HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Worse Trade? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1334087)

WarriorofTime 01-26-2013 11:49 PM

Worse Trade?

Leafs trade 2010 1st (turned out to be 2nd overall, used to take Tyler Seguin), 2011 1st (turned out to be 9th overall, used to take Dougie Hamilton), and 2010 2nd ( turned out to be 32nd overall, used to take Jared Knight) for Phil Kessel

or

Islanders trade the 2nd overall pick in the 2001 Draft (used to take Jason Spezza), 24 year old Zdeno Chara who was unimpressive in his first 231 career NHL games, and Bill Muckalt (4th liner, played one season with Ottawa registering 0 G 8 A in 70 GP).

Seems pretty lopsided against the Yashin trade but at least the Islanders made the Playoffs for three straight seasons after acquiring Yashin.

LatvianTwist 01-26-2013 11:50 PM

2nd easily. Two superstars for a bust.

WalterHeisenberg 01-27-2013 12:59 AM

the isles trade

HappyGilmourr 01-27-2013 01:01 AM

two very good young players for a PPG All star

or

Two franchise players for a bust... hmmm let me think about that.

pdd 01-27-2013 01:04 AM

Kessel trade. Chara was basically a pylon when he was traded; he ended up becoming a much better skater as a Senator, but he was unbalanced and weak on his skates early on.

If you assume the career path the player would have been on with no trade, Boston received the greater package.

ricky0034 01-27-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozak (Post 58437761)

or

Two franchise players for a bust... hmmm let me think about that.n

the Islanders trade will probably turn out considerably worse but posts like this are just ignorant

at the time of a trade Yashin was coming off a 88 point year where he was 11th in the NHL in scoring,the year before that was his holdout,the year before that he had 94 points and was 6th in the NHL in scoring

I Hate Chris Butler 01-27-2013 01:19 AM

Islanders trade was worse.

At least when the Leafs traded for Kessel, he got better.

WarriorofTime 01-27-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

or

Yashin was a multiple time All Star who had a 0.92 career PPG. His production with the Islanders didn't live up to what he was doing in Ottawa but he was a good player in his prime. I dunno why he is considered a bust other than he made a lot of money. He helped the Islanders get to the Playoffs three times which Phil Kessel has failed to do. Consider that the Islanders made the trade to get the team to the playoffs so it was at least successful in that regard.

stlblues9 01-27-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

or

Seguin and Hamilton could very well turn into franchise players.

ottawa* 01-27-2013 01:44 AM

Islanders quite easily tbh

ottawa* 01-27-2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva unit zero (Post 58437871)
Kessel trade. Chara was basically a pylon when he was traded; he ended up becoming a much better skater as a Senator, but he was unbalanced and weak on his skates early on.

If you assume the career path the player would have been on with no trade, Boston received the greater package.

If you look at it this way, then I agree with eva unit zero. But if you look at the trades as of today...the Islanders ****ed up.

giddy up 01-27-2013 03:10 AM

As bad as the Yashin trade looks now, it was very exciting when it happened as an Islander fan. Too bad he couldnt keep up his PPG pace here and Chara and Spezza turned into studs.

Also, just off the top of my head, I think the Islanders had missed the playoffs for like 8 straight years and then once they got Yashin they made it for like 4 out of 5 years. It was nice to be competitive gain.

danishh 01-27-2013 03:40 AM

the yashin trade. You're talking about a trade where a future norris winner was the secondary piece, and the return ended up being the largest buyout in NHL history.

nmbr_24 01-27-2013 06:40 AM

Right now it is the Yashin trade. Yashin's peak, which is exactly when he was traded, was higher than what Kessel has reached so far so it shows how bad that deal was and we have no idea just how good the players Boston got are going to be in 2-3 years so there are a lot of variables still in play for the Kessel deal. It could turn out to be the Kessel deal eventually.

nmbr_24 01-27-2013 06:54 AM

I see a couple of people calling Yashin a bust, Yashin did more in his NHL career than Kessel has done so far, Yashin's first 5 years are superior to Kessel's first 5 years. He wasn't as good after that and was extremely overpaid then, but if Yashin was a bust, he is the only bust to score at a .91 ppg rate. Even in his so called bad years he was over .70 ppg.

Overpaid, unmotivated, lazy, maybe all of those apply, but I don't think "bust" applies here.

Kessel's career so far he is scoring at the rate Yashin did in his worst years, I think calling him a bust is more than a little overboard.

SnowblindNYR 01-27-2013 07:02 AM

I picked the Islanders trade because you can't just go with who got picked. Because who knows maybe he wouldn't have gotten picked by the other team. That really only applies to Hamilton though (because Spezza and Seguin were no brainer picks).

tony d 01-27-2013 07:13 AM

The Islanders trade.

leaflover 01-27-2013 08:31 AM

Have to vote for the trade that cost my team. Hated it then, hate it now, hate it later. :nod:

Machinehead 01-27-2013 08:43 AM

Islanders, easily. Phil Kessel has actually been an excellent pickup for the Leafs. To say the least, he's not getting a buyout anytime soon.

Still not what you would call a good trade for the Leafs, but nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be.

PensBandwagonerNo272 01-27-2013 08:46 AM

In retrospect, the Sens trade is marginally worse.

Considering both trades at the time they were done, the Leafs trade was ridiculously stupid.

Dellstrom 01-27-2013 09:53 AM

Islanders.

Seguin and Hamilton have the potential to become franchise players. However, if Seguin has the offensive upside of Spezza, and Hamilton can completely replace Chara, then I would be absolutely dumbfounded. It's pretty damn unlikely, at least for Dougie. Seguin has a shot.

Plus, there's no denying Kessel is a good player. Yashin is a bust.

State of Hockey 01-27-2013 10:10 AM

Yashin deal. I think it's still relevant to understand that the Maple Leafs didn't know their draft picks would end up 2nd and 9th. The Islanders knew they were trading away a Spezza. Burke didn't know he was trading away Seguin.

Garbage Goal 01-27-2013 10:16 AM

Without the gift or hindsight, it's easily the Leafs by the sound of things. With hindsight, easily the Islanders.

Fire Julien 01-27-2013 01:29 PM

If Yashin wasn't Russian, he wouldn't be shat on like that. He was great.

Izzy 01-27-2013 02:33 PM

Yeah, Yashin was quite a bust. 781 points in 850 games. Such a terrible player.