HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Morrow or Robidas to Philly (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1331229)

Modo 01-23-2013 06:50 PM

Morrow or Robidas to Philly

What would Philly give up for either/both of these Dallas players?

With Hartnell on the shelf, maybe Morrow could sub in as a gritty winger, albeit with less offensive upside.

Two vets to maybe shake things up for a Flyers team off to a rough start. :dunno:

Ogi1Kenobi 01-23-2013 06:55 PM

Wouldn't we get more if we sold them separately?

Trade Robidas to Philly (it wouldn't cost much). He and Grossman were the top pair in Dallas for many seasons.

Modo 01-23-2013 07:03 PM

Well I'm pretty sure both would waive to go to Philly, and with the Flyers' craptastic start to the year maybe they'd look to bring in more than one player to fix things.

Krishna 01-23-2013 08:17 PM

How about no to Robidas

Robidas has been pretty terrible his season and isn't getting younger.

Not sure what Morrow would get but I hope Holmgren holds onto the picks and prospects

LatvianTwist 01-23-2013 08:18 PM

Would literally take a 7th for both of them if I were GM.

Thank god I'm not.

Ogi1Kenobi 01-23-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LatvianTwist (Post 58191879)
Would literally take a 7th for both of them if I were GM.

Thank god I'm not.

Exactly.

Philly can have both for cheap.

TrillMike 01-23-2013 09:03 PM

Morrow would be a nice fit in PHI. I'm sure he'd wave his NTC to go there too.

FlyersFan61290 01-23-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi (Post 58194045)
Exactly.

Philly can have both for cheap.

Why so cheap? I don't get to catch many Dallas games/follow them at all so I'm completely oblivious.

Krishna 01-23-2013 09:53 PM

Because they've both been really bad

OLUSAF 01-23-2013 10:22 PM

What holes are the stars looking to fill in their roster?

I don't get the morrow hate lately

Modo 01-23-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLUSAF (Post 58204371)
What holes are the stars looking to fill in their roster?

I don't get the morrow hate lately

See that hit?

That was almost five years ago.

Since that monstrous hit, the Stars board can probably count on one hand the number of games he's earned the "C" on his sweater.

Yes, he's overcome a few injuries since then as well, but it's clear right now that he's a shell of his former self, seems disinterested and lazy, and I think it's time he and the Stars parted ways.

I think a change of scenery would do him well and like I said before, he'd waive to go to a team with more upside, like Philly.

Oh, and to answer your question, we could stand to gain some youth, I'd imagine. Morrow's spot would be filled by one of our youngsters in the AHL. I think we have enough vets on the team as it is so I don't think a vet-for-vet swap is in the cards.

OLUSAF 01-23-2013 11:11 PM

Come deadline time I could see 2nd + prospect. Similar to what Ribeiro got for morrow.

LatvianTwist 01-24-2013 06:46 AM

Morrow is just old and beaten up.

Robidas isn't a bad hockey player, he's just being used in way too important of a position, and he can't play at that level. He's being misused. As a #4-6 guy, he should be very effective physically and in both ends of the ice (as much as a #4 can be).

nmbr_24 01-24-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modo (Post 58181587)
What would Philly give up for either/both of these Dallas players?

With Hartnell on the shelf, maybe Morrow could sub in as a gritty winger, albeit with less offensive upside.

Two vets to maybe shake things up for a Flyers team off to a rough start. :dunno:

Out of curiosity, what are you looking for in return for Morrow? What type of deal are you looking for, what positions do you want to fill?

I am sure that within reason the Bruins would be interested, he seems like he would be the ideal fit in my eyes anyway. Veteran leadership and he is a left wing, perfect for the Bruins 3rd line, if he can't make it at that spot I think a team could do a lot worse than having Morrow as your 13th forward for the playoffs.

I understand if a deal just isn't there to be had because the Bruins are only going to be looking to make a pick/prospect type of deal at this time.

edit

I see I should have read more of the thread and I would have gotten some of those answers.

Do you think they would be looking for any position in particular? The Bruins actually have a lot of prospects that I like right now. Actually they have more prospects that I like than any time I remember. They are a little thin on high quality D prospects after Hamilton, but they have lots of good forward and goaltending prospects.

LatvianTwist 01-24-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmbr_24 (Post 58217407)
Out of curiosity, what are you looking for in return for Morrow? What type of deal are you looking for, what positions do you want to fill?

