HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Special teams has to be fixed (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1331897)

Victory5 01-24-2013 04:40 PM

Special teams has to be fixed

Looking at the first 3 games, its clear we've got some issues with special teams, and thats probably the understatement of the year....

During 5 v 5 play, the flyers are actually even (2 GF vs 2 GA), but weve been getting blown out of the water whenever we get a man down or man up.

Consider this:

We have given up 10 goals thus far

6 on the power play
2 empty nets
2 5 v 5
and 1 penalty shot (on our PP lol)

Empty nets dont really count, so 6/8 goals we have given up have been when were down a man, at the same time our PP has scored 1/15 times, which is no better than our PK.

PK, i think will come eventually, but our PP is very, very, very predictable. All teams have to do is just pressure Giroux along the half boards and we turn the puck over. Lavi has to come up with something else or we are going to get embarrassed game after game. I dont think its a problem with the players as much as the system itself. Thoughts?

Mgkibbles 01-24-2013 04:52 PM

I think it's a players problem. Literally nobody on the PP, other than the setup man Giroux, has a shot worth using - especially with Foster out.

The PK will take care of itself though, not even worried about that.

toughfighter83* 01-24-2013 05:09 PM

this is a players problem, if it's only giroux with the offense, it's a big problem.

Flyerfan4life 01-24-2013 05:44 PM

empty net goals do factor in..

if we werent doing so crapy there would be no need for a empty net.

the teams crap special teams play has resulted in the empty net due to being out of the game, score wise late..

The Couturier Effect 01-24-2013 05:45 PM

I think it's more of a chemistry problem, but the system is to blame too. That's what you get when you only have 1 week of training camp and no exhibition games.

CootaRoo 01-24-2013 05:48 PM

We are running the umbrella with no legitimately intimidating one-timer from the point on our entire roster. Which is why teams are collapsing on Giroux (leading to him being forced to do crazy saucers just for simple passes back to Kimmo at the top - where, of course, he only catches them 50% of the time).

Sign me up for the "change the strategy" team.

GKJ 01-24-2013 06:04 PM

My biggest issue with the PP is that they signed Foster for it, and then didn't use him. It's pointless if his the second unit is only getting 45 seconds of PP time. You might get 2 chances if you're quick.

CptCannon 01-24-2013 06:54 PM

Last season we had Jagr ready for those one-timers on the right side, now we got Voracek who can't shoot at all. Easy for the PK'ers just to focus on Giroux's side.

BernieParent 01-24-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 58248997)
My biggest issue with the PP is that they signed Foster for it, and then didn't use him. It's pointless if his the second unit is only getting 45 seconds of PP time. You might get 2 chances if you're quick.

"Pointless". Ha! I get it!

FlyingHigh28* 01-25-2013 11:25 AM

Just a slight correction: We've actually given up 3 even strength goals (1 in each of our first three games), not 2 as you stated in the OP.

The Neal goal off the draw versus the Pens was even strength.
The Hodgson goal off the rebound of the Vanek breakaway was even strength.
The Zajac goal to start off the NJ game was even strength.

That being said, the defense has definitely been good at even strength. Now only 3 goals against at even strength through 4 games.