HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   D Joe Hicketts - Victoria Royals, WHL (2014 undrafted) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1334341)

Scouter 01-27-2013 11:10 AM

D Joe Hicketts - Victoria Royals, WHL (2014 undrafted)
 
Was wondering if you think that Hicketts has the potential to be drafted in the 1st round of the 14' NHL draft?

R S 01-27-2013 11:24 AM

Don't really see it at this point. I don't think he's that far off, though. He's a really skilled point man and plays with a nice edge to his game despite his size.

If he can come to Royals camp next year around 5'10 or 5'11 and 180+ pounds, it will definitely help his chances.

Right now he's 5'8 and under 175, which is damn small.

Scouter 01-27-2013 11:26 AM

Yeah, he's small indeed, and as we all know, if you are going to be a small D man, you better have some serious skills if you are going to make it in the NHL.

arsmaster 01-27-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings (Post 58450073)
Don't really see it at this point. I don't think he's that far off, though. He's a really skilled point man and plays with a nice edge to his game despite his size.

If he can come to Royals camp next year around 5'10 or 5'11 and 180+ pounds, it will definitely help his chances.

Right now he's 5'8 and under 175, which is damn small.

The height has to go up for sure. Not too worried about the weight.

I don`t expect him to be a first rounder, unless his offensive production goes through the roof. I love the way he plays though, doesn`t play 5`8`and he`s got room to grow, probably won`t ever be 6`0". If he was he'd be close to the top 10.

Scouter 01-27-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arsmaster (Post 58450913)
The height has to go up for sure. Not too worried about the weight.

I don`t expect him to be a first rounder, unless his offensive production goes through the roof. I love the way he plays though, doesn`t play 5`8`and he`s got room to grow, probably won`t ever be 6`0". If he was he'd be close to the top 10.

Hold up, 1st you say you don't think he'll be in the 1rd, then you say if he was a bit taller he would contend for the top 10, that's quite the jump/gap, sounds like at least a late 1rd pick to me.

The Oncoming Storm 01-27-2013 02:28 PM

He might be the best defenseman on the Royals, and he's 16 years old. Yes he needs to grow, but his size is less of a limitation because of how big he plays. Doesn't back down from anyone, gains body position effectively on players six inches taller than him, and never seems to be physically mismatched, despite the fact he is physically mismatched on paper.

Does all the little things right, as well as being a very good skater, great first pass, effective on the point etc.

First rounder? Not at 5'8. At 5'11? I think there's definitely a chance.

arsmaster 01-27-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scouter (Post 58451951)
Hold up, 1st you say you don't think he'll be in the 1rd, then you say if he was a bit taller he would contend for the top 10, that's quite the jump/gap, sounds like at least a late 1rd pick to me.

4 inches isn't a bit.

I can't think of one proven NHL defensman under 5'10".

Ryan Ellis is 5'9" but his offensive skill set is incredible, Hicketts isn't there offensively, but skates better by quite a margin.

Handling 6'2" 185lbs boys in junior is a helluva lot different than handling Ryan Getzlaf if you know what I mean.

R S 01-27-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arsmaster (Post 58462563)
4 inches isn't a bit.

I can't think of one proven NHL defensman under 5'10".

Ryan Ellis is 5'9" but his offensive skill set is incredible, Hicketts isn't there offensively, but skates better by quite a margin.

Handling 6'2" 185lbs boys in junior is a helluva lot different than handling Ryan Getzlaf if you know what I mean.

Isn't Enstrom like 5'9?

Ryp37 01-27-2013 03:48 PM

^He's listed at 5'10, pretty sure he uses a longer stick than usual aswell

Hardyvan123 01-27-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Oncoming Storm (Post 58458985)
He might be the best defenseman on the Royals, and he's 16 years old. Yes he needs to grow, but his size is less of a limitation because of how big he plays. Doesn't back down from anyone, gains body position effectively on players six inches taller than him, and never seems to be physically mismatched, despite the fact he is physically mismatched on paper.

Does all the little things right, as well as being a very good skater, great first pass, effective on the point etc.

First rounder? Not at 5'8. At 5'11? I think there's definitely a chance.

Does anyone know how big his parents are, some guys are late in getting their size but at this point unless Joe does he is an outside at top 60 IMO.

He doesn't have a Ryan Ellis or Subban type of skill set to jump up to the 1st round.

I like him a lot but not sure how he will translate to the next level.

Scouter 01-27-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 (Post 58480705)
Does anyone know how big his parents are, some guys are late in getting their size but at this point unless Joe does he is an outside at top 60 IMO.

He doesn't have a Ryan Ellis or Subban type of skill set to jump up to the 1st round.

I like him a lot but not sure how he will translate to the next level.

Why did you mention Subban, he wen't in round 2?

arsmaster 01-27-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 (Post 58480705)
Does anyone know how big his parents are, some guys are late in getting their size but at this point unless Joe does he is an outside at top 60 IMO.

He doesn't have a Ryan Ellis or Subban type of skill set to jump up to the 1st round.

I like him a lot but not sure how he will translate to the next level.

As in Jordan Subban?

If so I'd say Hicketts is a better player.

timw33 01-27-2013 09:41 PM

Really like Hicketts, have been to a dozen Royals games this year and he has really stood out on the back end.

