HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Simon Despres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1332701)

mwalluk 01-25-2013 01:42 PM

Simon Despres

Quote:

Hearing a lot of rumblings about the Penguins looking for a winger. Nothing close yet, but know that D Simon Despres can be had for the right price. Question becomes is that price a veteran winger with a short-term future or if the scouting staff has identified the next James Neal and now GM Ray Shero is set on trying to bring said player to Pittsburgh.

Keep in mind:

Shero has twice (Ryan Whitney, 2009; Alex Goligoski, 2011) traded young defensemen for long-term fit wingers (Chris Kunitz, Neal). Each time he has made that move before the trade deadline, and in February.

LINK

EDIT: I know it's ROSSI, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on what Despres could land?

Captain Hook 01-25-2013 01:48 PM

It's Rob Rossi speculating so I'd take that with a grain of salt at best.

The Pens do need a winger and have a glut of D-Man prospects to trade but that's stating the obvious.

No idea what's available.

Crafton 01-25-2013 01:48 PM

OP went full Rossi. Never go full Rossi.

domaug* 01-25-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwalluk (Post 58319327)
Thoughts?

Which top six wingers are available?

i'm hoping someone good enough will be available, because even though Despres is looking rough around the edges so far, he's only 21 and still has quite a bit of potential.

in other words, if they're looking to move Despres (who, in my opinion, has a slightly higher ceiling than Goligoski and Whitney did), i hope they make it pay off.

Alklha 01-25-2013 01:52 PM

Thoughts on the story? Complete nothing story. Every player on the roster can be had "at the right price", the Penguins have been looking for wingers for ages and Després is just the obvious name to pull out.

Not like the story has any inside sources.

Jules Winnfield 01-25-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Hook (Post 58319671)
It's Rob Rossi speculating so I'd take that with a grain of salt at best.

Agreed. I wouldn't even trust Rossi to talk about scarfs and we all know he's fond of them. Eklund has more credibility by far than Rossi. Also, I think part of the locker room quit talking to him last year if I remember right because the organization was miffed at him over something.

mwalluk 01-25-2013 01:53 PM

Blues: Despres+
Pens: Matt D'Agostini and Chris Stewart

Pigs On The Wing 01-25-2013 01:54 PM

I highly doubt Despres is on the block. Anyone is available for the 'right price'. And Rossi is about on Eklund's level of credibility when it comes to trade speculation.

mwalluk 01-25-2013 01:54 PM

I meant what's the value of Despres, what could he net?

LetangBrassard23 01-25-2013 02:12 PM

Personally, I'd prefer to keep Despres. Of all the Pens D prospects, I'd trade one of Pouliot or Morrow before Despres. I know that sounds crazy, but I think it would be a mistake to trade him. Despres is going to be great for the Pens for years to come. I can also see that Despres/Letang pairing being stellar in time, when Despres is ready for that role.

I can see why Shero would move him though. He's playing NHL minutes already, young, loads of potential. That could get a good long term fit for Sid. IMO, he would have to be part of a package to do it. He's not as proven as Whitney and Goligoski were at the time of their trades. I'm not sure we could squeeze a winger + for him like those two did.

Who would even be available?

Scimitars of Drizzt 09-09-2013 07:17 PM

Anyone know if Despres will start the season this year with Pittsburgh? And how would people compare him to Tyson Barrie?

TheHudlinator 09-09-2013 07:23 PM

If Jones finds his game (20+ goals) it might work if Calgary held onto cap but I thought Pitt was going to use all of its cheap defensemen to stay under the cap the next few years.

Analyzer 09-09-2013 07:27 PM

Despres is RFA at the end of the year and will likely get a raise. So, he may not be as cheap as one would think.

haterbehatin 09-09-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwalluk (Post 58319975)
Blues: Despres+
Pens: Matt D'Agostini and Chris Stewart

Did they get D'Agostini back? Not sure they've soured on Stewart to send him away for a D man they don't particularly need.

