HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   GBU Dodging a Bullet in Hogtown (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1329601)

Chainshot 01-21-2013 09:03 PM

Dodging a Bullet in Hogtown

The Good -

- Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville continue to click. Nice to see a number 1 line playing like it.
- Ott and Kaleta and Foligno setting tone early, carrying it on and basically being hard to play against.
- Sulzer.
- FES starting to knock the rust off.
- Penalty killing was huge.
- Miller was dialed in, especially on the extended 5-on-3.
- Grigs getting some d-zone work and doing it well.

The Bad -

- Scott losing his tilt with Orr.
- Penalty parade in the second. :facepalm:
- MacArthur had a rough night - blown chance, turnovers, and a lazy penalty.
- What was the late call on Kaleta for? Hecht, I could understand, but Kaleta?
- Poms missing the open net. Some things never change for the Sabres. Dave Snuggerud's ghost or something.

The Ugly -

- Ice quality.
- Getting owned at the dot. Please address.
- ACC camera feeds. Can we get some replays? The ones without someones head in the way?

drinking bleach irl 01-21-2013 09:03 PM

G: A win is a win is a win is a win

Stockey 01-21-2013 09:04 PM

2 Points

Tunnel of Death 01-21-2013 09:05 PM

Good: Keeping it rolling with another W. A hot start will serve us well in the short season.

Bad: Faceoffs. Bozak was single-handedly slaughtering us at the dot in the last 3 minutes of the game. Yikes.

Taro Tsujimoto 01-21-2013 09:06 PM

G:

Miller
VHP
FES

B:

The constant penalties

U:

The call on Kaleta that led to the Leafs' goal. WTF did he even do?

SwordsgoneWild 01-21-2013 09:06 PM

G- 2 points
VHP
Sekera
Miller

B-
This teams play with a lead in the third
Myers
Not being able to win a draw
Bozak manhandling us in that area.

U-cant think of one.

Silence Of The Plams 01-21-2013 09:06 PM

Kadri was so lucky it bounced on Miller. Anyway, Got some terrible calls at the end but we won. :handclap:

Good job boys. Spectacular work Miller.

JOHNBOY 01-21-2013 09:06 PM

Erhoff-Sulzer sound yet again...

Stop Winnin 01-21-2013 09:07 PM

G: Win, Miller was a beast, Hodgson once again dangerous everywhere and played smart in the defensive zone, love this kid.

B: Faceoffs and Myers, god was he brutal, I'm seriously beginning to worry about the guy.

Buddio 01-21-2013 09:07 PM

GG guys, I hate Miller, and I hate Kaleta :rant:

Pominville is a stud tho! :D

Rhett4 01-21-2013 09:07 PM

Good:

-VHP line continues to click and create chances.
-Kaleta and Ott.
-Sulzer. He was the steadiest guy on the backend tonight.
-Miller made some timely saves.
-Foligno...if only for his random fight.
-The PK, particularly in the first period.

Bad:

-FES line didn't generate much in the first two periods.
-11 shots through the first two periods? Not good.
-Scott looking out of shape. He was gassed after about five seconds in his fight and let Orr look really good.

Ugly:

-The percentage at the faceoff dot. Losing every single draw in the last two minutes of play...not good. Not good at all.

slip 01-21-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tunnel of Death (Post 58055453)
Good: Keeping it rolling with another W. A hot start will serve us well in the short season.

Bad: Faceoffs. Bozak was single-handedly slaughtering us at the dot in the last 3 minutes of the game. Yikes.

More like the whole game: 22-4 on draws. Ridiculous.

