HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Pittsburgh, which one irritates you more...? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1333091)

Shockmaster 01-25-2013 09:49 PM

Pittsburgh, which one irritates you more...?
 
"We didn't get to our game"

or

"The standard is the standard."

The Tang 01-25-2013 09:51 PM

I'll go with the first, because we never seem to get to our game anymore...

#66 01-25-2013 10:04 PM

Everything and anything with this system irritates me. Everythings go go go... shoot shoot shoot... How about a system thats based around puck management, poise or actually controling pucks? How about a system that actually doesn't let MAF/ Vokoun go side to side so much? How about a system that doesn't let every transitional pass get picked off?

In the end I'm sick of seeing a team with Crosby and Malkin play dumbed down hustle hockey.

Bennett Brauer 01-25-2013 10:07 PM

Oh definitely the first one, we hear that EVERY SINGLE TIME WE LOSE! Like, why don't you be a little more intelligent and explain what you did wrong and try to fix it? I was watching WPXI Wednesday night and Crosby said "we didn't get to our game", I rolled my eyes, walked away from the TV and said "whatever"

Hockeygod66 01-25-2013 10:08 PM

They are both equally pathetic.

Shockmaster 01-25-2013 10:12 PM

The Penguins need to get to their game because the standard is the standard.

KIRK 01-25-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shockmaster (Post 58358699)
"We didn't get to our game"

or

"The standard is the standard."

The parallel doesn't extend only to the cliches. It extends also to two organizations who's fortunes have turned as the structure and discipline of the previous coaching regime becomes a more and more distant memory.

#66 01-25-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIRK (Post 58360245)
The parallel doesn't extend only to the cliches. It extends also to two organizations who's fortunes have turned as the structure and discipline of the previous coaching regime becomes a more and more distant memory.

I'll toss this out there...

Is it all on DB? We do know who's team this is and how he likes things.

Shockmaster 01-25-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIRK (Post 58360245)
The parallel doesn't extend only to the cliches. It extends also to two organizations who's fortunes have turned as the structure and discipline of the previous coaching regime becomes a more and more distant memory.

True. Although for the Penguins, Mario and Ron don't meddle in hockey operations, where as Art II is turning into Jerry Jones Jr.

KIRK 01-25-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #66 (Post 58360405)
I'll toss this out there...

Is it all on DB? We do know who's team this is and how he likes things.

A lot of it is on DB. I don't know what is on Shero.

KIRK 01-25-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shockmaster (Post 58360415)
True. Although for the Penguins, Mario and Ron don't meddle in hockey operations, where as Art II is turning into Jerry Jones Jr.

Perhaps it's time to meddle, like 2008 (the Hossa trade) and 2009 (the Therrien firing).

Go read Andrew Conte's book. There's a part in there about how Pens ownership and brass had a meeting in early January 2009 about what had been a month long full-fledged tail spin.

Burkle asked Shero point blank what his plan was to right the ship: Trades, coaching change, etc? Shero had no plans in place. He was, as always, looking for a trade, and he didn't have any preliminary plans with respect to a prospective coaching change.

#66 01-25-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIRK (Post 58360851)
A lot of it is on DB. I don't know what is on Shero.

I wasn't talking about Shero. This blahzay attitudes been around Penguin hockey longer than him.

Shockmaster 01-25-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIRK (Post 58361019)
Perhaps it's time to meddle, like 2008 (the Hossa trade) and 2009 (the Therrien firing).

Go read Andrew Conte's book. There's a part in there about how Pens ownership and brass had a meeting in early January 2009 about what had been a month long full-fledged tail spin.

Burkle asked Shero point blank what his plan was to right the ship: Trades, coaching change, etc? Shero had no plans in place. He was, as always, looking for a trade, and he didn't have any preliminary plans with respect to a prospective coaching change.

I think good owners pick the right times to get involved. Like Mario and Ron with the Hossa deal and Therrien firing, or Dan Rooney telling Colbert and Cowher to draft Roethlisberger. On the other hand, you have guys like Jerry Jones that want to be in control of literally everything, and even Art II wants to dictate how the Steelers offense should function. Dan Rooney never told Whisenhunt or Cowher how to run the offense. Mario and Ron aren't going to tell Bylsma how to coach.

