HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The AHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   The AHL 2012-13 "Silly Season" Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1331453)

HansH 01-23-2013 11:49 PM

The AHL 2012-13 "Silly Season" Thread
 
Figured I'd get what little discussion there is/might be about relocation activities into one thread.

So, the one story that started to intrigue me for this off-season on the AHL level was the "Aeros out of Houston?" one that got posted over on the affiliations thread:
http://blog.chron.com/hockeystop/201...os-in-houston/

But as I read that one and did a bit more digging, and found the following:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/187613091.html

The thing is... neither of these articles actually source any reason for doom and gloom or "outlook grim" -- they just state that the next lease hasn't been finalized. It is true that if there can't be an agreement come to, then the Aeros would have to look elsewhere, but that's just typical negotiating talk, from where I sit. I wouldn't say "The Aeros aren't going anywhere", but I think it's been overinflated by reporters trying to generate buzz - or trying to lay groundwork for speculative "NHL to Houston" columns.

Any other AHL Silly-Season related stories out there lurking this season?

Rumblick 01-24-2013 07:13 AM

Now that the Adirondack situation has apparently been resolved for another year, I see a very, very quiet silly season.

RFA 01-24-2013 07:23 PM

Still some rumors floating that MSG is trying to buy the Glens Falls CC and move AHL Rags team in. Isles are also rumored interested still. Those have been going since 2006... There's also a dark horse that is rumored to be from not in the northeast. It's been fun trying to speculate who might be rumored to be interested.... I saw some Calgary personel in the house recently. Obviously not unusal to see scouts/gms at games.

The city of GF does have an escape clause for next year, and I am aware of the leases the other teams have agreed to. So it's not necessary to reply that Bridgeport is in a 20 year lease or whatever or Abbottsford is in a similiar situation.

adsfan 01-24-2013 10:43 PM

Hans, I think the Aeros will move closer to the Wild. Maybe KC.

pelts35.com 01-25-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumblick (Post 58217559)
Now that the Adirondack situation has apparently been resolved for another year, I see a very, very quiet silly season.

It has not been resolved. The city of Glens Falls can still find a tenant and terminate the lease.

Given that the Phantoms are leaving and, again have put a less than stellar product on the ice, I suspect they are doing everything they can to find a team to sign to a deal before the lease termination deadline (IIRC April?).

Aero 75 01-25-2013 05:17 PM

If the Wild and Toyota Center cannot come to a lease agreement to keep the Aeros in Houston, one of the possible locations being mentioned is Sioux Falls, SD, which will have a new arena complete in 2014.

http://visitsiouxfalls.com/planners/...events-center/

However, that does leave some questions about where they would play next season, if that is the way it unfolds. Minneapolis?

will5059 01-27-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFA (Post 58258051)
Still some rumors floating that MSG is trying to buy the Glens Falls CC and move AHL Rags team in. Isles are also rumored interested still. Those have been going since 2006... There's also a dark horse that is rumored to be from not in the northeast. It's been fun trying to speculate who might be rumored to be interested.... I saw some Calgary personel in the house recently. Obviously not unusal to see scouts/gms at games.

The city of GF does have an escape clause for next year, and I am aware of the leases the other teams have agreed to. So it's not necessary to reply that Bridgeport is in a 20 year lease or whatever or Abbottsford is in a similiar situation.

Bridgeport does have 10 yrs remaining on their lease but that doesn't mean the isles can't leave. It only means they can't leave the building empty. If they find another team to honor the rest of the lease they would be free to go. People up in Hartford have been chattering that the word going around up there is that the rangers are trying to move their farm club to bridgeport so it's possible. I don't buy it though because the isles appear to be happy with the location of bridgeport and have dumped a good amount of money into the arena even though they don't own the building (the city of bridgeport own the arena, islanders entertainment books an manages it) anyways to sum it up I find it unlikely the sound tigers move, but it is being rumored, if you count Whale fan chatter as rumors.

HansH 02-01-2013 04:29 PM

I actually went to a couple of games in Hartford in December... this being the last year of MSG's lease with the XL Center has me keeping an eye on them as "portable", but it all depends on what larger play MSG might be making for some other arena's management and the like. Didn't they buy the old Inglewood Forum? NY Rags' farm team in LA's backyard? :)

aparch 02-01-2013 07:21 PM

Hans, to add a twist to Hartford, there is talk that the UConn Huskies will be using the XL Center (Hartford Civic Center) for their home games when they move to Hockey East in a year.

pelts35.com 02-12-2013 12:22 PM

Looks like the Falcons are staying put at least for another year, despite being approached by someone to purchase the franchise...

http://theahl.com/falcons-charitable...formed-p181859

"The owner also mentioned that he was recently approached by a potential buyer of the franchise, but talked about how his establishment of the Springfield Falcons Charitable Foundation served as a reaffirmation of his commitment to maintain ownership of the team and keep the club in the Pioneer Valley."

I have to say that's a bit surprising. The Falcons are one of the top teams in the AHL and attendance is up on average only 149 per game. If putting a 1st place team on the ice isn't going to increase attendance I don't think anything will.

Rumblick 02-13-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 59558517)
If putting a 1st place team on the ice isn't going to increase attendance I don't think anything will.

You've got to rebuild the base. Missing the playoffs 9 straight years, 11 out of 12, and not getting past the first round since 1997 tends to beat people down a bit.

pelts35.com 02-13-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumblick (Post 59626287)
You've got to rebuild the base. Missing the playoffs 9 straight years, 11 out of 12, and not getting past the first round since 1997 tends to beat people down a bit.

