HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Who will win the NW division? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1328897)

Steve Bennett* 01-21-2013 01:40 AM

Who will win the NW division?
 
Vancouver or one of the other teams...? (em cal col minnesota)

Billy Mays Here 01-21-2013 01:42 AM

Obvious homer thread is obvious.

Steve Bennett* 01-21-2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan (Post 57999369)
Obvious homer thread is obvious.

I dunno the Canucks lost their first two games...:(

Socratic Method Man 01-21-2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan (Post 57999369)
Obvious homer thread is obvious.

At this rate Vancouver isn't winning anything except the draft lottery. Minnesota is looking strong, and Colorado will be really good as well.

Billy Mays Here 01-21-2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Bennett (Post 57999407)
I dunno the Canucks lost their first two games...:(

I'm talking about how you put the Vancouver Canucks in all capital letters in the OP and how of the five options in the poll, only Vancouver is listed in its entirety.

CoachBadkitten 01-21-2013 02:06 AM

In all honesty it's a toss-up, especially in a 48 game season.

NugentHopkinsfan 01-21-2013 02:10 AM

The Wild.

Steve Bennett* 01-21-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan (Post 57999731)
I'm talking about how you put the Vancouver Canucks in all capital letters in the OP and how of the five options in the poll, only Vancouver is listed in its entirety.

O I didn't even notice, now I know for next time. Thanks friend... :sarcasm:

Lord Flacko* 01-21-2013 02:44 AM

LMFAO @ the poll results :biglaugh:

Billy Mays Here 01-21-2013 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroon 6 (Post 58000075)
Go through his post history and you'll know...

Hmmm. . . . I see.

Well to at least answer the thread seriously, I really don't know at this point. I'm gonna rule Calgary and Colorado out for now, although I was impressed with Colorado's ability to create scoring chances during the season opener here in St. Paul. If the Wild can stay healthy, I can see them making a run at it. Vancouver's injuries are going to hurt them big time the first month, and I'm not sure if they'll be able to recover or not. In all honesty I actually think Edmonton has a fairly good chance at winning the division too. A lot of them played together down in OKC and if their goaltending can stay strong and they don't run into many injury problems in their top 6, they can definitely make a run at it.

TAnnala 01-21-2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Bennett (Post 57999323)
VANCOUVER CANUCKS or one of the other teams...?

Just a heads up. If you make polls that are obviously in favor of one team, especially you'r own favorite team people are going to vote against you, not the option they actually think is the right answer.

That is seriously annoying when people don't even try to cover up their bias when making a thread.

McTankel 01-21-2013 03:14 AM

I think the Wild win it. Nice mixture of youth, experience, and good goltending.

Steve Bennett* 01-21-2013 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAnnala (Post 58000797)
Just a heads up. If you make polls that are obviously in favor of one team, especially you'r own favorite team people are going to vote against you, not the option they actually think is the right answer.

That is seriously annoying when people don't even try to cover up their bias when making a thread.

Someone else already informed me of this error I made, thank-you as well.

I now realize that by writing out the full name of my favorite hockey squadron that I was unknowingly hypnotizing non-Canuck fans into selecting the Canucks, therefore giving them an unfair advantage in the real hockey standings. For that I apologize.

Steve Bennett* 01-21-2013 03:33 AM

Hey guys lets stick to the issue of the thread. Thanks.

I believe the Canucks have a great shot at repeating the division title again! Good luck to the opposing squadrons in their quest for second place in the division! :)

Krishna 01-21-2013 07:20 AM

Canucks

BonMorrison 01-21-2013 09:14 AM

Lost it at "The Vancouver Canucks." :laugh:

That being said, I did vote for them. They're off to a slow start but they'll pick up.

eklunds source 01-21-2013 09:38 AM

Last year they won the division by.. 21 points?

The teams that improved (Edmonton & Minnesota) were 37 and 30 points back.

Edmonton and Minnesota did not improve by 30 points. Canucks.

