HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Speculation: The One Kadri Discussion Thread. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1332655)

BigWilly 01-25-2013 12:33 PM

The One Kadri Discussion Thread.
 
Yes I know it is only 4 games into the season, and Kadri's production could fall off of a cliff.. Bud I wanted to know what you guys are expecting of him this year, and for years to come. I'm making this thread because his upside is very unclear to me. I want to know your opinions on how you think he compares to current and past prospects at a similar age so far, and what you think this kid can do in the show this year and for year to come.

I'm aware there are similar threads, but I wanted this one to be as current as possible, without half of it just being boneheaded quotes from before this season had began.

ChesapeakeRipper 01-25-2013 12:35 PM

i think this might be his breakout season. everyone has ***** on kadri up to this point, calling him a bust, hopefully he can prove his critics wrong.

Pi 01-25-2013 12:35 PM

With the way he's started, I'm expecting a break out season with about 35 points, eventually working his way up to the #1PP unit and 2nd line minutes.

35 points is about 60 points in 82 games. I don't think that unreasonable to ask given how well Kadri can produce offense.

Clark4Ever 01-25-2013 12:36 PM

A budding star? Probably not.

An emerging second line centre? Yes.

Lebanese Leaf 01-25-2013 12:40 PM

My best case scenario is Kadri stepping up to the #1C role, with Bozak sliding down to become one of the best 3Cs in the NHL and the Leafs squeaking into the playoffs. My hope is that Kadri will grow into that role and become the legit #1 C this team has been looking for beside Kessel. The offensive upside is there, and with the progress he's made on defense, I can see him improving enough to fulfill the responsibilities of this role.

I know making playoffs will mean we get a mid-round pick instead of a lottery pick, but IMO if Kadri steps up this gives us a chance to draft a high upside prospect who we can take our time on because our NHL C situation is strong.

Anyways, just my $0.02.

leafspring* 01-25-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVReemer (Post 58315515)
Yes I know it is only 4 games into the season, and Kadri's production could fall off of a cliff.. Bud I wanted to know what you guys are expecting of him this year, and for years to come. I'm making this thread because his upside is very unclear to me. I want to know your opinions on how you think he compares to current and past prospects at a similar age so far, and what you think this kid can do in the show this year and for year to come.

I'm aware there are similar threads, but I wanted this one to be as current as possible, without half of it just being boneheaded quotes from before this season had began.

He has lots of developement left to take care of,but he's no slouch.

BigWilly 01-25-2013 12:40 PM

My personal opinion is that he has the opportunity to prove that he is more offensively capable than Grabo this year and leading into next season we see the two getting almost even ice time. I feel as though Kadri's max upside is a 1B centreman, spending a couple season's flirting with 70 points while being okay at draws and decent defensively.

Kingstonian84* 01-25-2013 12:41 PM

I think 4 games is FAR too soon to deem him a potential star, way too soon actually. I was never this huge Kadri fan, always thought he was just "eh", but he is winning me over and its not just his play on the ice either. Kadri impressed me with his off ice attiude, he wasn't coming off immature in the press but more motivated in winning a roster spot. Kadris play on the ice has been amazing, he's much faster and stronger on the puck, he's playing a defensive/physical game and yet he's still making things happen in the offensive zone too. Now, keep in mind this is only 4 games in, lets see how Kadri can play for the remainder before making labels on his potential.

BigWilly 01-25-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 (Post 58315941)
I think 4 games is FAR too soon to deem him a potential star, way too soon actually. I was never this huge Kadri fan, always thought he was just "eh", but he is winning me over and its not just his play on the ice either. Kadri impressed me with his off ice attiude, he wasn't coming off immature in the press but more motivated in winning a roster spot. Kadris play on the ice has been amazing, he's much faster and stronger on the puck, he's playing a defensive/physical game and yet he's still making things happen in the offensive zone too. Now, keep in mind this is only 4 games in, lets see how Kadri can play for the remainder before making labels on his potential.

If you took the time to read the OP, you would see neither of these two things were done. If you are just trying to make a point, than I apologize however.

Sokil 01-25-2013 12:47 PM

give it the full season. he's starting off good but it's far too early. this is like calling up a kid for the Jays, he bats 600 for a few games, and everyone starts shouting all star

lets see how he is over a stretch and things average out

htpwn 01-25-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVReemer (Post 58315515)
Yes I know it is only 4 games into the season, and Kadri's production could fall off of a cliff.. Bud I wanted to know what you guys are expecting of him this year, and for years to come. I'm making this thread because his upside is very unclear to me. I want to know your opinions on how you think he compares to current and past prospects at a similar age so far, and what you think this kid can do in the show this year and for year to come.

I'm aware there are similar threads, but I wanted this one to be as current as possible, without half of it just being boneheaded quotes from before this season had began.

There's your answer right there.

... but I really do hope so. Not just because him becoming a top 6 centre would solve so many issues with this team, rather for the example he would provide going forward. A player that the organization took its time with, developed slowly, tried to shield from the relentless criticism hurled his way. Not every good player makes the NHL by age 20 and the sooner many in this city recognize that, the better.

zeke 01-25-2013 12:50 PM

yes.

leafspring* 01-25-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 (Post 58315941)
I think 4 games is FAR too soon to deem him a potential star, way too soon actually. I was never this huge Kadri fan, always thought he was just "eh", but he is winning me over and its not just his play on the ice either. Kadri impressed me with his off ice attiude, he wasn't coming off immature in the press but more motivated in winning a roster spot. Kadris play on the ice has been amazing, he's much faster and stronger on the puck, he's playing a defensive/physical game and yet he's still making things happen in the offensive zone too. Now, keep in mind this is only 4 games in, lets see how Kadri can play for the remainder before making labels on his potential.

He's been playin this way for a good year now. Its not new,and he will be hard for the bashers to sh! t on any more.

BigWilly 01-25-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htpwn (Post 58316319)
There's your answer right there.

... but I really do hope so. Not just because him becoming a top 6 centre would solve so many issues with this team, rather for the example he would provide going forward. A player that the organization took its time with, developed slowly, tried to shield from the relentless criticism hurled his way. Not every good player makes the NHL by age 20 and the sooner many in this city recognize that, the better.

That wasn't the point of this thread, I'm basically asking what his upside is, and how soon you think he will reach this upside. Please don't comment if all you did was read the title.. It adds nothing to the debate/conversation.

mashedpotato 01-25-2013 01:00 PM

Remember when he was criticized for being fat and we were packing his bags for Vancouver?

Good times....

Blaylock38 01-25-2013 01:04 PM

He reminds me of a young Dougie Gilmour, he may be considered small, but aggravating, very creative, very heady with puck, and things seem to happen when he is on the ice. I haven't felt since Sundin.

Ari91 01-25-2013 01:12 PM

Small sample size but he's showing good things and if he's capable of doing those things, then the concern isn't whether he 'can' but whether he can 'consistently'. He still has elements to his game that he needs to improve on but hopefully experience in the NHL will help him in the areas he's lacking.

I want him to succeed and not just because he's a Leaf, but moreso because the kid has got swagger and grit. From the first year he didn't make the team, the kid was a bust and he's improved every year since then. He has a 'I won't let you get the best of me' attitude and I absolutely love it. There aren't enough players around where people say "you'll never amount to anything good/great" and they respond with a "**** you, just watch me". I want Kadri to be one of those players.

Hockey Crazy 01-25-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaylock38 (Post 58317051)
He reminds me of a young Dougie Gilmour, he may be considered small, but aggravating, very creative, very heady with puck, and things seem to happen when he is on the ice. I haven't felt since Sundin.

Gilmour, Sundin and Kadri in the same sentence... hmm...

He has 5 points in 4 games. It's very good, but he lacks the size to be a legitimate #1 C for Kessel.

Bomber0104 01-25-2013 01:14 PM

A potential 2nd line player

Buddio 01-25-2013 01:14 PM

Stop it right now.

Pi 01-25-2013 01:15 PM

I see Kadri as a less talented Marc Savard.

Both lacked the size, they both have great playmaking abilities, now Kadri is finally playing center.

I don't think Kadri will be as good offensively as Savard but I think they're comparable in playing style.

pooleboy 01-25-2013 01:18 PM

i think his upside is #1 center but in reality he is going to be a 60 point 2nd line player. but im saying he has a chance to become that #1.

htpwn 01-25-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVReemer (Post 58316695)
That wasn't the point of this thread, I'm basically asking what his upside is, and how soon you think he will reach this upside. Please don't comment if all you did was read the title.. It adds nothing to the debate/conversation.

And I answered your question, just perhaps not in the way you would have liked.

I said I view him as a potential top 6 centre. 1B/2A to be specific.

When or if he reaches his upside? That is solely up to him. He's made great strides since being drafted three years ago and seems to be off to a good start to his NHL career. Could be as early as this season or as late as never.

caribouPINE 01-25-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi (Post 58317639)
I see Kadri as a less talented Marc Savard.

Both lacked the size, they both have great playmaking abilities, now Kadri is finally playing center.

I don't think Kadri will be as good offensively as Savard but I think they're comparable in playing style.


I actually don't think they are that comparable in playing style. Kadri is a lot more finesse. A lot more of a "dangler" with the puck. The nice little saucer type passes and "cut to the center of the ice" type of guy. Savard was more speedy- St. Louis-esque and had unreal vision. Kadri is has a little bit of a bite to his game.

I see Kadri as more of a Mike Ribeiro type.

Raging Bull 01-25-2013 01:24 PM

He reminds me of Daniel Briere, a bit more chippy though. I honestly can't think of a great comparison for him, players with his skill set aren't usually as pesty and physical as him, unless they are much bigger.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.