HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   N. Korea Thread - Korean War back on? (Post #254) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1332575)

Eazy T 01-25-2013 10:53 AM

N. Korea Thread - Korean War back on? (Post #254)

http://www.secretsofthefed.com/wp-co...6ef-147492.jpg

According to USA Today
N. Korea threatens South if it supports U.N. sanctions

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...logue/1863701/

Discuss...

PricePkPatch 01-25-2013 11:11 AM

The solution is simple.

SK votes "no" to the sanctions, everybody else votes "yes".

Sanctions pass. Blackmail fails.

Johnny LaRue 01-25-2013 11:13 AM

I don't think North Korea would do much. If North Korea attacks Seoul, South Korea and the US would respond with heavier attacks almost instantly. I don't know how crazy Kim Jong-Un is, but he won't push for a big assault.

PricePkPatch 01-25-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue (Post 58311339)
I don't think North Korea would do much. If North Korea attacks Seoul, South Korea and the US would respond with heavier attacks almost instantly. I don't know how crazy Kim Jong-Un is, but he won't push for a big assault.

Probably as crazy as his father. Which means "not".

The danger isn't necessarily him being crazy or not, the danger is in how much he controls his regime at the moment. Does he needs to make a show of force to calm some dissenting factions?

Sevanston 01-25-2013 11:29 AM

North Korea is making empty threats and they know it.

Literally one toe out of line and South Korea (perpetual war), the US (SK allies), and China (don't want the US any closer than they need to be) all come bearing down them.

There's a lot of propaganda amongst the citizens, but make no mistake, the military class is well aware of the fact that they're all bark and no bite.

PricePkPatch 01-25-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevanston (Post 58312233)

Literally one toe out of line and South Korea (perpetual war), the US (SK allies), and China (don't want the US any closer than they need to be) all come bearing down them.

There's a lot of propaganda amongst the citizens, but make no mistake, the military class is well aware of the fact that they're all bark and no bite.

China doesn't want anything to happen to the NK regime. The last thing they want is an inflow of refugees crossing the border seeking shelter, food and employment in China.

Puck 01-25-2013 12:05 PM

The worrisome part with North Korea is that the son recently changed many of the old guard with new faces. The newbies might feel like they have something to prove, to show how tough they are.

Blackhawkswincup 01-25-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

North Korea military cant win a war

But it can set South Korea back 40 years economically ,, Seoul will be devasted in early minutes of any conflict

I dont trust NK leadership to take a long or rational viewpoint on military disparity... They will throw away millions of lives if they think they can hurt the South/US enough

Eisen 01-25-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 58314239)
The worrisome part with North Korea is that the son recently changed many of the old guard with new faces. The newbies might feel like they have something to prove, to show how tough they are.

They will proof how tough they are by barking loudly and then have the same hand of steel on their interior affairs and suppress and falsify information . As usual. They don't need to prove their own people anything, they control what they know.

Eisen 01-25-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup (Post 58315457)

But it can set South Korea back 40 years economically ,, Seoul will be devasted in early minutes of any conflict

I dont trust NK leadership to take a long or rational viewpoint on military disparity... They will throw away millions of lives if they think they can hurt the South/US enough

and that's what I doubt.

No Fun Shogun 01-25-2013 12:36 PM

North Korea's bark is bigger than their bite. Just pontificating over nothing.

Concordski 01-25-2013 12:36 PM

A war with North Korea would have been more productive than one in Iraq, not that I'm saying we should go to war with North Korea.

thestonedkoala 01-25-2013 03:07 PM

Japan would also be in the line of fire. If NK is really that desperate, it could destroy the Eastern Market and cause a major economical meltdown.

Concordski 01-25-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo (Post 58324357)
Japan would also be in the line of fire. If NK is really that desperate, it could destroy the Eastern Market and cause a major economical meltdown.

NK don't care, it does what it wants.

Blackhawkswincup 01-25-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel (Post 58324665)
NK don't care, it does what it wants.

And that is what makes NK so dangerous

Even the Chinese have grown weary of the regime in recent years and no longer exerts extensive influence like in past

Bird Law 01-25-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel (Post 58315675)
A war with North Korea would have been more productive than one in Iraq, not that I'm saying we should go to war with North Korea.

Agreed.

Blackhawkswincup 01-25-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel (Post 58315675)

In longrun = Yep

But it would have been hard to rally any support internationally nor get the South to agree to open hostilities

South knows the damage from North will ruin there economy (And if NK uses Chemical/Nuke/Bio weapons it will be even worse)

thestonedkoala 01-26-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 58325963)
Agreed.

Productive in what way? It would push the global economy to a depression, cost millions if not tens of millions of lives, and would leave three countries in the process of rebuilding.

PSUCapsFan 01-26-2013 12:32 AM

Call the bluff. They won't do anything. The only reason that regime is still around is because the Chinese don't want any more democracy on their borders.

Bird Law 01-26-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo (Post 58367583)
Productive in what way? It would push the global economy to a depression, cost millions if not tens of millions of lives, and would leave three countries in the process of rebuilding.

How can it? He brought up a hypothetical that we should've went to war with them instead of Iraq. I agreed with him. North Korea is an actual threat unlike Iraq.

thestonedkoala 01-26-2013 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 58368231)
How can it? He brought up a hypothetical that we should've went to war with them instead of Iraq. I agreed with him. North Korea is an actual threat unlike Iraq.

We shouldn't have gone to war with any country. North Korea would have been more devastating.

PricePkPatch 01-26-2013 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 58368231)

NK is no threat to the US. From what ass do you pull that out of?

ChicagoBlues 01-26-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Exactly! Empty threats is all they have. They must want something. They whine like the little babies they are when they are in deep internal trouble, which is pretty much all the time. They whine and we give them food and cash.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup (Post 58315457)

It is my understanding that there are tens of thousands of artillery pieces (many are WWII relics captured from the Americans and ROKs as they retreated to the 38th parallel area.

It is also my understanding that most these artillery pieces cannot reach even the outskirts of Seoul. Seoul is a little too far away at 35 miles from the border.

They do have multiple launch rocket systems that can reach Seoul. How many of these they have and how much ammunition they have is unknown.

ChicagoBlues 01-26-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup (Post 58339773)
In longrun = Yep

But it would have been hard to rally any support internationally nor get the South to agree to open hostilities

South knows the damage from North will ruin there economy (And if NK uses Chemical/Nuke/Bio weapons it will be even worse)

Especially when the SKs know they have relatives up north. Families have been split apart by the war and the 38th parallel.

A couple of good documentary films on NK are Seoul Train and Camp 14.

Bird Law 01-26-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 58371623)
NK is no threat to the US. From what ass do you pull that out of?

They are much more of a threat to the US than Iraq is. NK actually has weapons grade nuclear material and rockets that somewhat function. They are also a constant threat to our ally South Korea. But I guess you don't follow the news or anything at all. It's pretty clear if you think they offer no threat to the US at all. Is the threat distant? Sure. But it certainly is there and they are a country that has been willing to flex their military muscle, unlike Iraq.

Iraq was nothing. Nothing more than an oil/power grab. Toppling North Korea at least would have done something of merit. That's a country that should've been invaded by a "coalition of the willing" ages ago.