HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Player you expected more of via trade/FA last 10 years (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1329361)

scorpiorising 01-21-2013 04:43 PM

Player you expected more of via trade/FA last 10 years

In the last 10 years which player, through free agency or a trade, did you expect a lot of when he first arrived only to turn out to be a fourth liner or bench warmer.

State who, what you were expecting and what actually showed up.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows 01-21-2013 04:49 PM

Steve Montador

Fire Julien 01-21-2013 04:55 PM

Chris Bourque

RustyBruins72 01-21-2013 04:56 PM

alexei Zhamnov

scorpiorising 01-21-2013 04:59 PM

hmmm montador and bourque huh. i had Kaberle. i expected a top 2 dman

BruinsBtn 01-21-2013 05:07 PM

hmmmmm

Brad Stuart
Bryan Bochenski
Lapoint
Morris
Schaefer

But obviously Zhamnov is the grand daddy of them all.

bruinsfan46 01-21-2013 05:10 PM

Zhamnov is obviously number one. Kaberle is another one, I was always a believer that he was pretty good player on a bad team. Thought he would be a lot more than a serviceable bottom pair guy for Boston. Martin Lapointe too, but even to a very young me that felt like an obvious overpayment at the time.

MOOKER411 01-21-2013 05:12 PM

For me the biggest dissapointment signing was Martin Lapointe. Mike Oconnell lets 40 gaol man Bill Guerin walk via free agency to Dallas because I think Guerin was asking $ 6.5 million per year but then signs Lapointe for $5 million per year and I don't think Lapointe hit double digits for goals. Just awefull :(

The worst trade for me other than the obvious Joe Thornton fire sale would have to be getting Kevin Stevens and Shawn Mceachern for Brian Smolinski and Glen Murray. Now don't get me wrong. I would have pulled the trigger all day long on that trade but due to my shear expectations of a line. A line that bosted Cam Neely on the RW and Kevin Stevens on the LW. I honestly believed that no matter who the center was we would have had two 50 goal scorers that year. My eyes still well up thinking about it.

The Dangley One 01-21-2013 05:13 PM

I'm throwing Hamill in anyways

Fopppa 01-21-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballershotcaller12 (Post 58031415)
I'm throwing Hamill in anyways

Despite him neither being acquired through a trade or via free agency? Ballsy.

Zhamnov all the way.

Gator Mike 01-21-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsBtn (Post 58031095)
Bryan Bochenski

Brandon Bochenski, I think.

Never understood how a kid who could skate and shoot like he could never found a regular spot in the NHL.

MOOKER411 01-21-2013 05:27 PM

Sorry all. I didn't let the first line of the last 10 years register. Duh ha today.

Last 10 years...

Ok. Worst signing obviously was Zhamnov. O'connell sold the farm and it was either Zhamnov or dip into Pakistans senior league because nobody else was available AND was it for $5 or $6 million per. Geesh.

Worst trade I will go with Kaberle. I don't think he was as bad as he was pegged as he did have good puck control and passed well which is an intangible players don't get much credit for but he was brought in to fix a PP and that didn't happen. Just lucky the Bruins were so good in every other area of the game. Also gave up too much.

spokedB 01-21-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOOKER411 (Post 58031369)
For me the biggest dissapointment signing was Martin Lapointe. Mike Oconnell lets 40 gaol man Bill Guerin walk via free agency to Dallas because I think Guerin was asking $ 6.5 million per year but then signs Lapointe for $5 million per year and I don't think Lapointe hit double digits for goals. Just awefull :(

I think LaPointe was done on orders from JJ to annoy pizza guy, the owner of the Red Wings. On the plus side, Martin did mentor Patrice who is - with Chara - the nearest thing the Bruins have to a fully matured franchise player.

The biggest bust for me has to be Kaberle. Dougie Hamilton, in his second game this afternoon, looked better than Kaberle.

The Special K 01-21-2013 05:43 PM

Zhamnov....guy was a great player....just had nothing in the tank at that point.....plus he got injured.
Lapointe is one that always vexed me....in what universe was he ever worth 5mill?

Neely08 01-21-2013 05:55 PM

- Lapointe
- Kaberle
- Brad Stuart
- Wideman
- Bochenski

Flame all you want, but Horton. There were some frightening stretches where he was invisible. Times I expected more from him in certain situations. Other times when he clearly showed what he was capable of, then would disappear, or be inconsistent. Came through huge when the chips were down, so it's forgotten, and rightly so.

Very curious to see how this season goes for him all things considered.

BubbaBoot 01-21-2013 06:08 PM

Marty Lapointe - although he IS credited in mentoring Bergeron.
Tomas Kaberle - never looked comfortable here.
Sandy McCarthy - no explanation necessary.
Michael Nylander - thought he'd be a good 2nd or 3rd liner.....was a complete bust, then after the lockout had 2 consecutive 20+ goal seasons with the Rangers.

Rumpy 01-21-2013 06:12 PM

Petr Shaefer no idea why I thought he was gunna be a legit top 6 guy when we got him from Ottawa. Turns out I was wrong and he was aweful!

deliciouspie 01-21-2013 06:18 PM

how people are forgetting bryan leetch is beyond me

bruins repeat time 01-21-2013 06:26 PM

Horton lollllllllllllll definitley doesnt belong on the list . Schaefer has to be the biggest head scratcher . Most others it was either over payment or something but Peter was an amazing schock. And for the guy that put wideman on the list oh just checked same as horton I just dont get you. Wideman had great years and did a lot for this team.

bruins repeat time 01-21-2013 06:28 PM

neely08 as far as this year goes you have to give Horton some time . Hes definitley going to have some rust to start with.

Broonzfanz 01-21-2013 06:29 PM

Petr Tenkrat

Manny Fernandez

bruins repeat time 01-21-2013 06:31 PM

Yep forgot about Fernandez thats a good one.

bruins repeat time 01-21-2013 06:35 PM

Montador was brought in as a 7th defenseman and did a good job so I dont get that one.

Justin St Pierre 01-21-2013 06:38 PM

I expected Martin St. Pierre to make the team and be well over a point-per-game with Boston.

Alex Auld wasn't bad or anything, but I expected him to win the Vezina and lead the Bruins to a Stanley Cup.

Bruinsforlife89 01-21-2013 08:35 PM

Kaberle.