HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   CHL adds Brampton, ON franchise (UPD: paperwork finalized) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1331241)

CrazyEddie20 01-23-2013 07:08 PM

CHL adds Brampton, ON franchise (UPD: paperwork finalized)

Well, they must have really needed the expansion fees badly to keep the league afloat. What a joke.

http://centralhockeyleague.com/news/?article_id=9177

Brampton? The OHL didn't survive in Brampton, and the OHL is the absolute focus of the non-NHL hockey world in the GTA. This can only end badly. What amounts in reality to Class-A hockey will be a disaster in Brampton.

SFTC Addict 01-23-2013 07:30 PM

LOL.

This leagues gunna see a next year?

Nbr-17 01-25-2013 01:30 PM

A good article on the subject :naughty:
City of Brampton brings some much-needed hilarity to the hockey scene

No Fun Shogun 01-26-2013 12:49 PM

I can only imagine how screwy the schedule's going to be for Brampton. Wouldn't be surprised if they played their entire home series against a team in the span of a week to make only one prolonged road trip.

ckg927 01-26-2013 03:22 PM

As some would say...

"What....The.....*BLEEEEPPPPPP*...."

Is Brampton THAT desperate to get hockey back after the Troops leave for North Bay?

What's their attendance goal going to be...family and friends of the players in the stands?

Steelhead16 01-26-2013 04:30 PM

Should we bother with an over/under on number of seasons played or just go straight to number of games played?

wildcat48 01-27-2013 07:44 AM

It's a bad idea, imo... but, there is a precident for having a team that far away. The AHL with Abbottsford.

Alpine 01-27-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildcat48 (Post 58443515)
It's a bad idea, imo... but, there is a precident for having a team that far away. The AHL with Abbottsford.

AHL St John's.....ECHL Alaska

CrazyEddie20 01-27-2013 02:44 PM

All those teams you've mentioned subsidize the visiting teams' travel in and out - I doubt Brampton will be doing that.

The Battalion haven't averaged above 2,500 since 2007-08 and have been under 2,000 the last two seasons. Numbers like that combined with 1000km++ travel every single road trip will sink this team in a year.

SFTC Addict 01-28-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelhead16 (Post 58397127)
Should we bother with an over/under on number of seasons played or just go straight to number of games played?

Nah, not games. If we did that...Dayton, Bloomington and QC would have folded faster than they did....(Well QC hasn't yet but they should soon)

LadyStanley 03-08-2013 11:35 PM

http://centralhockeyleague.com/news/...rticle_id=9462

CHL finalizes paperwork for new team in Brampton, ON to start play this fall.

ForsbergForever 03-09-2013 11:19 AM

So with Bloomington and Quad City on the verge of folding, that leaves the expansion St. Charles as the closest team at 1, 219 Km (11h 40 min) away. How is that even logistically possible?

LippinOff 03-09-2013 11:20 AM

I still wonder if this is a backdoor attempt for Brampton to get into the ECHL with a looming absorption. The geography would work in that league.

Mightygoose 03-09-2013 08:59 PM

If the Leafs are going to have an affiliation making this their 'AA' team, it will be the only thing that will make sense with this endeavour.

CrazyEddie20 03-11-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mightygoose (Post 61344169)
If the Leafs are going to have an affiliation making this their 'AA' team, it will be the only thing that will make sense with this endeavour.

Even the Leafs, one of the worst organizations in the NHL, wouldn't stick their Class-AA players in a Class-A league. They've managed to develop a number of regular NHL players through the ECHL and AHL over the past five or so years. They're not going to stick players in the Class-A Central Hockey League if they can avoid it - especially if it has ridiculous travel after the CHL loses more teams this offseason.

AceFace905 03-11-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyEddie20 (Post 61431929)
Even the Leafs, one of the worst organizations in the NHL, wouldn't stick their Class-AA players in a Class-A league. They've managed to develop a number of regular NHL players through the ECHL and AHL over the past five or so years. They're not going to stick players in the Class-A Central Hockey League if they can avoid it - especially if it has ridiculous travel after the CHL loses more teams this offseason.

Actually, the CHL is still AA--the CHL cap is $11,000/wk, a pinch lower than the ECHL's $12,400, but about double the SPHL's $5,600 and F:help:L's $5,050. In fact, the Avs use the Cutthroats as their sole AA affiliate.

CrazyEddie20 03-11-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceFace905 (Post 61453935)
Actually, the CHL is still AA--the CHL cap is $11,000/wk, a pinch lower than the ECHL's $12,400, but about double the SPHL's $5,600 and F:help:L's $5,050. In fact, the Avs use the Cutthroats as their sole AA affiliate.

