HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Islanders bars in Manhattan? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1331967)

GutchBoring13 01-24-2013 06:08 PM

Islanders bars in Manhattan?

So I go to grad school in New York, and the campus cable system doesn't carry MSG+. Usually, I can find a stream online to watch the games, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a bar where I can watch Islanders games (and preferably, with a number of Islander fans). Any ideas?

Riseonfire 01-24-2013 06:39 PM

I'm signing a lease for an apartment in Astoria next week... I hope someone knows of some. I'm sure once they move to Brooklyn a bar or two will pop up thats really Islanders territory.

Islesfan22 01-24-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riseonfire (Post 58252913)
I'm signing a lease for an apartment in Astoria next week... I hope someone knows of some. I'm sure once they move to Brooklyn a bar or two will pop up thats really Islanders territory.

I used to live in Astoria. Nice place to live but the rent there has gotten crazy expensive. As far a bars go there are no real bars that is Islander country. There used to be during the glory day but that bar is long gone. Sucks that they still don't have Fios in Astoria. My parents still live there so thats how i know.

jdr016 01-24-2013 07:49 PM

Is there even an Islanders bar on Long Island? Lol

Isles Junkie 01-24-2013 08:55 PM

You will not find an Islanders bar in NYC. and like jdr said, you won't really find many on LI either.

Metrostars 01-24-2013 09:13 PM

"if you build it, they will come"... a lot of isles ex-pats in the city... pick a game for a meet-up, and im sure we can get a few bodies down to create an isles bar somewhere in nyc

Bexlyspeed 01-24-2013 09:18 PM

in Astoria there is Mcanns, on dithers blvd and 36th street, its not an islanders bar but they have so many screens they will turn one on for the islanders if you ask

Islesfan22 01-24-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed (Post 58276381)
in Astoria there is Mcanns, on dithers blvd and 36th street, its not an islanders bar but they have so many screens they will turn one on for the islanders if you ask

It's Ditmars blvd not dithers.:)

Bexlyspeed 01-24-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islesfan22 (Post 58276997)
It's Ditmars blvd not dithers.:)

sorry i was speaking 'hood :laugh:

Bones45 01-24-2013 10:06 PM

Crawl before walking--- try and find a hockey bar first. That is a big enough challenge.

Riseonfire 01-24-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed (Post 58276381)

Sweet, thats one subway stop down from where I'll be.

Strummergas 01-24-2013 11:27 PM

I've been thinking about trying to organize a meet-up for Isles fans in the city at this bar in Williamsburg that I know. It's not a Islanders bar or even a sports bar per se, but they do have TV's that always have sports on and the bartenders will put anything on you ask them for. Would anyone be interested in the near future? If the response is good enough, maybe we can make it a monthly thing.

enigmatic 01-25-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strummergas (Post 58290067)
I've been thinking about trying to organize a meet-up for Isles fans in the city at this bar in Williamsburg that I know. It's not a Islanders bar or even a sports bar per se, but they do have TV's that always have sports on and the bartenders will put anything on you ask them for. Would anyone be interested in the near future? If the response is good enough, maybe we can make it a monthly thing.

round 2? las time it was only me and you that showed up ahhaa.....still a good time though....id be down to meet up with ppl

Mavericknyc1980 01-25-2013 05:20 AM

Quote:

What about 4th down in Williamsburg. A great sports bar. Lots of TV's

Bexlyspeed 01-25-2013 06:36 AM

Williamsburg? too many hipsters for my liking:laugh:

Felix Unger 01-25-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

While Williamsburg sounds fine (request: east of Bedford, for all that is holy), wouldn't it be more fitting to find a place in Prospect Heights or up in the North Slope i.e. our future home? :yo:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed
Williamsburg? too many hipsters for my liking

You care who you're seen with? :sarcasm:

Even if it's somewhere else, a couple of us might just wear retro graphic tees and horn-rimmed glasses just to **** you off. :nod: [That said, anyone who wears a fedora in this weather is dumber than Dion Phaneuf.]

Cheers,

Dan-o

Strummergas 01-25-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enigmatic (Post 58296985)
round 2? las time it was only me and you that showed up ahhaa.....still a good time though....id be down to meet up with ppl

Hahaha that's true, and I never told you what happened later on that night! Long story short, I was in a cast for a month!

Strummergas 01-25-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericknyc1980 (Post 58299649)
What about 4th down in Williamsburg. A great sports bar. Lots of TV's

I don't think I know that joint. Where is it?

Strummergas 01-25-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed (Post 58300567)
Williamsburg? too many hipsters for my liking:laugh:

:laugh: Trust me, this place is pretty much hipster-free. That's why I like it so much; just normal people going in for some drinks and some fun.

Metnut 01-25-2013 08:41 AM

We should find a bar near the Barclays Center and start claiming it as our own in advance of the move.

Strummergas 01-25-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan-o16 (Post 58301201)
While Williamsburg sounds fine (request: east of Bedford, for all that is holy), wouldn't it be more fitting to find a place in Prospect Heights or up in the North Slope i.e. our future home? :yo:

Cheers,

Dan-o

That's fine too, Dan-o! I just don't know of many places in that 'hood. You got any recommendations?

Ideally, it would be great if whatever place we chose was easily accessible by subway. Redd's Tavern (the place I had in mind) is pretty much off the Lorimer L and Metropolitan G stops. I used to live a lot closer before I moved up to Greenpoint, but I still go there to meet up with friends to watch games. Here's their Yelp page:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/redds-brooklyn

Riseonfire 01-25-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metnut (Post 58303529)
We should find a bar near the Barclays Center and start claiming it as our own in advance of the move.

I like this idea best. Barclays is gonna be the motherland. Let's find a place across the street or something. Once a month is cool with me.

Felix Unger 01-25-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strummergas (Post 58303565)
That's fine too, Dan-o! I just don't know of many places in that 'hood. You got any recommendations?

Ideally, it would be great if whatever place we chose was easily accessible by subway. Redd's Tavern (the place I had in mind) is pretty much off the Lorimer L and Metropolitan G stops. I used to live a lot closer before I moved up to Greenpoint, but I still go there to meet up with friends to watch games. Here's their Yelp page:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/redds-brooklyn

I also really only know places in your hood.

The obvious place would be Woodwork on Vanderbilt @ Dean. I've only been there once, though, and not to watch hockey. It's big for int'l soccer. We'd probably have to call in advance to see if we could get the game.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/woodwork-brooklyn

I probably can't do school nights. I'm lame like that.

I also did a search and came up with 'Plan B'. And, yeah, I think the name is really fitting. It looks like the kind of place you don't really want to go to, and need to take a pill the next morning.

http://www.planb626.com/

Cheers,

Dan-o

Strummergas 01-25-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan-o16 (Post 58304165)
I also really only know places in your hood.

The obvious place would be Woodwork on Vanderbilt @ Dean. I've only been there once, though, and not to watch hockey. It's big for int'l soccer. We'd probably have to call in advance to see if we could get the game.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/woodwork-brooklyn

I probably can't do school nights. I'm lame like that.

I also did a search and came up with 'Plan B'. And, yeah, I think the name is really fitting. It looks like the kind of place you don't really want to go to, and need to take a pill the next morning.

http://www.planb626.com/

Cheers,

Dan-o

Woodwork would be cool if they were into showing hockey. Plan B looks a bit much though. They also haven't updated their calendar since 2011, so I'm not sure what that means. There might be a couple of places on the Park Slope side of things. There's one place on 5th Ave not too far off of Flatbush that might be decent.

Riseonfire 01-25-2013 09:58 AM

Beer, large televisions and food are all that's required. Closer to the Barclay center the better.