HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Pietrangelo's Game (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1330829)

CarvinSigX 01-23-2013 10:33 AM

Pietrangelo's Game

Is there a chance that Pietrangelo's struggles are due to a new style Hitchcock is pushing on him? His skating and hands seems fine, but somehow it seems like his hockey IQ dropped...Which is NOT the Pietrangelo we've seen the past 2 years.

So...What do you think is wrong?

Did he peak early?

Is he still not right from the surgery?

Is he in game shape?

Could he be uncomfortable with Cole?

Has Hitchcock changed his expectations for Pietrangelo and he's having problems adapting?

Has the transition aggressiveness been a thorn in his side?

Have teams figured him out?

Metalcommand 01-23-2013 10:43 AM

Could it be second game of the season?

SirPaste 01-23-2013 10:45 AM

He's not in game shape yet is my guess. And he needs to stop trying to step up and make monster hits, just play defense.

CarvinSigX 01-23-2013 10:50 AM

3rd, but he was strong against Detroit. Personally? I think he's trying too hard. He got a taste of what he's truly capable of on the second half of last year. He's in a contract year and knows he can be the best player in the league if he can perform more dynamically in all aspects...And I think he will find those aspects, but he needs to tone it down a bit and let the game come to him. I still say he'll be the best d-man of this generation if he puts it all together and can stay healthy...He's big, a strong skater, is getting stronger, and can score around a PPG pace over 40 games on a pretty good team when McDonald and Perron are on their game..He could be scary good, especially with another weapon like Tarasenko.

PerryTurnbullfan 01-23-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarvinSigX (Post 58156367)
3rd, but he was strong against Detroit. Personally? I think he's trying too hard. He got a taste of what he's truly capable of on the second half of last year. He's in a contract year and knows he can be the best player in the league if he can perform more dynamically in all aspects...And I think he will find those aspects, but he needs to tone it down a bit and let the game come to him. I still say he'll be the best d-man of this generation if he puts it all together and can stay healthy...He's big, a strong skater, is getting stronger, and can score around a PPG pace over 40 games on a pretty good team when McDonald and Perron are on their game..He could be scary good, especially with another weapon like Tarasenko.

Could it be that he is not comfortable with his partner of yet and is thinking too much about what he is doing? As a former defenseman, it is an adjustment to switch partners and know what your partner might or might not do. There has to be some natural instincts that mesh. Cole tends to run around alot. (Does seem better this year) That can be frustrating having to check what your partner is doing, especially if it is outside of the box. You try to do too much.

If you recall, Backman struggled mightily playing with Brewer as Brewer ran around all over the place for no rhyme or reason. Until Brewer played with Jackman who could just sit back in his post and let Brewer wander, Brewer wasn't successful here. Just an observation. Maybe Redden will steady Pietrangelo.

2 Minute Minor 01-23-2013 11:20 AM

Geez man, the guy is just not up to game speed yet. Give it a couple more games. His timing has been a bit off. Things like judging how fast he can get to the play, etc, his decision-making is affected because he's making mistakes in judging some of those things.

What on earth are you talking about concerning Hitchcock forcing a "new style" on him? Did you watch Pietro last season? Seemed to do just fine in Hitchcock's system then. Why would you jump to blaming Hitchcock. Makes more sense to question his linemate if anything, but I think these mistakes are all on Pietro....and rust.

Iron Fist 01-23-2013 11:28 AM

Pietrangelo is arguably are best player. It's just early in the season.

CarvinSigX 01-23-2013 11:28 AM

I was just listing some reasons it COULD be, just in case someone had a crazy opinion...Read my other post. :laugh:

Alklha 01-23-2013 11:31 AM

It is just a lack of games and a lack of camp. His timing is off and he is trying to do too much, and someone needs to talk to him about the latter.

Also... stop trying to throw hits at center ice until you are up to speed Alex.

JustOneB4IDie 01-23-2013 11:38 AM

Fatiuge, new partner, pressing, lot of reasons. AP27 will be fine, relax everyone

ExJbeck 01-23-2013 12:29 PM

A lot of it is timing, he'll be fine. He knows it and he will fix it.

Mike Liut 01-23-2013 12:30 PM

It's been 3 games with no training camp after an 8 month off season. People need to lay off Halak, Perron, Petro and whoever else until everybody gets in game shape. It's going to take at least 10 games for the guys who didn't play during the lock out. Relax a little. This is still like spring training in baseball. Timing, conditioning and speed of the game take some time.

bluemandan 01-23-2013 01:04 PM

He's not up to game speed yet since he wasn't playing overseas.

