HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Reaves in Lineup vs out (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1331089)

TuukYou14 01-23-2013 03:50 PM

Reaves in Lineup vs out
 
First of all, i'd like to say that i'm not a fan of putting langs and dags in last night. Maybe Dags for nichol, but absolutley not 15.

I think it has become pretty obvious that the team plays better when Reaves is in the lineup... This seemed to be obvious in the playoffs last year as well.I get that he's not an impact scorer, but i'm a huge fan of his speed and smarts... i would definitely call him an impact 4L.

Personally think we need him in every game.
thoughts?...

Mike Liut 01-23-2013 03:59 PM

I think he will play most games. Hitch just wanted to keep Dags and Langs from getting too rusty. At some point in the season, they will be needed. Injuries always happen. You might see then play for Schwartz and somebody else too. It will pay off later in the season to keep guys fresh.

TuukYou14 01-23-2013 04:04 PM

I understand that... I personally just don't think they should sit Reaves, especially in a situation where we know it's going to be a physical game.

Crumblin Erb Brooks 01-23-2013 04:09 PM

Reaves fits in well on our 4th line simply because we dont need a ton of minutes from our 4th line RW. I definitely think Langs is the better player of the two, but if we only need 5-7 minutes from that guy, the difference between the two is minimal. Neither, maybe Langs, would get much PK time.

And I prefer Nichol to both of them.

Alklha 01-23-2013 04:11 PM

So we should sit players in our top 9 to get Langenbrunner game time?

Reaves is the preferred choice, but we are going to need all our forwards this season and that means he is going to have to sit sometimes. As the important game come later in the season, and when we get to the playoffs, I expect Reaves will be the player on the ice.

SirPaste 01-23-2013 04:31 PM

I want Reaves in all the time, I understand why Langs is here but I prefer him in the pressbox.

TuukYou14 01-23-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alklha (Post 58172713)
So we should sit players in our top 9 to get Langenbrunner game time?

Reaves is the preferred choice, but we are going to need all our forwards this season and that means he is going to have to sit sometimes. As the important game come later in the season, and when we get to the playoffs, I expect Reaves will be the player on the ice.


Every game is important in this shortened season - especially against the blackhawks...
Get points early and often, because as injuries start to happen - those "more important games" you think are more important, may not be as easy to win.

Use the Schwartz* 01-23-2013 04:34 PM

Reaves for 82.

Perron-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Berglund-Stewart
AMac-Steen-Tarasenko
Sobo-Nichol-Reaves

Every game barring injury.

Dags is too good to play on a fourth line role. Langenbrunner seems to have lost a step, looked slow last night.

MattyMo35 01-23-2013 04:41 PM

I'd play Reaves every single game barring injury. He provides a ton of energy, is a ferocious hitter, and keeps the opposing team honest. He's a great 4th liner for us.

Spear 01-23-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyMo35 (Post 58174001)
I'd play Reaves every single game barring injury. He provides a ton of energy, is a ferocious hitter, and keeps the opposing team honest. He's a great 4th liner for us.

Yup, with Reaves in the game Stewart doesn't go with Bollig; keeping the scoring lines intact for those 5 minutes.

EastonBlues22 01-23-2013 08:51 PM

The fourth line had a decidedly different look last night, but it wasn't any less effective than the other variation. It was effective at pushing the play forward and it generally executed well, generating more pressure and chances than it gave up.

This issue with how the team played last night has pretty much nothing to do with whether or not Reaves was in the lineup.

2 Minute Minor 01-23-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuukYou14 (Post 58171689)
First of all, i'd like to say that i'm not a fan of putting langs and dags in last night. Maybe Dags for nichol, but absolutley not 15.

I think it has become pretty obvious that the team plays better when Reaves is in the lineup... This seemed to be obvious in the playoffs last year as well.I get that he's not an impact scorer, but i'm a huge fan of his speed and smarts... i would definitely call him an impact 4L.

Personally think we need him in every game.
thoughts?...

When Reaves is only getting about 5 minutes a game (like vs Nashville) is it really Reaves presence that matters, or is it that more minutes are going to top 9 players? I like Reaves, but I fail to see that he's the critical difference.

underslept 01-24-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor (Post 58201759)
When Reaves is only getting about 5 minutes a game (like vs Nashville) is it really Reaves presence that matters, or is it that more minutes are going to top 9 players? I like Reaves, but I fail to see that he's the critical difference.

Personally, I think Reaves wears out the other team more by forechecking and ultimately being more physical in those 5-7 minutes than Langs or D'Ags would. I also feel Sobotka-Nichol-Reaves have the most chemistry and are the most effective fourth line we have available.

2 Minute Minor 01-24-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underslept (Post 58212261)
Personally, I think Reaves wears out the other team more by forechecking and ultimately being more physical in those 5-7 minutes than Langs or D'Ags would. I also feel Sobotka-Nichol-Reaves have the most chemistry and are the most effective fourth line we have available.

Maybe true, but I still don't see how those 5 minutes are going to significantly alter the way the rest of the team plays.

I like that there is flexibility to put more offensive skill onto the 4th line if its desired. I don't see it as a one-recipe-fits-all-occasions situation. There will be opponents and circumstances where we want to see Reaves in there, and other games where it makes more sense to go with D'Agostini. Its a nice problem to have. Heck, I wish there was a way Porter could have stayed on the active roster without sacrificing anyone else, since I think he'd work his way into the line-up from time to time.

