HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Saad - Where's the fit? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1332457)

BobbyJet 01-25-2013 08:16 AM

Saad - Where's the fit?

Iím trying to figure the best fit for Saad in this league. Heís definitely improved his game from last year and heís only going to get stronger as he matures. I think if he puts his mind to it, he can become a very good top 6 power forward in this league. Did he play the power forward role in Junior hockey?

I know itís too early to say this but if thatís not about to happen, I think he may not score much in this league hence is destined to be a solid 3rd liner. At least thatís the impression I am getting. Of course, as some have said, once he gets one goal, he could blossom. Thoughts?

zytz 01-25-2013 08:20 AM

too early to call- however if he can hang in the top six now, I'm willing to bet hell usually be playing top six. the scoring will come.

TorMenT 01-25-2013 08:21 AM

Saad has great effort and seems to be fitting in on the first line very well. I didn't see the game last night, so I can't comment on that, though. I think the first goal is the hardest, and once he gets a few, he will really take off and excel with Toews and Hossa on his line.

Cullksinikers 01-25-2013 08:22 AM

Top-six left wing for a long time. He will only get better with time and continuing to play with guys like Toews and Hossa. His hockey IQ and awareness are very, very high. Just give it some time and he will by a dynamite winger.

Illinihockey 01-25-2013 09:13 AM

I hope he stays in his role when Carcillo comes back. Carcillo is a nice player to have, but he's much more effective throwing his body around and skating hard on the 3rd or 4th line than trying to be a playmaker on one of the top 2 lines.

IU Hawks fan 01-25-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinihockey (Post 58304795)
I hope he stays in his role when Carcillo comes back. Carcillo is a nice player to have, but he's much more effective throwing his body around and skating hard on the 3rd or 4th line than trying to be a playmaker on one of the top 2 lines.

Yeah, I really liked using Carcillo as a fill in when we didn't really have 6 top 6ers, but at this point there is no reason for Saad to not be among those.

Sevanston 01-25-2013 09:32 AM

Saad should stay in the top 6.

He doesn't have any points yet, but he's far from dead weight up there.

Carcillo would be a clear downgrade for that role.

massivegoonery 01-25-2013 10:20 AM

Top line wing.

crazyhawk 01-25-2013 10:22 AM

I'm pleasantly surprised with Saad so far. I really thought he was more hype than the real thing.
He looks like he belongs ... can't wait till he gets his first goal .. came close last night! Maybe Columbus!

Illinihockey 01-25-2013 10:32 AM

Saad looks much faster than he did last year. I think the points are going to come

Kurtosis 01-25-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhawk (Post 58308209)
I'm pleasantly surprised with Saad so far. I really thought he was more hype than the real thing.
He looks like he belongs ... can't wait till he gets his first goal .. came close last night! Maybe Columbus!

Like others have intimated, once he gets his first I think the floodgates open. The kid has so much savvy and presence; he is going to be a special player.

HawksTillDeath 01-25-2013 10:43 AM

hes fast, extremely responsible defensively, passes well and he is working hard

right now he still isn't always make the right play (dump in, etc) but that will come with experience

IMO he needs to stay with the team and hes due for a breakout game

- the tip against STL almost went in
- yesterday he had the rebound that almost beat the goalie

hes going to explode soon

16Gamer 01-25-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cullksinikers (Post 58302929)
Top-six left wing for a long time. He will only get better with time and continuing to play with guys like Toews and Hossa. His hockey IQ and awareness are very, very high. Just give it some time and he will by a dynamite winger.

This will improve his game faster than anything else IMHO. So far, he looks like he belongs where he is playing and will continue to improve with more ice time.

GGGHawks18 01-25-2013 12:03 PM

As people have said, the first goal I feel like is the hardest. The kid is 20 years old and playing on a line with Hossa and Toews AND doesn't look out of place at all.

He has great speed, plays great in his own end, taking a hit to make a play, right now he's doing ALL the little things right and that's fine right now with how much scoring we have. That said, once he gets his first goal, sky's the limit with this kid.

Honestly, if he continues to develop, I would compare him to Hossa.

Just asking, what was everyone's reactions when we drafted Saad?

massivegoonery 01-25-2013 12:12 PM

I was ecstatic, followed him since he was on the USNTDP and always loved his game.

Kurtosis 01-25-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GGGHawks18 (Post 58314141)
As people have said, the first goal I feel like is the hardest. The kid is 20 years old and playing on a line with Hossa and Toews AND doesn't look out of place at all.

He has great speed, plays great in his own end, taking a hit to make a play, right now he's doing ALL the little things right and that's fine right now with how much scoring we have. That said, once he gets his first goal, sky's the limit with this kid.

I actually liken him more to Ladd as some other posters have already pointed out (I do think his offensive upside is higher though).

As far as my reaction to when we drafted him...I thought he was the steal of the draft and still believe that now. I think him and TT are going to be cornerstones of this team for the next decade and cannot believe the Hawks drafted both at the positions that they were in.

WarriorofTime 01-25-2013 12:27 PM

I like him with toews and hossa from what I've seen so far. Not dead weight at all. He just needs to keep working on his game and hell convert on the chances he's been helping create.

Sevanston 01-25-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

He was rumored to be a mid-late first rounder, and we picked him up in the mid-second. I thought it was a great pick, but I had my doubts about his consistency.

Then I learned about his groin injury in his draft year. Then I saw how he played in prospect camp. After that, it was pretty clear he would be awesome, and he's been exactly that.

Illinihockey 01-25-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

People were very excited. I remember people clamoring for him when our pick came up.

HawksFan74 01-25-2013 01:02 PM

Like I said in the other thread, I feel like Stalberg probably should be in the top 6 but that sends Saad to the 3rd line. Probably not the best move for his development. I was thinking they should switch it up last night in the 3rd when they needed that goal but it all worked out.

Sarava 01-25-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

I remember I absolutely did not want him in the first round. His game had fallen off in the 2nd half of that year (turns out it was a groin, eh?). But when we picked him at #43 I was ecstatic...that' s a gamble well worth taking. As I recall from the draft GDT we had going, everyone liked that pick.

KyleJRM 01-25-2013 01:31 PM

His combination of size and reach has been fantastic. Throw in his speed and knack for finding open ice, and he's done a fantastic job of helping his line maintain puck control.

AFAICT, he's done everything he needs to do to create points. Sometimes the puck just doesn't go in for a stretch. He's won pucks, made good passes, taken good shots. Not worried about his offensive abilities at all.

Just from what I've seen in these four games, I'm having trouble not gushing over him. He's been everything you could want out of a winger. As others have said, I just keep seeing a slightly more athletic version of Ladd when he plays.

Bubba88 01-25-2013 03:10 PM

Saad keeps it simple this year. Doesn't want to make mistakes and learn the game at that level. Will be even better next year and as early as the end of this season.

EbonyRaptor 01-25-2013 04:07 PM

2014/15 lineup:

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Teravainen-Kane
Danault-Bolland-Stalberg
K.Hayes-McNeill-J.Hayes

massivegoonery 01-25-2013 04:21 PM

Meh, doubt it's worth giving Bolland what he's going to want on his next deal if he's playing on the third line. Especially with T+K coming due the next year.