HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Diaz the $7million dollar defenceman?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1330795)

e46330ivs* 01-23-2013 09:42 AM

Diaz the $7million dollar defenceman??

Alright we've all seen this story play out before, Souray, Streit, Komisarek get their pay day from riding shotgun with Markov. Now I know the title is ridiculous but you guys know where Im coming from, could Diaz be the next????

Monctonscout 01-23-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e46330ivs (Post 58153273)
Alright we've all seen this story play out before, Souray, Streit, Komisarek get their pay day from riding shotgun with Markov. Now I know the title is ridiculous but you guys know where Im coming from, could Diaz be the next????

Good news is he won't get his big payday any time soon he is signed at 1.225 mil/year next year also.

I see Diaz settling in as a Rafalski type #3-4 on a good team that plays 20 minutes a night and on the top PP.

e46330ivs* 01-23-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 58153393)
Good news is he won't get his big payday any time soon he is signed at 1.225 mil/year next year also.

I forgot to ask that, good to hear!

Andy 01-23-2013 09:46 AM

It's only been 2 games, but I've said this since last year, Diaz has a lot of potential. It has nothing to do with Markov, he generally is a good hockey player and can be even better. No one spoke about/ he appears to be coming out of no where because he is small so people don't pay attention to him and instead assume he sucks or is soft. Diaz was very good last year as well, but people like to pay attention to Emelin because he can throw hits.

Diaz won't be a 7 million dollar d-man, but he can become a very effective top 4 D man. This was a good signing and has the potential to be excellent considering we didn't waste a draft pick or any assets to sign him.

Jigger77 01-23-2013 09:47 AM

Really, really impressive game by Diaz last night. Surprisingly impressive if you ask me. The poise with the puck on the PP....just nice to see. Smart hockey player and really good skills. Knows when to shoot vs pass and creates lanes.

Canadian_Brewtality 01-23-2013 09:50 AM

lol

loving the 2 game assumptions.

So far Eller is gonna be ruined
Galchenyuk looks like Lemieux
Desharnais is a one hit wonder
Markov is 28 again
Now Diaz is the better Streit

anything else?

ClasslessGuy 01-23-2013 09:53 AM

Liked what I saw yesterday but still some issues on the PP (shot or pass). He was taling with Markov on the bench after every presence.

He also need to get stronger.

417 01-23-2013 09:58 AM

There are alot of similarities with Diaz and Streit, not only the fact that they're both from the same country

but both players showed some skill in their 1st years, but they also looked tentative...I know it's only been 2 games, but Diaz seems alot more confidant this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being one of the teams best bargains this year.

I would love the Habs to find a big physical dman to match up with Diaz on the 3rd pairing...maybe Tinordi eventually settles in there next year.

PricePkPatch 01-23-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 58153393)

I see Diaz settling in as a Rafalski type #3-4 on a good team that plays 20 minutes a night and on the top PP.

So.. his contract is up at the same time as Markov's?

e46330ivs* 01-23-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality (Post 58153635)
lol

Markov is 28 again

anything else?

I understand where your coming from man, but I think your misinterpreted what Im saying.

fufonzo 01-23-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e46330ivs (Post 58153273)

Markov should collect commission!! He really has made a few guys rich, eh?

ROSSter 01-23-2013 10:06 AM

What a stupid thread with a sensationalist title.

Lshap 01-23-2013 10:10 AM

This isn't based on a two-game snapshot. Diaz had already been playing great hockey this season in the Swiss league. Add that to the brains he showed in his NHL debut last season and he looks like the real deal. Not a superstar, but a very smart & solid 2nd or 3rd pairing.

Habitants 01-23-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

lol

Markov is 28 again

anything else?

sa scent la coupe

typical Habs fans overeaction after any game.

Diaz is looking good, hope he can keep it up. Next step put weber in to replace kaberle next game.

still waiting for PK....

Mad Habber 01-23-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

lol

Markov is 28 again

anything else?

This is just the bipolar nature of these boards. Doom and gloom or high as a kyte.

A lot of people have said that Diaz is ahead of Streit at the same stage in their careers. At least at this point and last year, Diaz was good enough to play defense where Streit played a lot of games up front. I think Diaz has a very good chance of being a better all round D than Streit.

BTW, last night Markov was 28 again. I don't expect him to keep that up but after a few more games, we should know exaclty what Markov we have. Not the one from last year and not the 28 year old either. Somewhere in between.

Kjell Dahlin 01-23-2013 10:17 AM

As mentioned by, I think, MaxPac (the poster), Diaz is covering a lot of space.

I think his positioning and hockey IQ are above NHL average. He is slightly undersized and somewhat soft but he is acting smart about it: in general, he seems to be energetically involved in the play.

The season is young but despite Kaberle stepping his game up a notch, I now consider Diaz as this team 5th best D... closing in on Emelin!

He sure looked great with Markov on the PP.

e46330ivs* 01-23-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROSSter (Post 58154323)
What a stupid thread with a sensationalist title.

you just dont get the philosophical reason behind it, think about it 2 seconds, Markov makes average defenceman look like all stars he pads their stats, Im not saying Diaz is no good, but for the people that look at points only to assess a player will think he's a top NHL defenceman if he ends up with a 40-60pt season, not this year obviously but hope you get my point. Imagine how much money Subban would be asking for if Markov had played the last 2 years..... thats my point.

habs03 01-23-2013 10:21 AM

Diaz has played well 5 on 5 in both games, and he only played the pp with Markov, so to say he is looking good because of Markov isn't fair.

beowulf 01-23-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

lol

Markov is 28 again

anything else?

Who made any of those assumptions, except maybe the first by some people?

Mrb1p 01-23-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin (Post 58154789)
As mentioned by, I think, MaxPac (the poster), Diaz is covering a lot of space.

I think his positioning and hockey IQ are above NHL average. He is slightly undersized and somewhat soft but he is acting smart about it: in general, he seems to be energetically involved in the play.

The season is young but despite Kaberle stepping his game up a notch, I now consider Diaz as this team 5th best D... closing in on Emelin!

He sure looked great with Markov on the PP.

He has passed Emelin for me. As much as I like the bone crushe.

Emelin-Diaz was a damn good addition to this team, praise the goat for this one.

MasterD 01-23-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

lol

Markov is 28 again

anything else?

Prust is God.

Madevilz 01-23-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

lol

Markov is 28 again

anything else?

u mad I made the comparison months ago
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1&postcount=23

Blind Gardien 01-23-2013 10:46 AM

Diaz was a good find. Good defensemen get paid in the NHL, I can see him being a $3-4M guy after next year. Whether that's for us or not, well, Kaberle will be gone, a decision will have been made on Weber, we'll know what's up with Subban and Markov, hopefully, perhaps be seeing Beaulieu ready/not ready to step up... so yeah, it'll be something to wonder about down the road. Not today for me. :)

Reiher 01-23-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

lol

Markov is 28 again

anything else?

Yup, The Canadiens are going to win the cup:sarcasm:

gillings 01-23-2013 11:03 AM

From what I see, Diaz is a step behind markov, What he is showing is that he can utilize the best player on the ice and the open man. Props to markov for being the man!