I think people misunderstood Hitch's comments about D'Agostini being an important part of the DEPTH this season. It didn't mean he was edging Schwartz for a roster spot, or even that he's gaining favor on the 4th line. But we'll be glad a player with his skill level is available if a top 9 forward goes down for any extended period. (Likewise Langenbrunner and Sobotka for sliding up if need be.)

BlueDream 01-24-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor (Post 58213145)
Maybe true, but I still don't see how those 5 minutes are going to significantly alter the way the rest of the team plays.

It's called giving your team energy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor (Post 58213145)
I like that there is flexibility to put more offensive skill onto the 4th line if its desired. I don't see it as a one-recipe-fits-all-occasions situation. There will be opponents and circumstances where we want to see Reaves in there, and other games where it makes more sense to go with D'Agostini. Its a nice problem to have. Heck, I wish there was a way Porter could have stayed on the active roster without sacrificing anyone else, since I think he'd work his way into the line-up from time to time.

No it never makes sense to put D'Agostini in on the 4th-line because it has never worked; he's terrible there.

I would rather have Porter in there instead of D'Agostini without even thinking twice about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor (Post 58213145)
I think people misunderstood Hitch's comments about D'Agostini being an important part of the DEPTH this season. It didn't mean he was edging Schwartz for a roster spot, or even that he's gaining favor on the 4th line. But we'll be glad a player with his skill level is available if a top 9 forward goes down for any extended period. (Likewise Langenbrunner and Sobotka for sliding up if need be.)

The problem is that D'Agostini doesn't really gel with any of our top 3 lines.

Also, Langenbrunner does not provide much on the ice at all. Don't even see the point in putting him in there.

Daley Tarasenkshow 01-24-2013 08:36 AM

I'm all for playing Reaves, but I like Dags too. I think he held his own in his lone game. I really think Langs has to go, he veteran presence is important, sure, but now that we have Redden I do not see a need for him.

ChicagoBlues 01-24-2013 10:44 AM

I thought that putting in Langs wasn't so much the problem as leaving Reaves out. He is a shift disturber.

The Grouch 01-24-2013 04:24 PM

Last season the Blues were 36-14-10 (.600) with Reaves in the lineup(60GP), and 13-8-1 (.591) with Reaves out of the lineup.

Two seasons ago the Blues were 13-12-3 (.464) with Reaves in the lineup(28GP), and 25-21-8 (.463) with Reaves out of the lineup.

I like what Reaves brings to the team, but I'm inclined to agree with 2MM, I don't see Reaves as a critical difference in the lineup.

STLBLUES44 01-24-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuukYou14 (Post 58171689)
First of all, i'd like to say that i'm not a fan of putting langs and dags in last night. Maybe Dags for nichol, but absolutley not 15.

I think it has become pretty obvious that the team plays better when Reaves is in the lineup... This seemed to be obvious in the playoffs last year as well.I get that he's not an impact scorer, but i'm a huge fan of his speed and smarts... i would definitely call him an impact 4L.

Personally think we need him in every game.
thoughts?...

agreed. I hate seeing d'ags without a spot on this team but i love having a 4th line of sobotka-nichol- reaves. I say work d'agostini in for stewart if he needs a night off and then to fill in for injuries.

stlweir 01-25-2013 12:24 PM

Going to need Dags somewhere along the way. I love that line " Reaves is a shift disturber". His line provides energy, gets some scoring chances and spends a good amount of time in the other teams zone. That is a line that other teams don't like to play against. Reaves is a good enough skater that he can nail players with clean hits and not take dumb penalties. Certainly he is a policeman he can contribute with his play and his fists. He is another nice piece of this Blues team.

Mike Liut 01-25-2013 03:25 PM

With Reaves style of play, I don't mind him sitting out a game here and there against less physical teams, or teams you know the Blues can beat. This will keep him fresh when the Blues really need him. But Hitch HAS to play him against the Hawks every time we play them.

JustOneB4IDie 01-26-2013 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Liut (Post 58325319)
With Reaves style of play, I don't mind him sitting out a game here and there against less physical teams, or teams you know the Blues can beat. This will keep him fresh when the Blues really need him. But Hitch HAS to play him against the Hawks every time we play them.

besides Chicago, Reeves should also suit up for Detroit, Nashville and Columbus as well, just saying...

Renard 01-29-2013 08:18 AM

Like all players, he has his strengths and weaknesses. He is a big hitter, and that gets the crowd pumped up. He is a tough guy, and that makes his teamates play a little more physically. He looks like he can skate, at least in a straight line. He did a nice job of screening the goalie on Redden's shot the other night. You wont see him on a power play or a shoot out, you wont see any toe drags or spin moves.

He certainly is an asset to the team. My only concern is that the referees will focus on him, penalize him, and cause him to play a diminished game.

Dolph Ziggler 01-29-2013 09:20 AM

I love Reaves. Want him in every night.

I wouldn't mind see D'Ags in Schwartz every now and then. Give Schwartz the Perron treatment from his rookie year which could be beneficial. Allows him to see the game from a different view.

I don't have a problem with what Langenbrunner adds, it's that I wouldn't want to take somebody else out for him.

I really feel this is a disservice to Matt D'Agostini the way he's not playing at all.

moolah3i4 01-29-2013 10:42 AM

Langs is getting up there in age, so he's not as effective as he was couple years ago. Now, Reaves is a different story, he excites the game with big hits, and his fights. But lately he hasent fought but thats due to us winning.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.