HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Edm acquiring a #2C (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1330889)

BowDangles 01-23-2013 12:05 PM

Edm acquiring a #2C

Okay just for conversation purposes, lets ASSUME that the Oilers traded Gagner.

So here is my questions. What #2Cs are available around the league that the Oilers could acquire to replace Gagner if he were traded.

And what would it take to get them? (obviously you wouldn't trade hall,ebs,rnh,yak, or shultz for a 2C...).

Im more interested in a bigger centre, doesnt need to be all star caliber, just someone who can play between Yak and Hemsky and through the body around a bit.

The Podium 01-23-2013 12:16 PM

Problem with Edmonton is that every valuable piece is part of their core. They literally have no trading piece but Hemsky, Gagner and a bunch of B level prospects all of whom won't return a good young 2C

deytookerjaabs 01-23-2013 12:19 PM

This isn't a surefire option but I just want to plug Brandon Pirri. He's been one of the best players in Rockford on a **** team with **** linemates. For some reason Quenneville isn't ready to start the kid and went with Andrew Shaw at our 3C position out of camp, where Shaw's strengths disappear. That's not to compare Shaw to Pirri, Pirri has far more skill and Shaw is on the team simply because of his grit. I watch the Rockford Icehogs a lot and Pirri is always creating opportunities and looks dangerous every time he is on the ice, he's worked hard to improve his game and to me is no doubt a future 2C in this league. I think the Blackhawks might be keeping him down under the assumption that Bolland will be injured at some point and then Pirri will see an opportunity at 2C. If he isn't on the team by the end of the year I hope we move him somewhere where he is given a serious opportunity to play.

TheJuxtaposer 01-23-2013 12:27 PM

1) Tank
2) Draft one of Monahan/Lindholm/Barkov
3) ???
4) Playoffs.

No one's trading you a better 2C than Gagner for Gagner and Hemsky.

Analyzer 01-23-2013 12:29 PM

Teams with a player who's big, wins faceoffs and throws the body around aren't giving that player up easily.

magic school bus 01-23-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 58161355)
Teams with a player who's big, wins faceoffs and throws the body around aren't giving that player up easily.

Exactly.

Musashi 01-23-2013 12:33 PM

I think we need to target teams 3rd or 4th line centers who can step in and hit the next level playing with our talented top 6 players. Someone who has underated offense and is solid defensively with a lot of heart. No team is realistically trading there #2C to Edmonton for what we would want to give up.

We need to pull something off like how we did aquiring glencross or what minnesota did in inquiring brodziak.

It's a shame we got rid of KB, I always saw a player there and we got rid of him for next to nothing. IMO he would have more value to the oilers and trade value then Sam Gagner has right now and would be a better option at a #2C on our team

TheJuxtaposer 01-23-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak (Post 58161573)
I think we need to target teams 3rd or 4th line centers who can step in and hit the next level playing with our talented top 6 players. Someone who has underated offense and is solid defensively with a lot of heart. No team is realistically trading there #2C to Edmonton for what we would want to give up.

We need to pull something off like how we did aquiring glencross or what minnesota did in inquiring brodziak.

It's a shame we got rid of KB, I always saw a player there and we got rid of him for next to nothing. IMO he would have more value to the oilers and trade value then Sam Gagner has right now and would be a better option at a #2C on our team

You're so modest, Kyle.

zytz 01-23-2013 12:41 PM

So... is Gagner a piece in a trade to get a better C?

Peter Griffin 01-23-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zytz (Post 58161939)

I think this whole scenario is based on the rumour of the Oilers offering Gagner for Luongo.

BowDangles 01-23-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zytz (Post 58161939)

No the point of the thread is to assume Gagner was moved for something else...
If he was moved I can not see them moving Hemsky because they would just be ripping apart their top 6.
So I would like them to use picks and prospects to get a centre man, does not necessarily have to be young either..

Edmonton does have two second round picks this year so they would prob not hesitate to move one of those along to compliment a bigger package.

Gobo 01-23-2013 12:50 PM

If only Phoenix didn't like Martin Hanzal so much. Literally a perfect fit.

Could try going after a guy like Mark Letesu or Derrick Brassard. Anything better than Horc.

anthonyyy 01-23-2013 12:53 PM

Hemsky and 1st for Marleau? He leads the league in goals :D

BowDangles 01-23-2013 01:00 PM

What would it take to get Dubinsky out of Columbus? Would Dubnyk be of any interest to them?

BonMorrison 01-23-2013 01:01 PM

Something around Brooks Laich?

Pierce Hawthorne 01-23-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowDangles (Post 58162883)
What would it take to get Dubinsky out of Columbus? Would Dubnyk be of any interest to them?

LOL

Duby would be number 3 at best their. Mason and Bobrovsky are both better. Bobrovsky in particular has played well this year, they don't need goalie help at all right now. Certainly not for a player the only just traded for in Dubinsky and was an essential part in the Nash trade.

The Nuge 01-23-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avsare1 (Post 58163053)
LOL

Duby would be number 3 at best their. Mason and Bobrovsky are both better. Bobrovsky in particular has played well this year, they don't need goalie help at all right now. Certainly not for a player the only just traded for in Dubinsky and was an essential part in the Nash trade.

Right... One bad game and suddenly they're both better? Come on

Ralphy 01-23-2013 01:09 PM

I would ask if Edmonton would want Connolly for free but if that was the case they could have picked him up on waivers.
If they somehow acquired someone like Kesler, I'd be looking out for Edmonton.

Pigs On The Wing 01-23-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avsare1 (Post 58163053)
LOL

:laugh: Yeah. Mason is better than anybody.

Hatrick Marleau 01-23-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyyy (Post 58162491)
Hemsky and 1st for Marleau? He leads the league in goals :D

That is a bad deal for the Sharks.

DousedInOil 01-23-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Podium (Post 58160665)
Problem with Edmonton is that every valuable piece is part of their core. They literally have no trading piece but Hemsky, Gagner and a bunch of B level prospects all of whom won't return a good young 2C

I don't get why people keep saying this. We still have our 1st round pick, two seconds and I wouldn't call all our prospects B level. Paajarvai, Lander, Marincin, Klefbom and Musil all have decent trade value. I would argue that teams would see value in Gagner, Hemsky, Jones, Belanger, and pretty much anyone on defence outside of Schultz is available.

We won't get an elite number 2 center but we could certainly get a guy that fits the role.

Analyzer 01-23-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DousedInOil (Post 58164059)
I don't get why people keep saying this. We still have our 1st round pick, two seconds and I wouldn't call all our prospects B level. Paajarvai, Lander, Marincin, Klefbom and Musil all have decent trade value. I would argue that teams would see value in Gagner, Hemsky, Jones, Belanger, and pretty much anyone on defence outside of Schultz is available.

Unfortunately, there are at least 25 other teams looking for the centre the op described.

BowDangles 01-23-2013 01:25 PM

I wonder what the Oilers could get in regards to a centre for their 1st round pick this year.
While the season is early it could hold some serious value..

416Leafer 01-23-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DousedInOil (Post 58164059)

... Do you know what "B Level" means? It means good prospects, but not top blue chip prospects. All teams have "B Prospects". If those guys were better than "B", they would be "A Prospects" and thus be "top prospects".. please don't tell me you think they're comparable to ~Kuznetsov, Zbad, Shwartz, Baertschi, Rielly, Hamilton, etc??

For example, I would call ~Finn, Percy, Biggs, Colborne, etc "B Prospects" for Toronto. They have value. But they definitely aren't projected to be top line material.

FlyingHigh28* 01-23-2013 01:30 PM

From Philly, Briere would be available.