HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Flyersfan poll! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1330261)

Qyburn 01-22-2013 06:43 PM

Flyersfan poll!

Sorry about the annoying syntax. That was meant to drive away potential other team trolls from voting.

Do you think the Flyers will make the playoffs this season?

We always assume they will, and we're usually right.

Krishna 01-22-2013 06:47 PM

Voted yes

It's still one of the top offenses in the league with an average goaltending and defense core

Flyerfan4life 01-22-2013 06:57 PM

im going to vote yes, but really..

its just a guess as we have no idea how this team will perform in this shortened season.

one bad run of games and u could miss the PO's, and we already are 0-2.

SAINDON 01-22-2013 08:17 PM

I think I may want to change my vote.

YuioIklo 01-22-2013 09:18 PM

Not even scared.

FlyersFanz 01-22-2013 10:05 PM

Never know in a short season and it all depends on how Bryz plays, the way he looks right now(mediocre at best) I'm not holding my breath. Its much too early to panic yet wait another 2 weeks or so and we'll see.

Slowbro 01-23-2013 02:05 AM

so many teams make the NHL playoffs you would legitimately need to be a terrible team to miss them

SolidSnakeUS 01-23-2013 03:20 AM

I will say yes. But they really need to wake up, show interest, make good passes and tighten up defensively. If they can do that, they are good to go.

dats81 01-23-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanz (Post 58125199)
Never know in a short season and it all depends on how Bryz plays, the way he looks right now(mediocre at best) I'm not holding my breath. Its much too early to panic yet wait another 2 weeks or so and we'll see.

Well, right now it's the offense that is not delivering. That and special teams in general.

Pantokrator 01-23-2013 07:57 AM

I had the Flyers in the 6-9 spot in the conference, so I will not be surprised or upset if they miss the playoffs. I certainly did not think they would struggle on offense though. My main concern is that I really don't see this team as anywhere close to a legitimate Cup contender, and when I look three years down the road I don't either - that is what concerns me. It's the defense that scares me. We will lose Kimmo soon, and with no real prospects on the horizon and with a team that cannot develop defensemen how in the world can the team compete? I don't fault Holmgren - he tried to deal with it this summer and he is obviously not responsible for Pronger's injury. I just see the Flyers like the Sabres or Calgary or Minnesota over the last 5 years, barely making the playoffs or missing them without receiving a high draft pick to really help. And any help on D must be had through a trade of offense which will then hurt our offense. I don't know the solution.

bp spec 01-23-2013 10:44 AM

Yes.

Cyborg LeClair 01-23-2013 03:37 PM

Voted yes, but that's assuming they remember how to play soon

FlyersFan61290 01-23-2013 03:48 PM

Yes, but they need a win soon and to start playing better

BestPlayerAvailable 01-23-2013 04:02 PM

I think we will definitely slide in as a 7/8 seed at worst.

PALE PWNR 01-23-2013 06:31 PM

I can change my vote now that Hartnell is out long term?

turkinaa 01-24-2013 02:44 PM

I wanted to say yes, but since all the games are in our conference and most of them are within our division it just might not be possible if we lose majority of the games to the teams that essentially double down in points when we lose. It's not just the points we don't get, it's the points we give to the other team. If we had games out west or more games against weaker eastern teams we could make up the points along the way, but if we keep losing to the teams we play 20 times a season we get pushed down as they get higher. We need to turn things around soon before we dig the hole too deep to get out of in a shorter schedule regardless of injuries or how the team plays. All that will matter is winning games so we get the points away from other teams.

Qyburn 01-24-2013 02:56 PM

I think we only play divisional opponents about 18 times. I'm too lazy to look it up but I know we only play the Penguins 4 times, I think it's 5,5,4,4. But you're still right, and there are plenty of tough teams outside the division.

I think the whole "it's all 4 point games" thing is a statistical wash somehow, though, since it applies to everyone.

turkinaa 01-24-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qyburn (Post 58236383)
I think we only play divisional opponents about 18 times. I'm too lazy to look it up but I know we only play the Penguins 4 times, I think it's 5,5,4,4. But you're still right, and there are plenty of tough teams outside the division.

I think the whole "it's all 4 point games" thing is a statistical wash somehow, though, since it applies to everyone.

You could be right about the 18 times and it is a wash unless you don't win any games against your division. You have to split games within the division or make up the points by winning against other east teams which can be challenging to do if that's what you're relying on just to make it into the playoffs. You can lose to your division and make the playoffs by beating up the rest of the league, but in this shorter schedule making up those points from out of your division is more difficult since there are fewer games to do so. They could really turn this thing around if they can win a few games against the division and win against the rest of the east. For now we have to take it one game at a time.

Qyburn 01-24-2013 05:50 PM

It won't be a wash if you fast forward and find yourself in a points race with 1 or 2 teams in particular. So it's based mostly on the luck of the draw and on whichever teams we're fighting for whatever we're fighting for near the end of the season. It's completely subjective and not very statistical at all.

But people are sure to exploit hindsight and say "See? Told ya so. Four point games."