HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Did the pens miss out on Arnott? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1334427)

Adams27 01-27-2013 02:03 PM

Did the pens miss out on Arnott?

All I am saying here is,the guy still has some game left at 38, back when the pens picked up the services of Bill Guerin everyone had said he was washed up and could not hang with the young guys, but all he managed to do is help us win a cup, Guerins last three seasons in the NHL he scored 23,21,21. Arnott on the the other hand has scored 19,17,17. You put a guy like this on wing with Sid and Duper and im sure he would produce plus leadership. For a paltry 1.6 million I think the pens made a big mistake. It would for sure stop that age old question who is going to play on wing for Sid and Geno.

Sivek 01-27-2013 02:06 PM

Nope, last thing they need is another marginal forward. They need a real upgrade, not another guy that could put up TK/Dupuis/etc levels of production.

Jacob 01-27-2013 02:08 PM

Arnott hasn't looked like a top 6 player in about 2 years.

JTG 01-27-2013 02:09 PM

What center was sitting in favor of Jason Arnott?

Antaris 01-27-2013 02:10 PM

Nope.

cheesedanish87 01-27-2013 02:11 PM

Hes a center who cant skate anymore. Plus pens would have to put DJ or Tangradi on waivers if they signed a forward.

#66 01-27-2013 02:19 PM

I like the idea of a big vet checking center and maybe Sutter on Sids wing but Arnotts time has passed.

Gomez is the guy that might have looked good on Sids wing. He seems like a good team guy and the Pens badly need some speed on the wings.

eXile59 01-27-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YinzerpenguiN (Post 58457619)
All I am saying here is,the guy still has some game left at 38, back when the pens picked up the services of Bill Guerin everyone had said he was washed up and could not hang with the young guys, but all he managed to do is help us win a cup, Guerins last three seasons in the NHL he scored 23,21,21. Arnott on the the other hand has scored 19,17,17. You put a guy like this on wing with Sid and Duper and im sure he would produce plus leadership. For a paltry 1.6 million I think the pens made a big mistake. It would for sure stop that age old question who is going to play on wing for Sid and Geno.

I don't think I've ever seen Arnott play wing. He's a center which isn't a position of need.

Big McLargehuge 01-27-2013 02:59 PM

Arnott is as pure of a center as there is in the league...he wasn't going to switch things up this late in his career.

shureshot66 01-27-2013 03:28 PM

I'm sure plenty of teams were interested in bringing aboard Arnott for a shortened season. The Pens certainly weren't one of them.

Frederick Stanley 01-27-2013 03:33 PM

Title should be: "Did Pens miss out on Gomez?"

I certainly would have taken a shot at him at 700k for one year.

Candyman 01-27-2013 03:36 PM

I have wondered for awhile if the Pens should have signed a verteran winger. I mean thinking back we've had Recchi, Roberts, Guerin, and Sullivan in the Crosby era and we've had success with that. I'm not saying Arnott would have been the answer, but I wouldn't have minded re-signing Sullivan, or trying to find another veteran option.

billybudd 01-27-2013 03:43 PM

No. Too slow. Doesn't really engage these days. Think it's a bad signing for the rangers. They're a little short on team speed compared to the rest of the atlantic and adding Arnott makes that problem worse.

Captain Hook 01-27-2013 03:44 PM

You should be happy it didn't happen considering Bylsma's love for old players. He'd probably scratch Brandon Sutter in favor of Arnott.

billybudd 01-27-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley (Post 58462841)
Title should be: "Did Pens miss out on Gomez?"

I certainly would have taken a shot at him at 700k for one year.

Might have been worth a gamble.

Even if he went goal-less, he could have showed the players and coaches what a breakout's supposed to look like.

SterlingBennett 01-27-2013 03:47 PM

I would have taken a chance on Gomez before Arnott.

JTG 01-27-2013 03:55 PM

I would have wanted Gomez just so I can watch him skate. One of my favorite players growing up because of his skating ability.

Jacob 01-27-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candyman (Post 58463043)
I have wondered for awhile if the Pens should have signed a verteran winger. I mean thinking back we've had Recchi, Roberts, Guerin, and Sullivan in the Crosby era and we've had success with that. I'm not saying Arnott would have been the answer, but I wouldn't have minded re-signing Sullivan, or trying to find another veteran option.

We've had success, but I'm not sure if it's because of those veteran wingers. It might even be in spite of them.

Guerin, Recchi & Roberts were all productive initially but all three tailed off and ended up being more or less detrimental towards the end of their tenures here. Sullivan never gelled with Sid or Geno, was brutal defensively and only seemed to produce offense when he was the best player on his line (usually a 3rd/4th line role).

I think Shero & the coaches have had trouble knowing when to say "when" with these older guys, usually waiting until it's too late.

Le Magnifique 66 01-27-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fictionzero (Post 58463825)
I would have taken a chance on Gomez before Arnott.

Agreed and shows we have pretty much no interest in either

IcedCapp 01-27-2013 06:48 PM

Arnott failed his physical, so I'll go with "no"

Ominous Grey 01-27-2013 06:57 PM

Hehehe. Good for a laugh.

Arnott sucks, as does Gomez.

Jacob 01-27-2013 06:58 PM

Damn, how does that even happen?

I assume NHL physicals are different from the ones Joe Schmo gets. Is there something about a maximum body fat percentage written into pro contracts?

Darth Vitale 01-27-2013 07:00 PM

It's hard to understand how a Pens fan would wonder if we missed out... by not signing an old Center. Yinzer for sure. I'm thinking part-time Penguins fan / bored Steelers fan. :laugh:

Stecz 01-27-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob (Post 58480773)
Damn, how does that even happen?

I assume NHL physicals are different from the ones Joe Schmo gets. Is there something about a maximum body fat percentage written into pro contracts?

It's probably a bad back or a bad knee that the doctor didn't think would be able to handle a season. Anyone know if he had any surgery or anything of that nature?

Candyman 01-27-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob (Post 58465567)
We've had success, but I'm not sure if it's because of those veteran wingers. It might even be in spite of them.

Guerin, Recchi & Roberts were all productive initially but all three tailed off and ended up being more or less detrimental towards the end of their tenures here. Sullivan never gelled with Sid or Geno, was brutal defensively and only seemed to produce offense when he was the best player on his line (usually a 3rd/4th line role).

I think Shero & the coaches have had trouble knowing when to say "when" with these older guys, usually waiting until it's too late.

I don't disagree with you entirely but I do think Recchi, Roberts, and Guerin significantly helped our team as a whole. Sullivan was great on the PP but didn't do much else. I definiately wouldn't say we succeeded in spite of them.