I am sure that within reason the Bruins would be interested, he seems like he would be the ideal fit in my eyes anyway. Veteran leadership and he is a left wing, perfect for the Bruins 3rd line, if he can't make it at that spot I think a team could do a lot worse than having Morrow as your 13th forward for the playoffs.

I understand if a deal just isn't there to be had because the Bruins are only going to be looking to make a pick/prospect type of deal at this time.

Would add for a guy like Caron or Spooner. Knight too, probably.

nmbr_24 01-24-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LatvianTwist (Post 58217519)
Would add for a guy like Caron or Spooner. Knight too, probably.

I would consider Knight or Caron, those are 2 pretty good prospects though. I'm not saying they are top line material or anything, but good, physical, all around players. Although Knight is just starting his rookie season in the AHL, there have been a lot of reports that Knight is NHL ready and would make a lot of NHL teams right now.

Since Caron has already played with Boston and Knight is just starting his rookie season in Providence and the Bruins have a lot of forward prospects, I would do Knight. What else did you have in mind?

BigG44 01-24-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLUSAF (Post 58207647)
Come deadline time I could see 2nd + prospect. Similar to what Ribeiro got for morrow.

Ribeiro had a full season remaining on his contract, and the team acquiring Morrow would likely only get 3 weeks + the playoffs for him.

At best I think Dallas gets one or the other, and I'd guess they'd prefer the pick.

Matt Fraser and Alex Chiasson have been heating up in the AHL, by the time the April 3rd trade deadline arrives, it's possible the team would prefer one of them in the lineup over Brenden.

BigG44 01-24-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmbr_24 (Post 58217783)
I would consider Knight or Caron, those are 2 pretty good prospects though. I'm not saying they are top line material or anything, but good, physical, all around players. Although Knight is just starting his rookie season in the AHL, there have been a lot of reports that Knight is NHL ready and would make a lot of NHL teams right now.

Since Caron has already played with Boston and Knight is just starting his rookie season in Providence and the Bruins have a lot of forward prospects, I would do Knight. What else did you have in mind?

Caron seems to be very similar to another Dallas prospect Tomas Vincour. I could be wrong, but I don't think they'd value him. At 22 years old, Caron would just enter the very crowded winger depth Dallas already has. Plus, I feel pretty confident he'd be viewed as a 2nd tier young player behind guys like Reilly Smith, Matt Fraser, and Alex Chiasson. He might get some NHL games in Dallas this year, but he'd get buried pretty quickly when you look ahead next year to Brett Ritchie and Matej Stransky turning pro.

Like I said in the post above, I think picks would be valued more by Dallas .... well, unless there was a center prospect available.

nmbr_24 01-24-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigG44 (Post 58228121)
Caron seems to be very similar to another Dallas prospect Tomas Vincour. I could be wrong, but I don't think they'd value him. At 22 years old, Caron would just enter the very crowded winger depth Dallas already has. Plus, I feel pretty confident he'd be viewed as a 2nd tier young player behind guys like Reilly Smith, Matt Fraser, and Alex Chiasson. He might get some NHL games in Dallas this year, but he'd get buried pretty quickly when you look ahead next year to Brett Ritchie and Matej Stransky turning pro.

Like I said in the post above, I think picks would be valued more by Dallas .... well, unless there was a center prospect available.

I am not familiar enough with the Star's prospects to say where I would rate Caron, but if you have 3 players who are prospects and are better than him and ready to play
now, you guys are in great shape on the wing. I definitely would not consider giving up a player who is better than Caron for Morrow and unfortunately the situation is that the Bruins have 3 very nice center prospects in my eyes. I just wouldn't give one of them up for Morrow. Any of the 2nd tier centers would be available, those guys probably have a ceiling of being a 3rd line guy though.

I would offer a 3rd and a mid level prospect like Ben Sexton who is a center, I'm not sure how you would feel about that, but no problem if it doesn't work for you. If there is no deal, that's just how it is.

BigG44 01-24-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmbr_24 (Post 58231519)
I am not familiar enough with the Star's prospects to say where I would rate Caron, but if you have 3 players who are prospects and are better than him and ready to play
now, you guys are in great shape on the wing. I definitely would not consider giving up a player who is better than Caron for Morrow and unfortunately the situation is that the Bruins have 3 very nice center prospects in my eyes. I just wouldn't give one of them up for Morrow. Any of the 2nd tier centers would be available, those guys probably have a ceiling of being a 3rd line guy though.