Yes, and nothing does that better than winning. If a 1st place team only brings out an additional 149 fans then it isn't just about a losing team.

RFA 02-13-2013 04:10 PM

Tough call, Devils came in and replaced the Rats, who had been at least decent with Carolina and sold more seats. Devils teams have been much worse. I'm not comparing the announced attendances here, seats sold. So new marketing strategies and new faces doing the selling in old markets do work.

I wonder what a possible move of Hartford would do to the crowd in Springfield. They are very close together. I'd also change back to the Indians nickname. The Falcons uniforms and logo up to a couple of years ago looked more like a roller hockey team than something professional. That's an all time classic minor league logo and name.

CHRDANHUTCH 02-13-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFA (Post 59653081)
Tough call, Devils came in and replaced the Rats, who had been at least decent with Carolina and sold more seats. Devils teams have been much worse. I'm not comparing the announced attendances here, seats sold. So new marketing strategies and new faces doing the selling in old markets do work.

I wonder what a possible move of Hartford would do to the crowd in Springfield. They are very close together. I'd also change back to the Indians nickname. The Falcons uniforms and logo up to a couple of years ago looked more like a roller hockey team than something professional. That's an all time classic minor league logo and name.

it's doubtful that the Whale are going anywhere, even if AEG cedes the operation of the arena to Global Spectrum, from the reports I'm hearing is that the 1st option is retaining the Whale as a tenant..... as for Springfield, Landon has to now answer to Charles Pompea, who's the owner in Springfield now, or be replaced much the same way Columbus just jettisoned Scott Howson for Jarmo Kekalainen(who is now the 1st European GM in any NA League.... if Springfield continues on the pace they're currently on, it harkens back to the Indians era, anyway, RFA, if sitting at the top of the Eastern Conference truly means anything....much less battling Binghamton for the overall 1 seed.

Aero 75 02-16-2013 12:06 PM

David Andrews did discuss the challenges with Hartford in his state of the league address during the all-star game in Providence.

His comments concerning a west coast presence in the AHL are interesting, although don't expect anything happening too quickly on that front.

http://chirpsfromcenterice.com/2013/...of-the-league/

adsfan 02-17-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aero 75 (Post 59829099)
David Andrews did discuss the challenges with Hartford in his state of the league address during the all-star game in Providence.

His comments concerning a west coast presence in the AHL are interesting, although don't expect anything happening too quickly on that front.

http://chirpsfromcenterice.com/2013/...of-the-league/

It will take time to move 2 or 3 teams to the West.

2000 posts!!!

paul-laus 02-17-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 59634243)
Yes, and nothing does that better than winning. If a 1st place team only brings out an additional 149 fans then it isn't just about a losing team.

So half a season of quality hockey is supposed to undo the bitterness and resentment of being the doorstep of the league for 12 years? I can't say that I blame Springfield hockey fans for having a "wait and see" attitude on this one. The constant affiliation carousel hasn't helped either for stability. This was once a proud hockey season with the Indians putting together quality teams pretty regulalrly. Indifference and apathy have been culitvated in the Springfield market through sub standard ownership, poor marketing, and NHL clubs making sure that their relationship with this AHL affiliate was about as one-sided as humanly possible. Columbus, Tampa, and Phoenix as NHL affiliates during those teams' "lean years" has led to Springfield being a complete and unmitigated disaster for what seems like an eternity.

CHRDANHUTCH 02-26-2013 12:54 PM

Connecticut stays put, according to Fox CT/Hartford Courant, the Whale or might it be returning to the Wolf*Pack ARE COMMITTED to the XL Center until at least 2016, W/ A 2 YR extension till 2018

HansH 03-01-2013 10:47 AM

http://theahl.com/bulldogs-sign-affi...nsions-p182180

So much for that "Bulldogs to Laval" (or something like that) rumor, at least for three years.

adsfan 03-02-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HansH (Post 60732175)
http://theahl.com/bulldogs-sign-affi...nsions-p182180

So much for that "Bulldogs to Laval" (or something like that) rumor, at least for three years.

Or Hamilton getting an NHL team playing in that 3 year window, i.e. Phoenix.

HansH 03-24-2013 11:37 AM

Has there been word one on the Houston Aeros lease situation lately?

Aero 75 03-24-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HansH (Post 62287057)
Has there been word one on the Houston Aeros lease situation lately?

Rumors, yes. Anything of substance, no.

Both sides are doing a good job at keeping things under wraps.

wildcat48 03-28-2013 03:25 PM

Pirates, Civic Center at a stalemate in lease negotiations
By Chris Roy Published: 28th March 2013


Quote:

PORTLAND – Negotiations on a new lease agreement between the Portland Pirates and Cumberland County Civic Center trustees has reached a pivotal moment, leaving many to wonder if the AHL franchise days are numbered in the city of Portland.
Link>>>>

Frank Booth 03-28-2013 05:07 PM

Question: If the Pirates do indeed move from Portland, then will Hutch have to refrain from calling the AHL "our league"?:sarcasm:

HansH 03-29-2013 05:01 PM

http://www.pjstar.com/rivermen/x1037...en-are-leaving

Posted in another thread, but bringing it here to unify discussions -- so, we have the first domino in the AHL Rivermen leaving... still unclear as to where they're going, whether they're being sold, or any of the other pieces of this moving picture.

Here's a thought -- might the CHL attempt to rush in to attempt to shore up their midwest presence for QC and Bloomington and bridge to their outlier in Brampton?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.