HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Selling short stories (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1333813)

BackGroundMusic 01-26-2013 08:14 PM

Selling short stories

I have a story that I think is pretty decent and I want to send it out to various magazines to see if I can sell it. I've never submitted any of my stuff to anyone before, but I'm hoping someone can tell me if it's customary to send the story to one place at a time, or do a scattershot approach and see what comes back. I would imagine the second one, but I'd like to hear from someone who has experience.

The Shockmaster 01-26-2013 08:47 PM

Yes, I too would like to know this. I am full of short story ideas, but I want to know the publication methods.

BackGroundMusic 01-26-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheamusFan (Post 58413813)
Yes, I too would like to know this. I am full of short story ideas, but I want to know the publication methods.

Heels never win in the end. #hfwf

octopi 01-26-2013 09:10 PM

I thought a lot of people could self publish online with kindle or a like program and just keep it cheap (99 cents) and you'll probably get a few buys.

https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishi...language=en_US

here ya go. When you're rich, famous and creepy like Stephen King, toss a few bucks my way to thank me for pointing you in the right direction :D

MrFunnyWobbl 01-26-2013 09:48 PM

Interesting avatar, sir.

Hugh Mann* 01-26-2013 09:57 PM

I sold a short story once:

John Stalvern waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were demons in the base. He didn’t see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Cernel Joson were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
John was a space marine for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the spaceships and he said to dad “I want to be on the ships daddy.”
Dad said “No! You will BE KILL BY DEMONS”
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the space station base of the UAC he knew there were demons.
“This is Joson” the radio crackered. “You must fight the demons!”
So John gotted his palsma rifle and blew up the wall.
“HE GOING TO KILL US” said the demons
“I will shoot at him” said the cyberdemon and he fired the rocket missiles. John plasmaed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
“No! I must kill the demons” he shouted
The radio said “No, John. You are the demons”
And then John was a zombie.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod 01-26-2013 10:22 PM

Just post it here.

BackGroundMusic 01-27-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octopi (Post 58415723)
I thought a lot of people could self publish online with kindle or a like program and just keep it cheap (99 cents) and you'll probably get a few buys.

https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishi...language=en_US

here ya go. When you're rich, famous and creepy like Stephen King, toss a few bucks my way to thank me for pointing you in the right direction :D

I've considered it, but part of wanting to sell the story to a mag is to get my name out there a bit for when I finish my first novel, hopefully by summer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFunnyWobbl (Post 58420385)
Interesting avatar, sir.

Do I know you from the SHL?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KesselBuiltMyHotrod (Post 58423685)
Just post it here.

I had considered posting a bit of it here, but I dunno.

De Montreal 01-27-2013 03:03 PM

I need to sell short stories. Better ask The Lounge. :huh:

No hard feelings, but there's people out there much more qualified to give you better tips about that.

Tyskie 01-27-2013 03:45 PM

I'll give you $25 for it.

Ceremony 01-27-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Mann (Post 58421415)

John Stalvern waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were demons in the base. He didn’t see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Cernel Joson were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
John was a space marine for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the spaceships and he said to dad “I want to be on the ships daddy.”
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the space station base of the UAC he knew there were demons.
“I will shoot at him” said the cyberdemon and he fired the rocket missiles. John plasmaed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.

I think you need to be better at proofreading.

FinHockey 01-27-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceremony (Post 58460435)
I think you need to be better at proofreading.

Why? He sold it.

Ceremony 01-27-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinHockey (Post 58460505)
Why? He sold it.

Yes, but surely if you're selling your work you should take some pride in it.

P U L L H A R D 01-27-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Mann (Post 58421415)

I laughed, I cried. :handclap: Bravo, that was the bravest piece of non-fiction I've ever had the honour of digesting mentally. I remember seeing a show about this on the History channel, and your writing captured the very essence of it. :handclap: