated around here. Halak WAS one of the best goalies last year and I don't think much is going to change this year. He already has 1 shutout (albeit very easy) but I don't think there is any way Rask is better than Halak right now or for the next few years. I find it funny that goalies that haven't really been starters (Rask for only 1 year) yet can be better than a goalie who posted a sub 2.00 GAA last year, won the Jennings trophy and helped his team finish with 109 points. A goalie that has a proven playoff record (2010 where he beat 2 of the best offensive teams in the past decade) and played extremely well in the Olympics.

Izzy 01-21-2013 07:42 AM

Blues F1
Bruins F2
Blues F3
Blues F4
Bruins D1 (only because of Cole)
Bruins D2
Blues D3
Blues G 1&2

eklunds source 01-21-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlblues9 (Post 57999687)
I agreed with pretty much everything you said except for Rask over Halak. I don't understand why he continually gets underrated around here. Halak WAS one of the best goalies last year and I don't think much is going to change this year. He already has 1 shutout (albeit very easy) but I don't think there is any way Rask is better than Halak right now or for the next few years. I find it funny that goalies that haven't really been starters (Rask for only 1 year) yet can be better than a goalie who posted a sub 2.00 GAA last year, won the Jennings trophy and helped his team finish with 109 points. A goalie that has a proven playoff record (2010 where he beat 2 of the best offensive teams in the past decade) and played extremely well in the Olympics.

How about "because Rask is better at stopping pucks"?

drmagg 01-21-2013 09:33 AM

St. Louis F1
Boston F2
St. Louis F3
St. Louis F4
Boston D1
Boston D2
St. Louis D3
St. Louis G1
Boston G2

That makes depth of Blues (5) > depth of Bruins (4)

BackesInBlue 01-21-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eklunds source (Post 58005419)

Not sure if serious.

Last year:

GAA 2.05/1.97 SV % .929/.926 SO 3/6

Which stats are 'better'?

Toydarian 01-21-2013 11:01 AM

I like this poll concept/idea.

tony d 01-21-2013 11:02 AM

Boston F 1, F 2, F 4, D 1, D 3
St.Louis F 3, D 2, G 1, G 2

fcpremix88 01-21-2013 01:09 PM

Blues F1
Bruins F2
Blues F3
Blues F4
Bruins D1
Blues D2
Blues D3
Blues G1
Blues G2

The fourth lines were the hardest to choose between.

Fire Julien 01-21-2013 01:22 PM

Boston everywhere except F3 and F4

Dolph Ziggler 01-21-2013 01:26 PM

Blues F1, F3, D2, D3, G1, G2

Bruins F2, D1

I don't know enough about Bruins' F4 to vote on it.

RapidFire 01-21-2013 01:31 PM

F1 STL
F2 BOS
F3 STL
F4 BOS

D1 BOS
D2 STL
D3 STL

G1 STL (close unless Halak kills it again)
G2 STL

skip2mybordeleau 01-21-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackesInBlue (Post 58010703)
Not sure if serious.

Last year:

GAA 2.05/1.97 SV % .929/.926 SO 3/6

Which stats are 'better'?

that must mean brian elliot is the best player in the world!!!!!

Wiems35* 01-21-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene (Post 58020985)
that must mean brian elliot is the best player in the world!!!!!

He was one of the best goalies last year, but you already knew that.

stlblues9 01-21-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Maybe, but thats just not true at all.

Buckets and Gloves 01-21-2013 04:28 PM

Boston
F- 1,2 and 4
D- 1
G-1

St. Louis
F- 3
D- 2, 3
G- 2

I am pretty much all with majority except I have Rask over Halak

Confound 01-21-2013 04:43 PM

Boston.

LetsGoBLUES91 01-21-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco (Post 58019543)
Boston everywhere except F3 and F4

Quote:

These are two of the dumbest things I have ever heard in my life.

Anyways, good poll. They are two very close teams. The only poll result I'm shocked by is Boston running away with F4. If anything it's very close but I'd give the Blues the edge.

The toughest call for me is D2. If Hamilton is as good as advertised thats definitely an edge to Boston.

Rp477 01-21-2013 06:12 PM

I have to give props to the OP. I don't remeber seeing this type of poll before, but well done.:handclap:

bluemandan 01-22-2013 12:19 AM

How is S. Thornton on faceoffs?

Regal 01-22-2013 01:26 AM

I know the Bergeron line is generally considered the second line on the Bruins, but it's also the best. That makes for a weird comparison here, because I would take the Backes line over the Krejci line, and the Bergeron line over the Steen line, but I would also take the Bergeron line over the Backes line and the Krejci line over the Steen line. So, simply changing the order or lines changes a 1-1 tie to a 2-0 Bruins lead.

I won't vote anyway, because there's too many players who I'm just not sure how they're going to do this season. How guys like Hamilton, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Stewart and Seguin do this year could change things quite a bit.

b in vancouver 01-22-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regal (Post 58068409)
I know the Bergeron line is generally considered the second line on the Bruins, but it's also the best. That makes for a weird comparison here, because I would take the Backes line over the Krejci line, and the Bergeron line over the Steen line, but I would also take the Bergeron line over the Backes line and the Krejci line over the Steen line. So, simply changing the order or lines changes a 1-1 tie to a 2-0 Bruins lead.

I won't vote anyway, because there's too many players who I'm just not sure how they're going to do this season. How guys like Hamilton, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Stewart and Seguin do this year could change things quite a bit.

I was just coming in to say this. If you switched the Bergeron and Krejci lines up then I'd give Boston the 1st and 2nd lines.

Kelly23 01-22-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemandan (Post 58067061)
How is S. Thornton on faceoffs?

Gregory Campbel he is for sure above average to good.