HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Center Ice & Gamecenter Live Q&A Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1328215)

McLeod73 01-20-2013 12:04 PM

Center Ice & Gamecenter Live Q&A Thread

Whats going on? thought it was a free preview. Yesterday afternoon only games on CI was sens/jets and kings/hawks (both of which were on regular TV) pens/flyers was blacked out. This afternoon sabres/flyers is blacked out. What a joke!!! glad I didnt waste $50 to not be able to watch any games lol

Soli 01-20-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLeod73 (Post 57936761)
Whats going on? thought it was a free preview. Yesterday afternoon only games on CI was sens/jets and kings/hawks (both of which were on regular TV) pens/flyers was blacked out. This afternoon sabres/flyers is blacked out. What a joke!!! glad I didnt waste $50 to not be able to watch any games lol

Flyers/Sabres is being shown nationally on NBC. Check your local listings. Center Ice doesn't show games that are being broadcasted nationally in your region.

Yesterday they made the monumental mistake of having both the Pens/Flyers and Kings/Hawks being simulcast as a national broadcast and having regions pick one or the other.

Rafters 01-20-2013 12:07 PM

Games get blacked out on NHLCI if it is nationally televised

jumptheshark 01-20-2013 12:15 PM

a lot of the on-line games that are available here in the UK which you have to pay for (in theory) the companies are trying to charge full year prices

s7ark 01-20-2013 12:34 PM

With the NHL's exclusivity deals, CI/Gamecenter just isn't worth the money.

chicago oiler 01-20-2013 01:32 PM

I have a semi-related question about game center:

Everything I've heard seems to be pretty negative: the feeds are low quality, there are too many blackouts, etc. But for $50, I'm still tempted.

All I really want is a legitimate, decent-quality way to watch oilers games from the states. (I don't think blackouts will be a problem here.)

Would people say it is worth the fifty bucks to gamble on higher quality streams? Or would I just be flushing that money down the drain?

Mcnotloilersfan 01-20-2013 01:38 PM

Is NHL Gamecenter live worth it?

Sucks being an Oilers fan in Ontario. I'm looking for something a little more reliable than random online streams for games that aren't shown on national tv.

Wondering if anyone has nhl gamecenter live, and if its worth the $?

RNH 93 rulz 01-20-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notloilersfan (Post 57944135)
Sucks being an Oilers fan in Ontario. I'm looking for something a little more reliable than random online streams for games that aren't shown on national tv.

simply put; yes.

Soli 01-20-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

I've been away from Edmonton for 5 years now and I've bought Center Ice every year. The portability of GCL is interesting, but with Center Ice and being outside the Oiler market, I know I'll get all the games.

And if I'm traveling I can usually find a stream.

Insta 01-20-2013 01:55 PM

I love GCL, you get all the games that aren't on TV.

McDNicks17 01-20-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

I don't know about Gamecenter Live, but Center Ice has been awesome for me over here in Ontario.

You get all the Oilers games(except if they play the Leafs and it's on LeafsTV) and 99% of the time it's in HD.

chicago oiler 01-20-2013 11:32 PM

Update: I buckled and got gamecenter. The quality of the feed was excellent and it didn't cut out once. And I was able to choose the oilers feed over the nucks one.

In conclusion: this was awesome. If the quality holds up throughout the season--knock on wood--it'll be well worth the $50.

bucks_oil 01-20-2013 11:57 PM

I've lived in ON with GCL. You'll get all the games until the playoffs. It's streaming quality is the best and it is most convenient for non-computer devices (ATV, Xbox, iPad, etc)

If your bigger concern is consistent access, even without blackouts, then hockeystreams is the way to go. Plus, you get to make mini statement about an important issue: if I'm willing to pay, why should I be forced to ALSO pay a cable co for a bunch of stuff I don't want?

Hockeystreams has about 80-90% quality of GCL, gives you more games and also has the commercials, which doesn't sound like a bonus until you've stared at a silent logo for 10 minutes of intermission.

Perfect_Drug 01-21-2013 12:09 AM

I like GCL.

