HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Wild-Pens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1334069)

TaLoN 01-26-2013 11:23 PM

Wild-Pens

Russo had mentioned it as a possibility in his blog today... and I thought it rather interesting. He said the Penguins are shopping for a RW, and suggested the Wild offer up Devin Setoguchi for D Simon Despres.

From the Wild perspective I say YES!

Penguins perspecticve anyone?

If not good as is, what would be needed to complete it?

EDIT: Here's the link to Russo's mention of it...

From Russo...

Quote:

With Pittsburgh eager to move Chris Kunitz back to a line with Evgeni Malkin and James Neal, the Penguins could be in the market for a right winger to skate with Sidney Crosby and Pascal Dupuis.

One player who could foot the bill? The Wild's Devin Setoguchi. It's unclear if the Penguins are interested, but trading Setoguchi would create a spot for prospects Jason Zucker, Charlie Coyle or Johan Larsson.

The Wild also could use another defenseman and, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune Review, smooth-skating 6-4 defenseman Simon Despres, a 2009 Penguins first-rounder, could be trade bait.

Ugene Malkin 01-26-2013 11:28 PM

That would be an easy yes.

TaLoN 01-26-2013 11:31 PM

Thought as much. This is as much of a win-win proposal as I've seen!

SprootsMasterFlex 01-26-2013 11:33 PM

I would say yes however knowing Shero, he'd probably want Minny to add a little something back given the cap hit & the fact that Seto will be a UFA in 2 years (1.5 if you count this season as half a season).

Personally, I envisioned Niskanen for Setoguchi being an ideal trade for both teams cap wise, age, and you'd get a righthanded shot to play with Suter on the first pairing. Niskanen thrives playing with top-pairing Dmen like Zubov & Letang in a supporting role.

Funny how Niskanen is outscoring Seto thus far. :laugh:

wgknestrick 01-26-2013 11:34 PM

That would probably be a slam dunk from a Pen's perspective. Are you sure you only want Depres for Seto? Seto still has another year left at a decent cap hit.

SprootsMasterFlex 01-26-2013 11:34 PM

On the Pens board, I cam up with the following:

Niskanen for Setoguchi

OR

Despres for a young forward like Coyle or Zucker

SprootsMasterFlex 01-26-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wgknestrick (Post 58433893)
That would probably be a slam dunk from a Pen's perspective. Are you sure you only want Depres for Seto? Seto still has another year left at a decent cap hit.

Seto has a good cap hit but did you see Despres'? Not so sure it would be the Pens adding if you're basing it on cap-hit advantage.

Hans Rutherford 01-26-2013 11:35 PM

I haven't seen Seto play in awhile, but I'm worried he'd just be a slightly better Tyler Kennedy. Not totally opposed to this deal though.

TaLoN 01-26-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex (Post 58433917)
On the Pens board, I cam up with the following:

Niskanen for Setoguchi

OR

Despres for a young forward like Coyle or Zucker

I can tell you, Coyle and Zucker are likely not trade options. Phillips maybe, but neither of those nor Larsson.

Setoguchi would be the Wing on the trade block for the Wild.

SprootsMasterFlex 01-26-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaLoN (Post 58434001)
I can tell you, Coyle and Zucker are likely not trade options. Phillips maybe, but neither of those nor Larsson.

Setoguchi would be the Wing on the trade block for the Wild.

I agree. I just brought up comparisons in terms of addressing both teams needs but balancing out the trades as well.

Minny would still save $$$ if they'd swap Niskanen for Setoguchi, they become UFAs at the same time, and lastly, Nisky is a Minnesota native (not that it means much but it should count for something, LOL).

TaLoN 01-26-2013 11:43 PM

Personally, I don't care where a player is from... whomever can get this team closer to where it wants to be in the long run is more important.

I'm guessing Russo thinks it would be Despres because of his youth, since that is definitely something that has been important to the Wild of late. The Wild are looking VERY GOOD cap-wise moving forward, so if they are taking on more cap in a young player, that wouldn't be terrible by any means.

SinfulCobraZ 01-26-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex (Post 58434287)
I agree. I just brought up comparisons in terms of addressing both teams needs but balancing out the trades as well.

Minny would still save $$$ if they'd swap Niskanen for Setoguchi, they become UFAs at the same time, and lastly, Nisky is a Minnesota native (not that it means much but it should count for something, LOL).

I would much rather do a Despres-Seto swap. Nisky is working out perfectly with Letang and I don't want to break that up. Sure Despres can be better and has the potential to be much more than Nisky, but that doesn't mean we break-up our first pairing.

With that being said, I am not so sure Setoguchi can be much more than Kennedy at this point like GoGiuns8711 said. I am not too familiar with Seto and haven't seen him play much either.

Just by looking at his stats though, I am not too optimistic about Seto. His last good season was in 08-09. Ever since he has declined. Kennedy last year had 33 points in 60 games. Seto had 36 in 69 games. So you can see where I am getting my doubts.

Fel 96 01-26-2013 11:53 PM

Can we package both Seto and T.Mitchell please? They are BFF after all...

The Mitchell signing would become completely useless if Seto was traded alone IMO.

