HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is everybody breaking their ankles... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1329869)

Monctonscout 01-22-2013 08:21 AM

Is everybody breaking their ankles...

jumping off the bandwagon already?

I find it a pretty sad endictment on the fanbase that they are all ready to jump off the bandwagon after what basically is the first of 5 EXHIBITION games for a new team and new coaching staff...and everybody wants to trade the whole team and try and pick 1st overall.

Tuggy 01-22-2013 08:23 AM

You seem to be the blindest optimist on this board but even you can't think this is a great team. Cheering and hoping for the best is one thing (which is what I am doing) but turning a blind eye to the glaring problems this team has is another.

Just because I don't think the team is good doesn't mean I don't care.

Monctonscout 01-22-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy (Post 58073077)
You seem to be the blindest optimist on this board but even you can't think this is a great team. Cheering and hoping for the best is one thing (which is what I am doing) but turning a blind eye to the glaring problems this team has is another.

Yes I am an optimist. But even a pessimist should wait a couple weeks to see what we have before "jumping off the bandwagon".

Even a pessimist should be able to see that we are getting back some good players from injury...Markov Gionta Moen

Even a pessimist should be able to see that we have a lot of good NHL players that had crappy years last year...Kaberle Bourque

Even a pessimist should see that we have young guys that COULd take the "next step" this year in Price, Subban(if/when he signs), Diaz, Eller, Emelin

Blind Gardien 01-22-2013 08:29 AM

I was disappointed with the Therrien hire. Didn't see a lot of clear indication the team should be better (aside from the usual guys being healthy now and it somehow being taken for granted that we couldn't possibly have as much go wrong as last year). Liked the Prust signing, but what else was there?

I thought and still think the playoffs are an outside possibility. One lousy first game against a weak opponent hasn't changed anything at all. Lack of our #1 defenseman in the lineup doesn't seem likely to repair the "couldn't possibly have as much go wrong as last year" wish, though. :dunno: Did anybody actually think the Habs would win a lot this year or something? I failed to notice that optimism.

Didn't see a poll category that fits my perspective.

Tuggy 01-22-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 58073175)
Yes I am an optimist. But even a pessimist should wait a couple weeks to see what we have before "jumping off the bandwagon".

Even a pessimist should be able to see that we are getting back some good players from injury...Markov Gionta Moen

Even a pessimist should be able to see that we have a lot of good NHL players that had crappy years last year...Kaberle Bourque

Even a pessimist should see that we have young guys that COULd take the "next step" this year in Price, Subban(if/when he signs), Diaz, Eller, Emelin

I'm not an optimist or a pessimist. I would classify myself as hopeful.

Listen, I want the Habs to win just as much as the next fan and never in a million years would I endorse "tanking". But let's be real here...you can't look at this roster and say that looks like a great team. A lot would have to go right for this team to make the playoffs and maybe it does happens, but I wouldn't put $$$ down on it.

gusfring 01-22-2013 08:35 AM

Jumping off would assume being on in the first place. I'm not an optimist or a pessimist.

It is my opinion, based on the my experience, that this is just not a very good team.

charlie 01-22-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 58073243)
I was disappointed with the Therrien hire. Didn't see a lot of clear indication the team should be better (aside from the usual guys being healthy now and it somehow being taken for granted that we couldn't possibly have as much go wrong as last year). Liked the Prust signing, but what else was there?

I thought and still think the playoffs are an outside possibility. One lousy first game against a weak opponent hasn't changed anything at all. Lack of our #1 defenseman in the lineup doesn't seem likely to repair the "couldn't possibly have as much go wrong as last year" wish, though. :dunno: Did anybody actually think the Habs would win a lot this year or something? I failed to notice that optimism.

I for one dont care about this season and would rather a crappy year like last. If we had finished top 10 in the league last year we wouldnt be worried about this season.
We do have to realize we finished where we finished for a reason.

gusfring 01-22-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 58073175)

Every team can say the same things about guys on their roster.

izzy75 01-22-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 58073011)
I find it a pretty sad...

What you call sad, some call realistic. If realism is sad, so be it.

Uber Coca 01-22-2013 08:43 AM

If you're ready to get off the bandwagon after one loss, I sure hope you break both ankles.

Ghetto Sangria 01-22-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by izzy75 (Post 58073485)
What you call sad, some call realistic. If realism is sad, so be it.

