HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What 2013 Prospects do you think are NHL Ready? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1333471)

alphafox 01-26-2013 11:39 AM

What 2013 Prospects do you think are NHL Ready?

I was just looking at some of the game footage/draft profiles of the 2013 prospects and am a little astounded by the number of prospects that I felt would be NHL ready. I think something like 5 guys would be ready to step in immediately (Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov, Lindholm, and Monahan) and maybe more (Drouin, Nichushkin, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Erne).

Who do you guys think could play their way onto an NHL roster in their first year?

jigglysquishy 01-26-2013 11:41 AM

Jones could have played in the NHL this year and succeeded.

Breakfast of Champs 01-26-2013 11:41 AM

Jones and MacKinnon for sure. Not just on talent but physically as well.

will13 01-26-2013 11:42 AM

Mackinnnon, Jones, nichushkin, zadarov

Dr Quincy 01-26-2013 12:13 PM

Nichuskin may or may not be NHL ready, but he's probably not going to be playing in the nhl until the 15-16 season, right?

Dr.Sens(e) 01-26-2013 12:20 PM

There seem to be a higher than average # of guys who just missed last year's draft in the top 20, who will turn 19 in the fall and as such, are typically a bit more developed and physically ready to make the NHL.

It's also easier for forwards to make an earlier debut given it is easier for them to be protected / insulated versus a d-man, so guys like Monahan, Lindholm, Shinkaruk, Mantha and Rychel. I'd bet on Monahan and Lindholm as more than likely to be in the NHL next year, although Lindholm might choose to spend one more year in Sweden. and then guys like MacKinnon, Drouin and Barkov will get looks just based on their elite skill level (even though MacKinnon and Barkov are almost a year younger than the forwards above). And if there was a surprise guy, it might be someone like Ryan Hartman given his two-way play.

On D Jones seems more than likely to be in the NHL. Ristolainen is physically ready. Both of these guys will also be 19 in the fall. Zadorov is physically ready, although you have to think he'll get a few more years to develop.

In the end, I'd guess 4 or 5 make it to the NHL next season, with Jones, MacKinnon, Monahan, Lindholm, Drouin and Barkov the most likely, in order of likelihood.

shello 01-26-2013 09:30 PM

Drouin defiantly isn't ready for the NHL next season, maybe the season after. Don't think it would be the right move to have him play next year no matter how much he'll impress in training camp, and pre season games.

FolignoQuantumLeap 01-26-2013 09:42 PM

Monahan could jump in next year.

StrongIslanders90 01-26-2013 09:47 PM

Sergey Tolchinsky his size is NHLready and hes my
pick behind Jones and Mackinnon to play in the NHL next year...

PricerStopDaPuck 01-26-2013 10:06 PM

Barkov

TheJuxtaposer 01-26-2013 10:18 PM

Jones, Mackinnon, Barkov, and Monahan (in a bottom-6 role, like Couturier). Drouin and Lindholm need another year.

danishh 01-26-2013 10:29 PM

monahan is questionable, really depends on the depth of the team that drafts him.

I personally would like to see him go back, put up a dominant season, and go to the WJC next year.

Scouter 01-27-2013 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shello (Post 58424381)
Drouin defiantly isn't ready for the NHL next season, maybe the season after. Don't think it would be the right move to have him play next year no matter how much he'll impress in training camp, and pre season games.

Really, cause he's getting high consideration right now, he would totally make a weak team.

zjh 01-27-2013 08:49 AM

Also keep in mind that the Salary Cap is going down next year. Younger guys with lower price tags will be a big asset.

Kevin Forbes 01-27-2013 09:14 AM

I think people underrate Drouin's physical frame. The kid put in a lot of work over the summer and it shows. To see him in shorts after practice, his legs look like tree trunks.

Physically, he's near identical in size to MacKinnon. They were both measured at the Top Prospects Game with MacKinnon being listed at 5'11.75 and 182 pounds, while Drouin was listed at 5'10.25 and 186 pounds.

Even if you don't believe that Drouin right now is physically ready for the NHL, if he puts in a summer of training that is anywhere similar to last year's effort, he should be in great shape to compete for an NHL spot.

Tuomaz 01-27-2013 09:24 AM

Barkov,Jones,MacKinnon in that order

GM17* 01-27-2013 09:28 AM

Barkov

Think most of the rest could use another year. MacKinnon's a YOUNG pick. Camps practically opening on his 18th birthday. Drouin's also quite young and raw. Jones is a defenceman, don't like seeing them up early.

call me old fashioned

bottomofthefoodchain 01-27-2013 09:31 AM

Lindholm could possibly be a decent player in the NHL next season, but I hope he stays in the SEL for one more year. It would be best for him imo.

joe89 01-27-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM17 (Post 58445787)
Barkov

Think most of the rest could use another year. MacKinnon's a YOUNG pick. Camps practically opening on his 18th birthday. Drouin's also quite young and raw. Jones is a defenceman, don't like seeing them up early.

call me old fashioned

Speaking of young picks, Barkov is one day younger than MacKinnon.

I personally think all the lottery pick forwards have a shot, they've got either the skill or frame or both. Jones I also think is the type of D to make the jump right away. It'll come down to the team that picks them. There's always different philosophies when it comes to young players.

GM17* 01-27-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe89 (Post 58448079)
Speaking of young picks, Barkov is one day younger than MacKinnon.

I personally think all the lottery pick forwards have a shot, they've got either the skill or frame or both. Jones I also think is the type of D to make the jump right away. It'll come down to the team that picks them. There's always different philosophies when it comes to young players.

Ya but he's been playing with/against men. Absolutely massive advantage. Think that experience is enough to vault him into NHL consideration right away.

Huffman 01-27-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain (Post 58445863)
Lindholm could possibly be a decent player NHL next season, but I hope he stays in the SEL for one more year. It would be best for him imo.

I read an interview with him saying he would play for Brynäs next year, he might not say the same thing after the draft if he's offered a spot in the NHL though. Lindholm is already physically mature but I would like him to stay another year, he is most likely their first line center next year with Jarnkrok gone.

I am the Liquor 01-27-2013 11:08 AM

Seth Jones.

That's it.

thomast 01-27-2013 02:37 PM

Barkov is now pretty darn close to be NHL-ready. After the summer by next october he should be lock for the NHL. I think that Barkov could be 2nd or 3rd line C in his first season playing PK, PP and in all situations.

R S 01-27-2013 02:52 PM

I think there are quite a few that will be close to making the jump. Guys like MacKinnon and Jones are pretty much a lock for me to be in the NHL next year.

Guys like Barkov, Ristolainen and maybe even guys like Lazar and Shinkaruk will get looks, depending on which teams they end up with.

Ryan Pulock is another guy that could be kept up, depending on the situation he's placed in.

Backlund 01-27-2013 02:59 PM

Jones, MacKinnon and Monahan