Something like Seto + Mitchell for Despres + 4th?

TheeNorthStar 01-26-2013 11:56 PM

I would do Niskanen for Seto

Depres alone for Seto... ehhhhhh.... eh.

Zucker , Larsson, and Coyle are going nowhere... Like TaLon said, if its any young forward prospect that could get moved it'd be phillips but i wouldnt cash on that either.

bozak911 01-26-2013 11:58 PM

Seto needs to be the secondary threat, not the primary. He is too easy to double team so you will see his numbers dwindle when he's "the" shooter on the line.

If he were on the RW side of a line centered by either Crosby or Malkin... His numbers would skyrocket.

Although, one thing not mentioned is that Seto's BFF, Torrey mitchell, was signed to make Seto happy? Rumor, mostly, but I'd want a package of Seto+Mitchell going to the Penguins.

Despres + ? to even it out with Seto+Mitchell?

Fel 96 01-26-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozak911 (Post 58435241)

I'd be happy with either a 3rd or a 4th.

wgknestrick 01-27-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ (Post 58434885)
I would much rather do a Despres-Seto swap. Nisky is working out perfectly with Letang and I don't want to break that up. Sure Despres can be better and has the potential to be much more than Nisky, but that doesn't mean we break-up our first pairing.

With that being said, I am not so sure Setoguchi can be much more than Kennedy at this point like GoGiuns8711 said. I am not too familiar with Seto and haven't seen him play much either.

Just by looking at his stats though, I am not too optimistic about Seto. His last good season was in 08-09. Ever since he has declined. Kennedy last year had 33 points in 60 games. Seto had 36 in 69 games. So you can see where I am getting my doubts.

Who were his (Seto's) centers since then? I am pretty sure he's been centered by average to warm bodied players (but I admit I don't see much of him on the east coast). He is no better than TK, but it also means the Pens can remove their worst forward, ie Adams or Glass from the lineup. Depth is everything. Replacing Depres is not an issue due to (currently) equal players waiting.

We all agree he'd probably be playing besides a better center in PIT, right?

Fel 96 01-27-2013 12:08 AM

Granlund is currently centering Seto on the second line.

wgknestrick 01-27-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fel 96 (Post 58435745)

Certainly not a warm body (also not enough data to make any conclusions), but who have been his primary centers the last couple years?

SprootsMasterFlex 01-27-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozak911 (Post 58435241)
Seto needs to be the secondary threat, not the primary. He is too easy to double team so you will see his numbers dwindle when he's "the" shooter on the line.

If he were on the RW side of a line centered by either Crosby or Malkin... His numbers would skyrocket.

Although, one thing not mentioned is that Seto's BFF, Torrey mitchell, was signed to make Seto happy? Rumor, mostly, but I'd want a package of Seto+Mitchell going to the Penguins.

If any team would know the Pens' players very well, it would be Minnesota. Fletcher & Yeo are alumni and have very strong ties with Pen's management. Its hard to say who'd they'd want but I wouldn't be surrpised to see Tangradi or most likely Jeffrey get change of scenery.

TaLoN 01-27-2013 12:10 AM

And with Cullen on the other wing, it makes Seto as the supposed scoring threat. Cullen is no threat offensively and Granlund is a playmaker first. Setoguchi as has been mentioned is better when he's a secondary threat, not the primary threat. Playing with Malkin or Crosby, he is automatically the secondary threat which is when he excels.

SinfulCobraZ 01-27-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fel 96 (Post 58435745)

In that case, I am expecting big numbers for both of them this season. Obviously not big as in 80 point season but I wanna see a 60 point season from both of them. Granlund is a beast and with him, Seto should come near a 60 point season. And if he does, then playing with Crosby, add in at least another 10 points and we would find our perfect winger. But for now, I am not convinced he's the winger we need. I would much rather use Despres in a trade for a winger in a tier above him. Obviously we'd add.

SinfulCobraZ 01-27-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex (Post 58435923)
If any team would know the Pens' players very well, it would be Minnesota. Fletcher & Yeo are alumni and have very strong ties with Pen's management. Its hard to say who'd they'd want but I wouldn't be surrpised to see Tangradi or most likely Jeffrey get change of scenery.

I want to see maybe Tangradi + 2nd for Setoguchi. Would that work Minny?

SprootsMasterFlex 01-27-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaLoN (Post 58435927)
And with Cullen on the other wing, it makes Seto as the supposed scoring threat. Cullen is no threat offensively and Granlund is a playmaker first. Setoguchi as has been mentioned is better when he's a secondary threat, not the primary threat. Playing with Malkin or Crosby, he is automatically the secondary threat which is when he excels.

Minny has plenty of young forwards who are ready to join the team like Coyle and Zucker so Seto is definitely expendable for a D. Tehy'd become a threat with Granlund. Given how well Bouchard has been playing, e'll probably take Seto's place I assume.

SprootsMasterFlex 01-27-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ (Post 58436009)
I want to see maybe Tangradi + 2nd for Setoguchi. Would that work Minny?

Actually, I could also imagine Bortuzzo & Tangradi... but not so sure Minny would bite.