I would offer a 3rd and a mid level prospect like Ben Sexton who is a center, I'm not sure how you would feel about that, but no problem if it doesn't work for you. If there is no deal, that's just how it is.

Dallas put a big focus on drafting wingers in 2009 so many of those guys are starting to prove they are either NHL ready or close to it. Plus, they made a smart undrafted FA signing of Matt Fraser who in his 2nd season in the AHL is proving his goal scoring as a rookie (37 goals) is no fluke. He'e already picked up 20 this year, and he's on pace for the mid-30's again.

The GM and other members of the organization have already pegged Fraser and Chiasson as potential call ups, Reilly Smith is already in the NHL, and Tomas Vincour has 70 games of NHL experience.

Honestly it would seem that Dallas and Boston just wouldn't be good trade partners. I actually really do think Caron is a solid player. The only reason I don't think Dallas would want him is he's a bit redundant. I don't think Dallas would have to settle for a 3rd and lower prospect because I do believe some team would offer a 2nd round pick (and less likely but someone might add a lesser asset with it).

nmbr_24 01-24-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigG44 (Post 58234387)
Dallas put a big focus on drafting wingers in 2009 so many of those guys are starting to prove they are either NHL ready or close to it. Plus, they made a smart undrafted FA signing of Matt Fraser who in his 2nd season in the AHL is proving his goal scoring as a rookie (37 goals) is no fluke. He'e already picked up 20 this year, and he's on pace for the mid-30's again.

The GM and other members of the organization have already pegged Fraser and Chiasson as potential call ups, Reilly Smith is already in the NHL, and Tomas Vincour has 70 games of NHL experience.

Honestly it would seem that Dallas and Boston just wouldn't be good trade partners. I actually really do think Caron is a solid player. The only reason I don't think Dallas would want him is he's a bit redundant. I don't think Dallas would have to settle for a 3rd and lower prospect because I do believe some team would offer a 2nd round pick (and less likely but someone might add a lesser asset with it).

I understand that. I might be willing to go to a 2nd but I would want a little time to see how things are going with the players they already have. Maybe even making a trade of a prospect or two to acquire another 2nd round pick. This draft is supposed to be so deep that the guys taken in the second round are going to be very good.

SheasRebellion6 01-24-2013 04:27 PM

The most I would offer for both of them together is a 4th round pick. The Flyers need help, but they need to start drafting in all rounds or pretty close to it. They need to conserve picks.

LatvianTwist 01-25-2013 12:44 AM

I'd take a 4th for Morrow (at half salary). :nod:

StarsFan74 01-25-2013 02:00 AM

Boston is one destination Morrow would like to go, but does a deep Boston team have a spot for him? Looks like the Kelly-Peverley 3rd line has Chris Bourque on the LW, am I right? There might be a place for him.

nmbr_24 01-25-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarsFan74 (Post 58297953)
Boston is one destination Morrow would like to go, but does a deep Boston team have a spot for him? Looks like the Kelly-Peverley 3rd line has Chris Bourque on the LW, am I right? There might be a place for him.

There would be a place for him, whether that is as the 13th forward or the 3rd line left wing would remain to be seen. Jordan Caron is out with an injury, he is another player that Morrow would have to beat out for that spot. But the main idea for me anyway, is to have the depth so that when someone is injured the spot can be filled easily.

Every Bruin fan won't agree with me, but I just don't see Bourque as an adequate option for the 3rd line LW position. Caron offers excellent defense and penalty killing to go with his streaky but at times good offensive skills. Bourque is a great AHL top line player, but it seems to me that the AHL is where he belongs. I think some people want him to succeed because of who his father is.

Morrow is desireable because of his leadership skills and the hope that playing for a contender will motivate him to be a little closer to the player he was a few years ago.

The price has to be right, he would only be a depth player. I don't know if the Bruins would be willing to give up a pick in the first couple of rounds when the draft is supposed to be so deep. Any mid level prospect would be ok, a lesser pick would be ok, a combination of those would be ok.

If the Stars wanted to maximize the return from Boston, one way that might be possible is if they took Tim Thomas as well. It would be a trade in name only, Thomas wouldn't play, they wouldn't have to pay him anything, he would be an UFA after this season, but he would have a $5 million cap hit. Taking Thomas would then make it possible for the Bruins to add another player and it would be worth something to the Bruins.