416Leafer 01-21-2013 09:49 AM

I'll say Vancouver... but this division has a strong future. Give it 1-2 years. Colorado, Minnesota, and Edmonton all have some very good young pieces.

Also there are obviously cracks in Vancouvers depth. Keslers injured. Even with him in the lineup the 2nd line looks less than spectacular. So while I think Vancouver should win, there are question marks and also potential on the other teams, so I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Minnesota take the division.

eklunds source 01-21-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 416Leafer (Post 58007545)
I'll say Vancouver... but this division has a strong future. Give it 1-2 years. Colorado, Minnesota, and Edmonton all have some very good young pieces.

Also there are obviously cracks in Vancouvers depth. Keslers injured. Even with him in the lineup the 2nd line looks less than spectacular. So while I think Vancouver should win, there are question marks and also potential on the other teams, so I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Minnesota take the division.

Minnesota was 30th in scoring. From December 8th until the end of the year, they won 17 of 54 games and were the worst team in the NHL by a long shot. They finished over 80 goals behind Vancouver in even strength goal differential.

Adding Parise/Suter/a rookie does not take a team from cellar to challenging the repeat president trophy winners. The Penguins added Lemieux/Crosby after the last lockout and still finished last.

zytz 01-21-2013 10:11 AM

While I'd love to be wrong, I think VAN turns it around after a slow start, as ever

CoachBadkitten 01-21-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eklunds source (Post 58007179)
Last year they won the division by.. 21 points?

The teams that improved (Edmonton & Minnesota) were 37 and 30 points back.

Edmonton and Minnesota did not improve by 30 points. Canucks.

If only there was a team in that division who came closer to Van. Than Minny and EDM. And added a 67 pt. player.

Pi 01-21-2013 10:14 AM

I am going to pick Minny because the Canucks are slow starters and it could kill them to start slowly in a 48 game season.

We'll know better in about 10 games.

Vankiller Whale 01-21-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eklunds source (Post 58007179)
Last year they won the division by.. 21 points?

The teams that improved (Edmonton & Minnesota) were 37 and 30 points back.

Edmonton and Minnesota did not improve by 30 points. Canucks.

We don't have Kesler/Booth for a good chunk if the season as well. And if we continue our slow start, we'll be hard pressed to win the division.

Still, I voted for us because we have a better chance than any one other team, but if it's Vancouver vs anyone else winning it, I'd be hesitant to vote.

416Leafer 01-21-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eklunds source (Post 58008053)
Minnesota was 30th in scoring. From December 8th until the end of the year, they won 17 of 54 games and were the worst team in the NHL by a long shot. They finished over 80 goals behind Vancouver in even strength goal differential.

Adding Parise/Suter/a rookie does not take a team from cellar to challenging the repeat president trophy winners. The Penguins added Lemieux/Crosby after the last lockout and still finished last.

A few biases in the way you wrote this

1 - You're only talking about Minnesotas second half of the season. The first half they were one of the best teams. You can't just isolate the parts that support your argument. The biggest sample size we have from last year is 82 games, and over 82 games Minnesota got 81 points and finished 12th.

2 - Penguins added Lemieux. That's your argument? Lemieux put up 22 points that year... Adding Crosby to a dead last team isn't the same as adding Suter/Parise/Granlund to a 12th place team

3 - Vancouver was 18-5-1 against the NW last season...the division they had their best record in, which also happens to be the division they had the most games in. Yes, they were (and are) a good team, but the Presidents trophy was essentially the byproduct of eating up a terrible division. NYR for example had to play against Pittsburgh, NJ, and Philly in their division, all playoff teams. Put NYR in the SE division last year, and how many points do they get?

4- Not to mention Kesler/Booth are out.

And like I said. I think Vancouver should win the division, I just wouldn't be surprised to see Minnesota take it.

No Fun Shogun 01-21-2013 10:40 AM

Nucks, ainec. Heck, they might even win the Presidents' Trophy again due to how weak their division is overall compared to others, even with Edmonton and Minnesota improving (of whom I see only the Wild barely making the playoffs).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.