It's Class-AA in salary cap numbers only. The quality of play is way lower than the ECHL. There's a reason only the Avs have an affiliation in that league...

No Fun Shogun 03-11-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForsbergForever (Post 61302959)
So with Bloomington and Quad City on the verge of folding, that leaves the expansion St. Charles as the closest team at 1, 219 Km (11h 40 min) away. How is that even logistically possible?

Don't worry.... if the CHL's clearly not worried about reality, why should the rest of us fret over it?

mk80 03-12-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyEddie20 (Post 61460525)
It's Class-AA in salary cap numbers only. The quality of play is way lower than the ECHL. There's a reason only the Avs have an affiliation in that league...

Actually I don't think that is true...

Having seen both ECHL and CHL games, I would say they level play is pretty much on par, if not the ECHL is just a tad better, but not by much. If you look at the rosters of ECHL and CHL teams, you will see pretty much the same player history.

ECHL players are mostly guys out of college, and juniors, their are prospects, and some guys on cusp of the AHL.

CHL players, also lots of players out of college, and juniors, thier are former prospects, and I believe there is a handful of former AHL players. The CHL has also helped developed players and sent them to higher levels. David Schlemko (PHX) played a full year with the Arizona Sundogs back in 07-08 the next year he made the AHL, then the NHL, actually during this past lockout he went back to the Sundogs for 14 games.

Every year the CHL has plenty of guys called up to the CHL, and ECHL. Plenty of players jump between the CHL and ECHL year to year.

And affiliations while they are not common do exsist in the CHL
Denver Cutthroats= Avalanche, Allen Americans= Dallas Stars, Missouri Mavericks= Chicago Wolves, Arizona Sundogs= Pheonix

Both Pheonix and Dallas are affiliated with ECHL teams as well. And I'm not really sure about how many Sundogs players advance, I know that I've heard of plenty of Americans players move up, this year I know the Cutthroats and Mavericks have been sending and recieving players from thier respective affiliates.

And lastly the quality of play is just as exciting as the ECHL. There might be a slight edge in the ECHL but the CHL is just as good in my opinion. The biggest problem the CHL has is the stability of its franchises.

JeffNYI 03-12-2013 08:55 PM

It's all about recruiting, and the players mostly prefer to go to the ECHL if possible.

Ergo, the ECHL's quality of hockey is superior to the CHL's.

While I'm not a professional hockey scout, I believe ALL of the CHL's top players could play in and contribute in the ECHL.. and all of the ECHL's top players would be top players in the CHL..

Meanwhile, there are probably zero players in the ECHL who would look out of place in the CHL - however there are plenty of players in the CHL who couldn't make ECHL rosters.

There definitely is a talent gap... and it's created by the players themselves, who look toward the ECHL first before the CHL.. (granted, this is a generalization and there are exceptions)

Cyclones Rock 03-13-2013 03:02 AM

Fort Wayne carried over a large number of players (their best ones) from their CHL Champion team last season and will not make the playoffs.

Evansville finished 4rth in the CHL last season. They'll likely finish 22nd out of 23 teams in the ECHL this season.

Jackets Woodchuck 03-14-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat (Post 58516407)
Nah, not games. If we did that...Dayton, Bloomington and QC would have folded faster than they did....(Well QC hasn't yet but they should soon)

Dayton folded? I must've missed that.

EDIT: Oh, you meant the Gems. I thought you said the Demonz had folded already. :o

Jackets Woodchuck 03-14-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock (Post 61563751)
Evansville finished 4rth in the CHL last season. They'll likely finish 22nd out of 23 teams in the ECHL this season.

Saw them play the Toledo Walleye. Wasn't even close (7-1 Walleye, IIRC).

Jackets Woodchuck 03-14-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyEddie20 (Post 61460525)

And look how badly their AHL affiliate has fared since the NHL season restarted (lack of AA depth).

I'll have to look, but it's possible that the Monsters have filled more vacancies with PTOs than with AA callups of guys under Avs minor league contracts.

Jackets Woodchuck 03-14-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackets Woodchuck (Post 61639675)
And look how badly their AHL affiliate has fared since the NHL season restarted (lack of AA depth).

I'll have to look, but it's possible that the Monsters have filled more vacancies with PTOs than with AA callups of guys under Avs minor league contracts.

Slightly more callups, 12 to 11.

However, IIRC, some (or even many) of the PTOs were from the CHL.