Niet 01-21-2013 12:18 AM

I got Gamecenter over the weekend and I don't regret it. Don't get to watch Oilers games, but good quality streams for teams I typically never get to watch.

Jek McPorkins 01-21-2013 12:45 AM

I bought gamecenter for the first time this year. Not Centre Ice, just the $50 GC. A few notes:

- Opening Day was really hit and miss. Today everything was smooth as silk.
- Only tried it on Android and iPad, both work quite well. It's a little slow to switch between games. Best to just roll with one game at a time.
- Requires a fresh login every time you start watching. Can't share a membership between two people, or watch two games at once on different devices.
- If you use a location spoofer app on Android, you can watch blacked out games.
- The in-game stats in the app are awesome.
- If you have good wifi, switch the bitrate from auto to maximum. Huge difference in quality. Almost cable quality.
- I'll be buying this every year, and might just drop my cable provider next year. Subscription services are the way to go.

smokersarejokers 01-21-2013 12:50 AM

Big fan of gamecenter.

Never had an issue. I love it. Not only do I get all of the Oilers games, but I watched Pens and Flyers yesterday instead of Jets Sens.

Oil Change 01-21-2013 09:56 AM

Tried going on GameCentre on my PS3 last night to watch the game and apparently the GameCentre app for this season hasn't been released yet - last year's app won't work for this season's games. What the hell? The season has started, people are paying for this service and it's not ready on some devices. I had to watch the game on my laptop.

blueracer17 01-21-2013 10:02 AM

I purchased gamecenter live 20 minutes before the Oiler game last night and couldn't be happier. I live in Wisconsin, so the only blacked out Oil games will be against Minnesota if Foxsports has the game. The picture was very good and I didn't have any glitches or issues with the feed. Being able to see the puck is worth the $50, versus streaming the games for free. Near-HD quality through the HDMI cable on my computer to the plasma is wonderful. I hated to give the NHL any of my money, but since I can't go to games at Rexall, this will have to do.

nullterm 01-21-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark (Post 57939105)
With the NHL's exclusivity deals, CI/Gamecenter just isn't worth the money.

It is if you live out of market (ie. BC).

bzur 01-21-2013 01:25 PM

I've been very happy with GCL so far. I run it from my Apple TV and quality has been amazing. Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but I run from a DNS in the states for Netflix. I still had HNIC games blacked out, but I don't have cable so it's perfect for me. I tried it in my phone too, and wow was I impressed with the quality.
I love the ability to choose between feeds as well.

jsho 01-21-2013 01:32 PM

I checked out the free Center Ice on Saturday night and was pretty unimpressed.

Half of the games aren't in HD. And the games I would have been interested in watching (NYR vs BOS, TB vs WAS) were just shown in SD. And the SD feed look terrible, I've had streams from the internet that look way better.

However I live in Calgary and will get all the Oilers games through my cable package so I don't have much of a need for Center Ice. For out of province its probably worth it this year for only $50. But next year I don't think its worth the price at all.

dsi 01-21-2013 01:40 PM

I used Gamecenter Live last night by connecting my laptop through HDMI to the tv. The problem was I was getting a lot of dropped frames. My Internet connection is cable and very fast, there were no connection troubles, so I was thinking it was probably the CPU on my laptop not being able to catch up (3rd generation Intel i5 with HD 4000 graphics) or the amount of RAM (6GB)? Anyone with same issue?

Niet 01-21-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsi (Post 58020849)
I used Gamecenter Live last night by connecting my laptop through HDMI to the tv. The problem was I was getting a lot of dropped frames. My Internet connection is cable and very fast, there were no connection troubles, so I was thinking it was probably the CPU on my laptop not being able to catch up (3rd generation Intel i5) or the amount of RAM (6GB)? Anyone with same issue?

It is likely your internet. Your computer specs are way beyond what you would need.

GreatMcKeith 01-21-2013 01:48 PM

Anyone have any idea when it will be available for the PS3? I plan on buying GCL and watching on my computer/phone but I would like to be able to watch it on TV...