Edit nevermind didnt see someone revived a long dead topic.

Vokouna Maattata 09-09-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scimitars of Drizzt (Post 70950305)
Anyone know if Despres will start the season this year with Pittsburgh? And how would people compare him to Tyson Barrie?

Yes, he is slotted in as the #5 D along Bortuzzo. Barrie is a different kind of player, he's more of an offensive oriented 2-way D, while Despres is a defensive oriented 2-way D. They are probably on the same level right now. Both are young #4 D.

Vokouna Maattata 09-09-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 70950719)
Despres is RFA at the end of the year and will likely get a raise. So, he may not be as cheap as one would think.

He will probably be getting a bridge contract worth around $2 million per. He will still be cheap.

Riptide 09-09-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scimitars of Drizzt (Post 70950305)

Pens have 8 D on NHL contracts who would all have to clear waivers to go to the minors (I'm fairly certain that Despres would have to clear this year). I can't see Despres being the odd man out. More likely Shero looks to move Niskanen or Orpik for cap relief (Pens are already over by ~1.1m). Even if Despres can go to the minors, sending him there still doesn't get the Pens under the cap.

Scuds, Letang, Martin, Orpik, Niskanen, Bortuzzo, Despres, Engelland

Vokouna Maattata 09-09-2013 07:45 PM

The Pens would be looking for the next Neal in any deal involving Despres. Also, it's possible that if Despres makes big leaps next year (as in goes from a #4 to a #2), it opens up the possibility of moving Letang. I doubt they would do that tbh.

Realistically, if you want Despres, it's going to take a W like Neal that is at a similar point in development as Despres is (so like a 21 year old 3rd line scorer that has the potential to become a top-line winger). So someone like Tarasenko except with a lower ceiling (Tarasenko is way more valuable than Despres).

TheRollingPuck 09-09-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHudlinator (Post 70950527)
If Jones finds his game (20+ goals) it might work if Calgary held onto cap but I thought Pitt was going to use all of its cheap defensemen to stay under the cap the next few years.

I know Jones' contract makes him take unwarranted criticism, but no... If Shero was to trade Despres (and possibly other assets) for a winger, it would have to be a player better than him.

TheHudlinator 09-09-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Holt (Post 70955249)
I know Jones' contract makes him take unwarranted criticism, but no... If Shero was to trade Despres (and possibly other assets) for a winger, it would have to be a player better than him.

I don't know if he could get more than 20+ goal scorer.

Malkinstheman 09-09-2013 09:13 PM

If we were to trade despres id want a power forward coming back. Hopefully someone who can take kunitz spot in the next 2 years.

PensRedwings2887 09-09-2013 11:58 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if we trade Orpik/Niskanen for draft picks, and possibly either buy out Tanner Glass or send him to the minors.

Vatican Roulette 09-10-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malkinstheman (Post 70955435)
If we were to trade despres id want a power forward coming back. Hopefully someone who can take kunitz spot in the next 2 years.

Despres for Tangradi?

:help:

bleedblue1223 09-10-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haterbehatin (Post 70950725)
Did they get D'Agostini back? Not sure they've soured on Stewart to send him away for a D man they don't particularly need.

Edit nevermind didnt see someone revived a long dead topic.

Check the date on that post. That was made before we got Bouwmeester.

Dylonus 09-10-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riptide (Post 70951301)
Pens have 8 D on NHL contracts who would all have to clear waivers to go to the minors (I'm fairly certain that Despres would have to clear this year). I can't see Despres being the odd man out. More likely Shero looks to move Niskanen or Orpik for cap relief (Pens are already over by ~1.1m). Even if Despres can go to the minors, sending him there still doesn't get the Pens under the cap.

Scuds, Letang, Martin, Orpik, Niskanen, Bortuzzo, Despres, Engelland

Engelland would clearly be the odd man out. Bortuzzo is Engelland; but much better. Not to mention Despres has come into his own in a physical manor.