Being realistic is subjective. Who are you to say his realism is wrong right now?

Personally i think this team will finish 13-15th. Too many teams improved. However, i commend the OP for keeping the faith. Who knows, he could be right

Agnostic 01-22-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

I find it a pretty sad endictment on the fanbase that they are all ready to jump off the bandwagon after what basically is the first of 5 EXHIBITION games for a new team and new coaching staff...and everybody wants to trade the whole team and try and pick 1st overall.

What is more worrisome is continual denial in the face of evidence. Or several years of fans trying to convince other fans, for some unexplained reason, that this team is better than it is.

Your poll should have read:

When the Habs don't make the playoffs what reason will be most cited by the fans:

1) The coach is no good.
2) Injuries killed us
3) 48 games is a small number (the sample size argument)

That will be the sad poll.

Miller Time 01-22-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 58073243)

what he said...

Ghetto Sangria 01-22-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic (Post 58073931)
What is more worrisome is continual denial in the face of evidence. Or several years of fans trying to convince other fans, for some unexplained reason, that this team is better than it is.

Your poll should have read:

When the Habs don't make the playoffs what reason will be most cited by the fans:

1) The coach is no good.
2) Injuries killed us
3) 48 games is a small number (the sample size argument)

That will be the sad poll.

In all fairness, the only recent failures were last season and 08-09. Especially the last two playoff runs, the habs did some damage.

Crimson Skorpion 01-22-2013 08:59 AM

As I've said season after season; I don't jump on and off the bandwaggon. I drive the bandwaggon.

Pierre Dagenais 01-22-2013 09:00 AM

I'm pretty sure we will make the playoffs.

PunkinDrublic* 01-22-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gusfring (Post 58073379)
Jumping off would assume being on in the first place. I'm not an optimist or a pessimist.

It is my opinion, based on the my experience, that this is just not a very good team.

NHL Gm ? Coach ? Juniors ? Experience as an armchair Gm ?

I have experience, and this team is pretty darn good on paper ( including PK ).

YMCMBeaulieu 01-22-2013 09:03 AM

I still think this team can make the playoffs, but Subban needs to get signed ASAP or this team is ****ed.

ClasslessGuy 01-22-2013 09:05 AM

Do I think we have a great team? No. Bubble team? Yes.

Do I want and think the team will make the playoff. Of course.

zeeto 01-22-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

It was happening before the season was even supposed to start, pre-lockout...

Monctonscout 01-22-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy (Post 58073311)
I'm not an optimist or a pessimist. I would classify myself as hopeful.

Listen, I want the Habs to win just as much as the next fan and never in a million years would I endorse "tanking". But let's be real here...you can't look at this roster and say that looks like a great team. A lot would have to go right for this team to make the playoffs and maybe it does happens, but I wouldn't put $$$ down on it.

I'm not saying it's great, but it can be good...and you have to be good before you can be great. Unlike what some on here believe you have to be good before you can be great.

Marc the Habs Fan 01-22-2013 09:29 AM

Not sure where I fit in in your poll.

Never felt this team had anything but a ''if everything goes absolutely unbelievably right'' chance at being a playoff team in a shortened season with how many teams in the East have improved, yet will still watch every game. So I don't know if I am on or off your imaginary bandwagon.

This is what rebuilding looks like before the next wave of kids (assuming both Gally's are sent down) is ready.

coolasprICE 01-22-2013 09:33 AM

you are absolutely right Carey Price, too many people think we will suck and finish dead last this year.

I believe we have a very good chance of being mediocre.

gusfring 01-22-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourBuddy (Post 58074219)
NHL Gm ? Coach ? Juniors ? Experience as an armchair Gm ?

I have experience, and this team is pretty darn good on paper ( including PK ).

Experience of watching hockey for 30 years.

Our opinion's differ. I remember being challenged on this last year after I made the assessment on the roster.

Hopefully, I am wrong. Would love to be.

Bacchus1 01-22-2013 09:45 AM

Who cares what people think. If people want to jump off the bandwagon, let them! I'm a Habs fan, and I just like watching how the team does, and as someone wrote, this is pretty much exhibition hockey. Lets start making plans for the draft after at least game 15. Then we should have a clearer picture of where this team is headed. And, if we do suck, I really don't care, because this isn't a real season, and we might still end up with a decent draft pick.

Go Habs, go! :yo: