HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The AHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Thoughts on Chuk Kobasew this year? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=133211)

HuskyFlames 03-07-2005 09:44 AM

Thoughts on Chuk Kobasew this year?
 
Chuk seems to have really found his conifdence and the 4th line duties last year really rounded out his game. I am curious what others think (who have seen him) and in general, some of his stats.

- #2 in the AHL for goals scored at 31 goals.
- #1 in the AHL for +/- at +33.
- #1 in AHL for GWG at 10 goals.
- In the 10 top in AHL for total points.

Could be interested to see how he plays next season in the NHL. I think a year off from the NHL was just what he needed to help his development.

Thoughts?

Wondercarrot 03-07-2005 09:46 AM

Ive never liked him as an NHL'er for some reason. I would be surprised if he ends up on anything above the 3rd line in the NHL.

MrMastodonFarm* 03-07-2005 02:50 PM

Doing alot better then most everyone thought he would. He spent alot of time on the lower lines doing the little things that Sutter wanted to teach him to become a complete NHL'er. He lacked some grit and a strong two-way game, Sutter instilled that into him last year and it is paying off in a big way. He seems to have re-gained any goal scoring confidence he might have lost along the way and became the captain of Lowell at the age of 22 in the process. I think he slids comfortable behind Iginla on the Flames right depth chart when the NHL seasons resumes.

Phanuthier* 03-07-2005 03:02 PM

At worst, his AHL season has been encouraging.

Personally (yeah yeah yeah, I know, bias) I see Kobasew's 2003-2004 season as the season where he learns the NHL physical strength and endurance as well as a refined defensive game, and this season as refining his offensive touch.

I think he'll be a good, quiet player who is responsible, consistant 30-goal scorer who comes up when the game is on the line (see; NCAA final four, WJC Team Canada Gold medal game).

Gwyddbwyll 03-07-2005 03:07 PM

Does he happen to play on the same line as Eric Staal?

MrMastodonFarm* 03-07-2005 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll
Does he happen to play on the same line as Eric Staal?

Good players tend to play with good players, is there a point? :amazed:

bleedgreen 03-07-2005 03:21 PM

yep, and their stats match almost exactly. they have fed off each other all season. staal has been above chuck in stats department most of the season - not to hijack the thread, but staal doesnt get enough nods for having a great season. kobesew is a perfect complimentary finisher to staals plays. colin forbes is the other linemate - who is also right up there in the stats. i think forbes does a lot of gritty work, staal sets the table and kobasew finishes very well. if he plays with a good playmaker - he could be a top 6 winger no problem. he has a great touch around the net.
http://www.theahl.com/AHLStatistics0...ngleaders.html
all three are in the top 15.

MrMastodonFarm* 03-07-2005 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedgreen
if he plays with a good playmaker - he could be a top 6 winger no problem. he has a great touch around the net.
.

Yup, exactly. With the Flames Kobasew could end up with Langkow, Reinprecht, or Lombardi (health) all 3 quality set up men. Reinprecht is an amazing passer.

As for Kobasew - Staal - Forbes. You are bang on the money. Forbes is the grinder, Staal is the set up man, Kobasew is the finisher. I can't see anyone faulting Staal or Kobasew for playing well as linemates. Although I am sure someone will try.

Phanuthier* 03-07-2005 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedgreen
yep, and their stats match almost exactly. they have fed off each other all season. staal has been above chuck in stats department most of the season - not to hijack the thread, but staal doesnt get enough nods for having a great season. kobesew is a perfect complimentary finisher to staals plays. colin forbes is the other linemate - who is also right up there in the stats. i think forbes does a lot of gritty work, staal sets the table and kobasew finishes very well. if he plays with a good playmaker - he could be a top 6 winger no problem. he has a great touch around the net.
http://www.theahl.com/AHLStatistics0...ngleaders.html
all three are in the top 15.

Did you by any chance happen to catch the last issue of THN? There was a good article there abotu Kobasew's season in the AHL.

As their coach and many others following the teams said, Kobasew was their leader in every aspect of the game, "go-to-guy" and captain, and for good reason too.

bleedgreen 03-07-2005 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Did you by any chance happen to catch the last issue of THN? There was a good article there abotu Kobasew's season in the AHL.

As their coach and many others following the teams said, Kobasew was their leader in every aspect of the game, "go-to-guy" and captain, and for good reason too.

a good compliment and most assuredly accurate - im not argueing. but do you actually think that his success this season isnt at all a result from having one of the top centers in the league on his line? while i havent caught the recent thn (let my subscription go with the lockout), i did get to see them play live this year. there is no doubt about it, any success the three of them have had should be shared by all three. imo, forbes has had the biggest impact on the others. his work ethic has without a doubt fed into the other two pushing themselves. forbes has a job in carolina when this is over, imo. despite what the article says, im sure the first thing out of chucks mouth would be "well, i couldnt have done much without my linemates".

Phanuthier* 03-07-2005 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedgreen
a good compliment and most assuredly accurate - im not argueing. but do you actually think that his success this season isnt at all a result from having one of the top centers in the league on his line?

I haven't seen a Lowell play this year, no.

Any info I get is from reports from Lowel on a Flames message board and THN.

Since I dont' get the oppertunity to see Kobasew play (with university and everything) I'm relying on THN's info.

Do I think Kobasew's success is independent of his linemates and independent of Staal? No, certainly not. However, I don't think his success is directly (or only) because Staal is his center which seems to be what's being insinuated - at least going by the THN report on Kobaswe and Lowell, it seems as though Kobasew is getting the stats and raves he is because of his play. If anything, juding by comments made in that edition of THN and comments from the Lowell coach, I'm sure a strong enough argument could have been made that Staal benifits more from playing with Kobasew then Kobasew is playing with Staal.

bleedgreen 03-07-2005 04:08 PM

what i said in my previous post is, that both have probably benefitted from forbes presence. imo, probably more than either one has benefitted from each other. didnt chuck go straight pro from his draft year? i would think he would have a leg up in the leadership department, and i would hope it would rub off on staal. what im saying is, if staal hadnt been playing with him, the offense wouldnt be close to what it is, and no one would be writing articles about his substantial development in thn. his leadership and intangibles would be growing, but were already there so no one would really notice - his point totals booming in unison with his leadership is making him look much better this year. that part is no doubt a partnership with staal. i was never taking anything away from chuck, just saying that the two have obviously benefitted from each other as well as forbes. would this article have been written if his linemates were bayda and zigomanis? i dont think so.

Phanuthier* 03-07-2005 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedgreen
what i said in my previous post is, that both have probably benefitted from forbes presence. imo, probably more than either one has benefitted from each other. didnt chuck go straight pro from his draft year? i would think he would have a leg up in the leadership department, and i would hope it would rub off on staal. what im saying is, if staal hadnt been playing with him, the offense wouldnt be close to what it is, and no one would be writing articles about his substantial development in thn. his leadership and intangibles would be growing, but were already there so no one would really notice - his point totals booming in unison with his leadership is making him look much better this year. that part is no doubt a partnership with staal. i was never taking anything away from chuck, just saying that the two have obviously benefitted from each other as well as forbes. would this article have been written if his linemates were bayda and zigomanis? i dont think so.

Fair enough.

No, Kobasew didn't go straight pro after going drafted. He was drafted in the NCAA, then went to the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL, then at 20 played a year in the AHL with the Saint John Flames before playing in Calgary full-time last season.

bleedgreen 03-07-2005 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Fair enough.

No, Kobasew didn't go straight pro after going drafted. He was drafted in the NCAA, then went to the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL, then at 20 played a year in the AHL with the Saint John Flames before playing in Calgary full-time last season.

thanks for the correction, which i think still makes the point - kobasew has 2 or three years of experience on staal, his experience in the nhl as well as the ahl should make him the leader of the two. staal could learn a thing or two about finishing from chuck - as staal is not much of a finisher yet. back on the original point, i think chuck is a legit top 6 winger in the nhl - just needs a good center to put up points. if he doesnt get a good center to work with, he may be a 3rd liner....but a very good one.

MrMastodonFarm* 03-07-2005 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedgreen
thanks for the correction, which i think still makes the point - kobasew has 2 or three years of experience on staal, his experience in the nhl as well as the ahl should make him the leader of the two. .

No one is taking anything away from Staal because Kobasew is the leader, clearly Kobasew is older. But no one is talking about Staal. Kobasew is the captain of a team in the 2nd best hockey leauge in the world. That speaks volumes about him, I don't think you should take it as a shot against Staal because Kobasew is the captain.

Staal is an amazing franchise prospect, no one is saying anything differet, this was a topic for Chuck Kobasew however.

bleedgreen 03-07-2005 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
No one is taking anything away from Staal because Kobasew is the leader, clearly Kobasew is older. But no one is talking about Staal. Kobasew is the captain of a team in the 2nd best hockey leauge in the world. That speaks volumes about him, I don't think you should take it as a shot against Staal because Kobasew is the captain.

Staal is an amazing franchise prospect, no one is saying anything differet, this was a topic for Chuck Kobasew however.

i agree, and in my original post i said i didnt want to hijack -i apologize that it did. i said repeatedly im not taking anything away from chuck, and i agree he is a great prospect. just i wouldnt make a staal ahl success thread without mentioning kobasew... and forbes. wouldnt be right - for they all have helped each other. never took it as a shot against staal, ill say it again, i hope chuck rubs off on him.

Gwyddbwyll 03-07-2005 04:43 PM

I wasnt insinuating anything, just asking a question. I looked at the lineup and Staal is up there.

If Staal is Kobasew's centre then it's an important factor to mention IMO.

It is still impressive they have obviously worked hard and found success. It bodes very well for next year.

SneakerPimp82 03-07-2005 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
No one is taking anything away from Staal because Kobasew is the leader, clearly Kobasew is older. But no one is talking about Staal. Kobasew is the captain of a team in the 2nd best hockey leauge in the world. That speaks volumes about him, I don't think you should take it as a shot against Staal because Kobasew is the captain.

Staal is an amazing franchise prospect, no one is saying anything differet, this was a topic for Chuck Kobasew however.

the ahl isn't the second best hockey league in the world, but i digress. kobasew = yay!

Phanuthier* 03-07-2005 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedgreen
i think chuck is a legit top 6 winger in the nhl - just needs a good center to put up points. if he doesnt get a good center to work with, he may be a 3rd liner....but a very good one.

Kobasew likely would benefit more from a good playmaker (since Kobasew's forte is finding open ice to score and get chances) but I think Kobasew could still be a good regular top 6er with a crappy center.

I'm hoping that Kobasew gets set up with Langkow or Reinprecht, personally, and but it seems ilke Sutter wants to front load the first line with Langkow, Reinprecht and Iginla.

VanIslander 03-07-2005 08:02 PM

Chuk who?

Gwyddbwyll 03-09-2005 06:56 AM

I am betting that Langkow wont click with Iginla. I see Iginla as a very similar player to Doan (obviously a better scorer). Langkow and Doan never really found any chemistry in several years together.

Calgary should try and recreate the line Phoenix had with Langkow (the Homer line, one of their best ever scoring lines: Nagy-Langkow-M.Johnson). Ironically I think Saprykin would have been a great fit. Perhaps a line like Gelinas-Langkow-Donovan would work well.

ryz 03-09-2005 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll
I am betting that Langkow wont click with Iginla. I see Iginla as a very similar player to Doan (obviously a better scorer). Langkow and Doan never really found any chemistry in several years together.

I could be wrong, but didn't the 2 play together in Kamloops in the WHL? They won memorial cups and WJC together. I think this pairing might be pretty damn good!

Flames Draft Watcher 03-09-2005 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll
I am betting that Langkow wont click with Iginla. I see Iginla as a very similar player to Doan (obviously a better scorer). Langkow and Doan never really found any chemistry in several years together.

Calgary should try and recreate the line Phoenix had with Langkow (the Homer line, one of their best ever scoring lines: Nagy-Langkow-M.Johnson). Ironically I think Saprykin would have been a great fit. Perhaps a line like Gelinas-Langkow-Donovan would work well.

Well we certainly have a few options if Langkow doesn't click. Both Reinprecht and Lombardi have shown good chemistry with Iginla in the past.

There's certainly a chance Gelinas has played his last game as a Flame given that he's now an UFA.

Reinprecht-Langkow-Kobasew
or
Nilson-Langkow-Kobasew
or
Simon-Langkow-Kobasew

would be some possibilites if Langkow doesn't end up on the Iginla line. I think Donovan would be a waste on that line, he doesn't have the offensive creativity to be on a scoring line IMO. He is a one man breakaway generator however, I think he fits in great on our 3rd line.

Gwyddbwyll 03-09-2005 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryz
I could be wrong, but didn't the 2 play together in Kamloops in the WHL? They won memorial cups and WJC together. I think this pairing might be pretty damn good!

Langkow and Iginla? Or are you thinking of Doan and Iginla perhaps? Langkow played for Tri City, the two RWs played for Kamloops.

Wondercarrot 03-09-2005 02:27 PM

Quote:

I think he'll be a good, quiet player who is responsible, consistant 30-goal scorer who comes up when the game is on the line
you do realize that only 20 players in the league scored 30 or more goals last year right?
He MAY score 20 on a consistent basis but i would be suprised if hits 30 even once let alone be one of the premier wingers in the league.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.