Also, he may be trying to add a physical side to his game which is completely unnecessary. Similar to last season, were his offense was lagging a bit early in the season while he polished up his defensive game. His overall game may be suffering due to him attempting to add in some physicality.

All in all, it is early, and I'm not particularly concerned about our young defensemen yet.

ExJbeck 01-23-2013 01:09 PM

If he can add the physicality to his game that would be great as long as it is not a deterrent to the rest of his game.

Daley Tarasenkshow 01-23-2013 01:15 PM

If any Dman has been playing bad its Cole. Last night was a horrible game for him, and he has not looked good.

Alklha 01-23-2013 01:18 PM

Cole didn't have a great game last night, passing in particular. He was fine in the first 2 games.

BlueDream 01-23-2013 01:28 PM

Or maybe he just struggled for 2 games....

BUT THAT CAN'T POSSIBLY BE IT. THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE.

Pie Man 01-23-2013 02:37 PM

Ok that is it Carvin, no more Pie soup for you :D

Blanick 01-23-2013 05:49 PM

Honestly I can see a large difference in the players that played overseas vs. the players who just stayed home and skated and not just on the Blues but from other team I have watched aswell.

So far it seems like Backes, Pietrangelo, Perron and more players that didnt play are struggling while players like Shattenkirk, both Vladi's and Berglund have all looked really good to me. Give it a few more games and I think we will begin to see the full team fall into synch.

rumrokh 01-23-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reavesthemaniac (Post 58163643)
If any Dman has been playing bad its Cole. Last night was a horrible game for him, and he has not looked good.

Cole looked great in the previous two games and still had some good plays last night. He's a rookie in the third game in four nights to start the season, against Chicago, possibly the most dangerous offensive team in the league. They made everybody look bad more than once last night.

Even though Pietro has been goofy defensively, he's still made good plays and has been very effective offensively. As I said before, the next five to ten games will be a grind to get back into game shape and rhythm for him and a few other guys. But in the meantime, he's still been instrumental in the four points they've gotten. This will continue to be the case, even when he doesn't look like himself.

Dr Robot 01-23-2013 07:12 PM

I personally think a lot of these guys haven't seen high level competition in a while(counting the first 2 games, sorta) so doing all the stupid stuff you have the natural ability to get away with against bad teams is starting to show. You don't realize your a half second slower than normal or understanding whats happening in the play a half second later than normal when your tired/out of practice. Once he gets loosened up(same for our top line) the mistakes start to disappear and we will start making other teams question whats wrong with themselves instead of threads like this. Usually I try not to judge players/teams for 20 games(Phil Kessel on pace for 120 goals anyone?) but this year its shortened and hitch said throw the first 10 games out so I will go with his number. Ill let you know what I think is wrong with Petro in about 2 weeks.

The Note 01-23-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blanick (Post 58177221)
Honestly I can see a large difference in the players that played overseas vs. the players who just stayed home and skated and not just on the Blues but from other team I have watched aswell.

So far it seems like Backes, Pietrangelo, Perron and more players that didnt play are struggling while players like Shattenkirk, both Vladi's and Berglund have all looked really good to me. Give it a few more games and I think we will begin to see the full team fall into synch.

Yeah I agree. You can definitely see the rust on the guys who didn't play. Once they get into full swing it'll be alright.

bluesman11 01-23-2013 08:44 PM

I would say it’s too early to give a good diagnosis, except for the obvious it’s early and there was no training camp.

Other than that it says how good he really is when we can all see he’s a little off and yet he has 4 points and is +2 in the first three games. The team is 2 and 1, and they made a heck of an effort in the third period in the one game they lost.

Robb_K 01-23-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alklha (Post 58158411)
It is just a lack of games and a lack of camp. His timing is off and he is trying to do too much, and someone needs to talk to him about the latter.

Also... stop trying to throw hits at center ice until you are up to speed Alex.

All the above is exactly his problem. He and all the others who didn't play in The AHL or Europe will be fine after 5-6 more games. Their timing is off and they don't have their skates under them yet (so to speak).

MattyMo35 01-23-2013 10:47 PM

Pietrangelo is the last guy on the team I'd be concerned about long term. He's had back to back poor games(for his standards) after he didn't play for 9 months and had a week to prepare. If he's still playing like this is 2 weeks, maybe I'll have a little concern. I think that's pretty unlikely, though.