HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Has there ever been a "Bo Jackson" type player in the NHL? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1334683)

Dontdive 01-27-2013 07:05 PM

Has there ever been a "Bo Jackson" type player in the NHL?

Bo Jackson is an anomaly in that he was so good athletically he was able to play both top-level professional baseball and football.

Has there ever been such a person like him who played in the NHL as one of his top-level professional sports? I couldn't find anyone, but maybe I didn't search correctly.

If there hasn't been anyone like that, how likely is it we'll ever get one? My guess is the skill sets required between ice hockey and <insert major sport here> is so different that we likely never will. Unfortunately.

Crumblin Erb Brooks 01-27-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dontdive (Post 58481583)
Bo Jackson is an anomaly in that he was so good athletically he was able to play both top-level professional baseball and football.

Has there ever been such a person like him who played in the NHL as one of his top-level professional sports? I couldn't find anyone, but maybe I didn't search correctly.

If there hasn't been anyone like that, how likely is it we'll ever get one? My guess is the skill sets required between ice hockey and <insert major sport here> is so different that we likely never will. Unfortunately.

Does lacrosse count as a major sport? Didnt Shanny play in a pro lax league during the last lockout?

Alain Racette 01-27-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Not to mention the scheduling! Football and baseball never overlap... unless his baseball team makes the playoffs.

Ogie Goldthorpe 01-27-2013 07:14 PM

It's been a while...

Quote:

Lionel Conacher (May 24, 1902 May 26, 1954), nicknamed "The Big Train", was a Canadian athlete and politician. Voted the country's top athlete of the first half of the 20th century, he won championships in numerous sports. His first passion was football; he was a member of the 1921 Grey Cup champion Toronto Argonauts. He was a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs baseball team that won the International League championship in 1926. In hockey, he won a Memorial Cup in 1920, and the Stanley Cup twice: with the Chicago Black Hawks in 1934 and the Montreal Maroons in 1935. Additionally, he won wrestling, boxing and lacrosse championships during his playing career. He is the only player who has his name on both the Grey Cup and Stanley Cup.

Conacher retired as an athlete in 1937 to enter politics. He won election to the Legislative Assembly of Ontario in 1937, and in 1949 won a seat in the House of Commons.
-wiki

Ceff Jarter 01-27-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Junior hockey lifestyle isn't really conducive to creating "Bo Jackson" type athletes. Although I know several hockey players that chose hockey over competitive golf.

stish 01-27-2013 07:16 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_James

In a short 18-week span of the overlapping 1959 CFL season and 1959–60 NHL season, James became the only player in history to play in the finals for the CFL's Grey Cup (November 28, 1959—won cup) and the NHL's Stanley Cup (first game April 9, 1960—lost cup) in the same season. He joins Lionel Conacher as the only two people to play the finals for both the Grey Cup and Stanley Cup in their careers. (Conacher won the 1921 Grey Cup, then later won the 1934 and 1935 Stanley Cup.)

Bieber fever 01-27-2013 07:18 PM

No one in the NHL has ever been close to have the atheticism of Bo Jackson or Lebron James

ricky0034 01-27-2013 07:21 PM

came here to post Lionel Conacher but I see I was already beaten to it

RogerRoeper* 01-27-2013 07:21 PM

I guess Tom Glavine could have been the first true one.

Eternal Sunshine 01-27-2013 07:21 PM

Matthew Lombardi was/ (is?) really good at football IIRC. Could have maybe made the CFL if he chose to go that route, but he went with hockey. Hazy memory of hearing this on a Flames broadcast one night, someone with more knowledge on the subject may be able to shed light on it.

Sideline 01-27-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bieber fever (Post 58483495)
No one in the NHL has ever been close to have the atheticism of Bo Jackson or Lebron James

Literally three posts above you proves how wrong that statement is....

Kane One 01-27-2013 07:22 PM

Didn't Hal Gill play football? Obviously not professionally.

Eternal Sunshine 01-27-2013 07:24 PM

Also, many NHLers could probably play NLL/MSL/WLA lacrosse if they so desired.

Eisen 01-27-2013 07:26 PM

Vsevolod Bobrov played for the Soviet National Teams in both soccer and hockey

Bad News Bears 01-27-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 58484321)
Didn't Hal Gill play football? Obviously not professionally.

Pretty sure he played QB in college, or maybe just high school.

silkyjohnson50* 01-27-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Correct.

Guys from past generations may have been as athletic in comparison to their peers, but the Bo Jackson's, LeBron James of the world are freaks of nature that have no true comparison. Physically speaking, it's literally not comparable. Sorry historians.

Bieber fever 01-27-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideline (Post 58484261)
Literally three posts above you proves how wrong that statement is....

Lol the guy you talking about is 6'2 195lbs . Nowhere close to Lebron James 6'8 253 lbs. Conacher bio is nice but im not that impressed with playing in the CFL in 1920 lol. Bo jackson played in the NFL as an hobby

kmad 01-27-2013 07:46 PM

It's more difficult for an athlete to be a hockey+other sport crossover success because you need to put so much into hockey to be good at it. Skating doesn't translate to other sports.

TOML 01-27-2013 07:49 PM

Bo knows Wayne Gretzky as one of his ProStars teammates.

TOML

ForzaItalia 01-27-2013 07:51 PM

PhillyBluesFan 01-27-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Chris Pronger laughs at Bo Jackson's and Lebron's athleticism

Hipster Doofus 01-27-2013 07:59 PM

Anders Lee went undrafed because he was so dominant in HS at football that they assumed hes go the NFL route. He turned down D1 offers to play D1 hockey where hes 4in goals and captain of Notre Dome. Also holds state records in various other athletics like speed skating and I think track and field.

Seth Jones is also a freakish athlete. And smart on the ice too.

Tom Glavine was mentioned.

Rick DiPietro was a baseball star also and used to attend Mets training camps. Won a homerun derby one year.

Drury was a LL world Series champ.

Evets 81 01-27-2013 07:59 PM

Nyjer Morgan (a baseball player) played hockey at the major junior level. Didn't make it farther than that, but still played both hockey and baseball. He also took part in a Sharks practice not too long ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The following season, Morgan made the transition from the junior "B" Ice Hawks to the major junior Regina Pats of the Western Hockey League (WHL). In seven games with the Pats during the 19992000 WHL season, Morgan score two goals and recorded twenty penalty minutes.[9] Both of his goals were scored in his first career WHL game, after which he was named the first star of the game.[10] Following his seven games with the Pats, Morgan was released and joined the Prince George Spruce Kings of the BCHL for three games in which he scored one assist and fifteen penalty minutes.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyjer_Morgan

IWantSakicAsMyGM 01-27-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bieber fever (Post 58487817)
Lol the guy you talking about is 6'2 195lbs . Nowhere close to Lebron James 6'8 253 lbs. Conacher bio is nice but im not that impressed with playing in the CFL in 1920 lol. Bo jackson played in the NFL as an hobby

But can Lebron skate? Could he even stand on skate while Chara was trying to move him out from the front of the net?

Lebron is definitely athletic, but his skills really translate to specific sports. I don't foresee him being able to easily play hockey or lacrosse. Baseball is also a stretch. Basketball, yes. Volleyball, yes. Football, maybe - depends greatly on his willingness to take a hit.

Also, as many have said, the time requirements to become a NHL player make it difficult to hone your skills in other sports. And, the NHL runs from October until April (not counting playoffs). What professional sport can you realistically play from May until September?

BROADSTREETBULLY 01-27-2013 08:16 PM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw...y78vo1_400.jpg