McTank 01-21-2013 09:07 PM

The good:
Miller
Miller
Miller
V-H-P
Ennis was dangerous all night
The D was solid all nighr

Bad:
Kulemin and macarthur
Penalties

Ugly:
Kaleta penalty stealing millers shutout
Pominville miss

Rob Paxon 01-21-2013 09:09 PM

Good:
- Miller
- Grigorenko has done well defensively for an 18 year old center, or really for any rookie
- Top line generated a lot
- Ott continuing to be awesome
- Not taking any guff around the net

Bad:
- Other lines didn't generate much offensively
- PP still very sloppy and the 2nd unit has no effectiveness on top of that
- Blowing an opportunity to shut out the Leafs

Ugly:
- NHL lockout seems to still be in effect for Kaleta. Not allowed out on the ice.
- Pommers robbing Vanek of a crucial assist. Now he'll finish one point shy of the Art Ross. :shakehead
- Leafs PP

chadthestampede 01-21-2013 09:09 PM

G: 2 pts

B: Missed empty netter, Ryan Miller shutout

U: Those Buffalo News commercials. They look like they're from 1999. Seriously awful.

CrankyJay 01-21-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 58055205)
- Grigs getting some d-zone work and doing it well.

He did have that one play where he passed it back and lost control of it before skating it out past the blue line. Just a rookie mistake.

drinking bleach irl 01-21-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadthestampede (Post 58056013)

U: Those Buffalo News commercials. They look like they're from 1999. Seriously awful.

print media in a nutshell

New Sabres Captain 01-21-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrankyJay (Post 58056023)
He did have that one play where he passed it back and lost control of it before skating it out past the blue line. Just a rookie mistake.

Yeah, those are gonna happen. But really, that's the only time he made a mistake.

I think as he gets more comfortable with the speed of the NHL and his defensive positioning etc. we're gonna see more offense out of him.

kirby11 01-21-2013 09:12 PM

G
The win. I feel like last year, we would have let this thing get to OT and probably lose.
Miller playing like a boss.
The PK units
HPV's chemistry is a beautiful thing
FES starting to pick it up as the game carried on
Hoff/Sulzer
Ott/Scott/Foligno/Kaleta setting the tone.
Really like the attitude the team's had so far, getting in people's faces when they bump miller

B
Is it just me, or have myers and ennis really struggled with puck control for most of these 2 games?
Ice quality
FES as the 2nd PP unit. Put grigs in for foligno. I think it would help his confidence if he could create some offense. But so far I've liked what I've seen from him, very few d zone issues aside from the one brain fart in the 2nd today
MacArthur was awful
Didn't really notice Kessel much and he failed to bury that chance at the very end

U
Faceoff issues
Laffs PP

spacemunky 01-21-2013 09:15 PM

The good:

I can go to work tomorrow knowing we won.

The bad:

Kadri scored. I keep telling my Leafs loving co-worker hes crap but it doesn't sink in. Kadri did nothing all game. Hardly saw him and he had no shots and then gets that *** gift.

machpo 01-21-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirby11 (Post 58056419)
G
HPV's chemistry is a beautiful thing

:laugh: HPV has my vote as their official line designation.

SublimeNightmare 01-21-2013 09:15 PM

Everyone pretty much nailed it already. Miller, VHP, Solid D, PK were all great. 26 hits in the game and 3 fights!

Leafs missed the net so a lot. Miller was dialed in, but all things considered like the GBU title, we dodged a bullet. Short season, 2-0 :yo:

CrankyJay 01-21-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs (Post 58056315)
Yeah, those are gonna happen. But really, that's the only time he made a mistake.

I think as he gets more comfortable with the speed of the NHL and his defensive positioning etc. we're gonna see more offense out of him.

Definitely, not faulting him really, just part of learning. I'm glad he's getting this experience and hopefully building his confidence.

Moskau 01-21-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs (Post 58056315)

Having 6'2" 210 lbs guys barreling down on you in the offensive zone will adjust you to the speed of the game pretty quick. He hasn't been able to generate much but he hasn't looked in over his head.

I think outside of Miller that Kaleta was the team's most valuable player. The guy skated all the way from center ice to the far defensive zone to break up a play half a dozen times tonight. He was great.

Stop Winnin 01-21-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemunky (Post 58056657)
The good:

I can go to work tomorrow knowing we won.

The bad:

Kadri scored. I keep telling my Leafs loving co-worker hes crap but it doesn't sink in. Kadri did nothing all game. Hardly saw him and he had no shots and then gets that *** gift.

I thought Kadri was okay, he's definitely more physical than I thought he was, he's a chippy little *******.