Hardyvan123 01-28-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scouter (Post 58485359)
Why did you mention Subban, he wen't in round 2?

Quote:

Originally Posted by arsmaster (Post 58500591)
As in Jordan Subban?

If so I'd say Hicketts is a better player.

Yes as in Jordan, I used him as an example off the top of my head as a small guy with good offensive production as there aren't many out there at the D position and probably should ahve stuck with just Ellis.

The point was that it's doubtfull that any team is going to spend a pick on a smaller Dman like Hicketts in the 1st round unless there is a huge amount of offensive production and projection.

Maybe he ends up in the 4th round like Kulak went to Calgary in the 12 draft.

Scouter 01-28-2013 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 (Post 58511677)
Yes as in Jordan, I used him as an example off the top of my head as a small guy with good offensive production as there aren't many out there at the D position and probably should ahve stuck with just Ellis.

The point was that it's doubtfull that any team is going to spend a pick on a smaller Dman like Hicketts in the 1st round unless there is a huge amount of offensive production and projection.

Maybe he ends up in the 4th round like Kulak went to Calgary in the 12 draft.

Ryan Murphy is another small D man who wen't in R1.

I was thinking that Tyson Barrie would be more of a comparable than Kulak, Kulak did not really improve after his draft year, I'm thinking that Hicketts will probably be better than Kulak, but maybe not as good as Barrie.

arsmaster 03-11-2013 06:03 PM

http://whl.ca/video/index/id/1363039106


Near the end of the highlights Hicketts quite possibly scored the nicest goal scored in the WHL this year.

-----

Aside from that he and Fransoo kept Portland's top line off the scoresheet all game (they still got their chances), he also did a good job targetting Leipsic with physical play. Stood him up at the blueline all night long.

Skinnyjimmy08 03-11-2013 06:23 PM

waaaaay too small... he will be the type of guy that will be in the league till he finishes his 20 year old eligablity and then possibly sign a free agent contract with a NHL team if he plays well... He will have a good solid WHL career and be the future Captain of the Royals and probably go undrafted through his career. Thats my thoughts

Xav 03-20-2013 05:16 PM

D Joe Hicketts - Victoria Royals, WHL (2015 draft)
 
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=146172

Kid had a huge rookie season for Victoria with 6 goals and 24 points in 67 games.

From what I saw from him he was on the top pairing with Fransoo and looked like an 18 year old out there.

Anyone got insight on him? He's a 2015 right?

Daneurism 03-20-2013 05:17 PM

He's 2014. Also, there may already be a thread on him. Not being a jerk, just letting you know that you may be able to find more info on him within that thread.

arsmaster 03-20-2013 06:00 PM

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1334341

HockeySensible 03-20-2013 06:13 PM

He really impressed me at the All-State Canadians game a year or two ago (whenever it was).

Xav 03-20-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daneurism (Post 62051165)
He's 2014. Also, there may already be a thread on him. Not being a jerk, just letting you know that you may be able to find more info on him within that thread.

My bad, I should have searched. Appreciate you clearing that up though :nod:


Quote:

Originally Posted by arsmaster (Post 62053053)

And there you go...


Cheers guys.

Jamie Benn 03-20-2013 09:32 PM

Excellent player, very small I agree but he has been the Royals most consistent defenseman game in and game out for the Royals this season.

Excellent skater, great at making smart and consistent plays, not the biggest guy obviously but he can play physical at time, great stick work and positioning. Knows when to jump into the play at the right time, sees the game extremely well and has an accurate shot from the blueline. You hope that he grows about 4 inches and if he does (which I doubt) you will be hearing his name that's for sure.

Royal Canuck 08-17-2013 05:39 AM

D Joe Hicketts - Victoria Royals, WHL (2014 undrafted)
 
http://whl.uploads.mrx.ca/victoria/i...cketts5204.jpg

Not enough can be said about this guy. In his rookie season in the WHL, he was the Royals' most consistent offensive producer while maintaining his own on defense. At just 5'8 and 174lbs, he still utilizes his body and doesn't let his opponents take advantage of it. I believe Joe is one of the more "under the radar" prospects headed into the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, and I feel he deserves more attention as a highly touted prospect. He managed 24 points in 67 games on a struggling Victoria Royals' defensive squad, and was really the "diamond in the rough" in the group of defensemen.

I'm extremely excited to see what Joe brings to the table next season in Victoria, his speed, shot and dynamic style of play will compliment his ongoing maturity at the WHL level, and I believe that he could break out to be a 40 point guy next season and be the powerplay quarterback the Royals don't have, (sorry Cote, you're a beauty but you don't quite cut it in the offensive zone). I'd like to see Hicketts pair up with Kanzig next season, even though I find Kanzig to be a big stupid caveman on defense, (can you tell I'm still scratching my head that Calgary took him in the 3rd round?) he accommodates Hicketts' style of play well.

Hopefully Joe has a successful season and his stock improves.

UpGoesRupp 08-17-2013 09:41 AM

I'm just glad Victoria had someone to watch this year. I liked hicketts from from what I saw last season. He's gained experience and can only be better this time around


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.