However, if Mario and Ron find themselves having to give Shero orders to make deals or orders regarding other aspects of hockey operations, then they need to consider parting ways with him and finding another GM not named Brian Burke.

KIRK 01-25-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shockmaster (Post 58361459)
I think good owners pick the right times to get involved. Like Mario and Ron with the Hossa deal and Therrien firing, or Dan Rooney telling Colbert and Cowher to draft Roethlisberger. On the other hand, you have guys like Jerry Jones that want to be in control of literally everything, and even Art II wants to dictate how the Steelers offense should function. Dan Rooney never told Whisenhunt or Cowher how to run the offense. Mario and Ron aren't going to tell Bylsma how to coach.

However, if Mario and Ron find themselves having to give Shero orders to make deals or orders regarding other aspects of hockey operations, then they need to consider parting ways with him and finding another GM not named Brian Burke.

Shero is naturally cautious, part of the thing that happens when you make your bones as a David Poile protege and during 'building years' for Nashville and Ottawa before that.

Shockmaster 01-26-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIRK (Post 58362749)
Shero is naturally cautious, part of the thing that happens when you make your bones as a David Poile protege and during 'building years' for Nashville and Ottawa before that.

And that's exactly why the Predators haven't been able to take that next step. Poile is too focused on the future and not the here and now. The Penguins are not a team that is building or a team "for the future," they are a win now team. Shero needs to understand that it's okay to trade away a little bit of the future to help the team win now.

bathroomSTAAL 01-26-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #66 (Post 58361283)
I wasn't talking about Shero. This blahzay attitudes been around Penguin hockey longer than him.

Not being a d*** but this is one of the most spectacular misspellings I've ever seen.

It's blasť, for the record.

cassius 01-26-2013 12:39 PM

"Pittsburgh Penguins ice hockey" is by far the worst

Crafton 01-26-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL (Post 58379661)
Not being a d*** but this is one of the most spectacular misspellings I've ever seen.

It's blasť, for the record.

i'm thinking he was making a pun. if not :laugh:

UnderratedBrooks44 01-26-2013 01:29 PM

Get to our game is worse. At least "the standard is the standard" is a mind game that at least has a purpose. It tells backups it's not acceptable to get a chance to play and just mail it in because you're 2nd rate. Still stupid, but at least there's a coach/player dynamic there.

In some ways we've never had an actual system folks. Some of us have been saying this for 2+ seasons. "Dictating the play" and "getting to our game" is not a strategy. That's like a baseball team saying "We want to make sure we hit and throw the ball better than the other team." Okay great, so what happens when the other team doesn't let you do that? We don't have an answer for that question I guess.

Listen, this is a very good team that will make the playoffs and have some sort of chance at a Cup. At the same time as far as coaching goes it's been excuse after excuse for a long time now because of the Cup. Now that it's finally far in the rear view mirror for most people they start complaining about what was almost always there before.

Til the End of Time 01-26-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #66 (Post 58361283)
I wasn't talking about Shero. This blahzay attitudes been around Penguin hockey longer than him.

interesting suggestion, which of course no one would ever be willing to talk about.

bathroomSTAAL 01-26-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton (Post 58384067)
i'm thinking he was making a pun. if not :laugh:

Great now I'll look like even more of a d***. :laugh:

Saving Greiss 01-26-2013 01:48 PM

"They're a really good team, and they took it to us."

td_ice 01-26-2013 01:56 PM

Definitely the first one. Simply for the way it is stated.

When used as "we didn't get to our game".....it is synonymous with a blanket excuse to generalize failure.
The standard thing doesn't bother me at all. I actually like that answer. As in, "yeah, so what if he is backup, we still expect him to play well." As a fan, I expect the same.

SprootsMasterFlex 01-26-2013 09:38 PM

Definitely "We didn't get to our game"

Its the coach's responsibility... and sounds too cliche.

Sivek 01-26-2013 09:41 PM

The standard is the standard, if only because DB doesn't throw out as many cliches as Tomlin.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.