HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Niemi putting the puck on the ice after the whistle. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1334771)

Jacques G 01-27-2013 08:32 PM

Niemi putting the puck on the ice after the whistle.

I apologize if this has been brought up a billion times before. I sifted through a few pages and didn't see anything.

So what's the deal with this? Superstition of some kind?

Kitten Mittons 01-27-2013 08:53 PM

Where is he supposed to put it?

Kegsey 01-27-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons (Post 58496595)

I think he means he makes sure he drops it before the linesman tries to take it out of his glove.

Jacques G 01-27-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons (Post 58496595)

I tend to see goal tenders keep it in their glove and hand it to the official. I'm not saying it's a dick move or anything, just different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegsey (Post 58497299)
I think he means he makes sure he drops it before the linesman tries to take it out of his glove.

Yes, exactly.

Kitten Mittons 01-27-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques G (Post 58497465)
I tend to see goal tenders keep it in their glove and hand it to the official. I'm not saying it's a dick move or anything, just different.

Ah, that's what you meant. Yeah I guess it's a superstition. Or he is megalomaniac and likes seeing people bow to him.

SactoShork 01-27-2013 10:27 PM

He has no idea the puck is in his glove.

lsx 01-27-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoShark (Post 58506641)
He has no idea the puck is in his glove.

:laugh:

Squeeven 01-27-2013 11:38 PM

I noticed he does that all the time but I've never really thought much of it. I kinda doubt its a superstition but who knows?

SactoShork 01-27-2013 11:51 PM

I've actually wondered this a lot about defensmen touching up on icing calls.

Some go through insane lengths to hand the referee the puck. Some flip the puck in the air towards the ref. Some shoot the puck down to the faceoff dot.

I guess the question is what the ref prefers, or if the player feels like being courteous. I think Boole and Vlasic shoot it down the ice. And they're two entirely different minds. So I dunno?

WTFetus 01-28-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoShark (Post 58510161)
I guess the question is what the ref prefers, or if the player feels like being courteous. I think Boole and Vlasic shoot it down the ice. And they're two entirely different minds. So I dunno?

Probably depends on the player and how nice they are (we all know Boyle is evil :laugh:). Blake usually took off his glove and bent over to grab the puck to hand it to the ref. Burns usually tries to flick the puck up with his stick onto his glove to hand it over.

Mafoofoo 01-28-2013 12:09 AM

It's because Niemi is the true OG. Other goalies are just suckas.

NWShark* 01-28-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeeven (Post 58509689)
I noticed he does that all the time but I've never really thought much of it. I kinda doubt its a superstition but who knows?

Goalies at all levels are wierdos...

Phu 01-28-2013 01:07 AM

Maybe the idea is to keep the puck as frozen as possible, in case it stays out too long :)

Barrie22 01-28-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWShark (Post 58512319)
Goalies at all levels are wierdos...

yup, he might of did it one game and ended the night with a shutout and never stopped doing it.

roy when skating onto the ice i believe jumped the blue line and center ice line.

brodeur kisses the names of his kids on his helmet.

all goalies tap the posts before a game, and during the game after the puck hits it.

skaters have superstitions to, but the goalies just make it weird lol.

DuckEatinShark 01-28-2013 01:36 AM

Never thought about that. Nabby always held onto the puck until the ref took it from him. Niemi just dumps it toward the faceoff dot. I guess Nabby wanted to feel the puck better with the glove (he always had a good glove hand) while Nemo doesn't like using his glove at all (he doesn't have a good glove hand)

oyster 01-28-2013 04:06 AM

Niemi is exceptionally socially awkward and dishes the puck away to avoid a potential interaction with the officials.

parad0x 01-28-2013 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oyster (Post 58514849)
Niemi is exceptionally socially awkward and dishes the puck away to avoid a potential interaction with the officials.

this. lol.

Gene Parmesan 01-28-2013 06:17 AM

Knowing our Nemo he will do that before its whistled down and put it on somebody's tape for a tap in :laugh:

Sharks7 01-28-2013 12:29 PM

Didn't you know the puck is an evil presence for some, players love to whack it around and taunt them. But Niemi is the protector and it shall not enter the safety and sanctity of his empty net. He does not like the puck, hence he gets rid of it as soon as it safe to.

Wedontneedroads 01-28-2013 12:33 PM

Noticed this right when he first came to the Sharks.

A linesman came over to get it from his glove and he threw it right past him towards the faceoff dot.

Seems to me he just wants to be done with the play and move onto the next one.

I'm sure linesmen know what goalies do with the puck after they freeze it and adjust accordingly.

DarrylshutzSydor 01-28-2013 02:13 PM

former shark goalie Steve Shields used to do the same thing, it comes across as just a laid back move, like: "yeah I made the save, easy enough"

SJGoalie32 01-28-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

You probably said that in jest, but it probably isn't too far from the truth.

I've personally gone through stretches like that as a goaltender myself. I don't like referees messing with my equipment. I don't like it when they touch my glove. If they alter the angle of my equipment by even 1 cm, that could be the difference between a save and a goal. And I especially don't want them talking to me when they don't have to when I'm trying to focus on something else.

So yeah, I've gone through stretches where I will drop the puck on the ice and/or skate away from the puck or kick it towards the faceoff circle so I can avoid talking to the refs......unless I had a specific bone I wanted to pick with them, in which case I'd hold on to the puck until I said my piece.

Goaltending can require a hyper-intense level of focus. Opposing players, teammates, coaches, even officials can disrupt that focus even through just innocuous or even friendly comments. If I'm trying to replay the last sequence in my head and gear up for the next one, even just some linesman skating over to say "Nice save" can interrupt my concentration and get inside my head.....especially if I feel the "nice save" was more luck or the result of poor positioning.

Good goalies need to shut out all the extra noise around them, and that includes the officials. Some go to greater lengths than others to shut out the noise, but every goalie has their own methods.

Some goalies hold on to the puck to get the feel for it in their glove. Some goalies will drop it and skate away to completely clear their mind. And other goalies don't care either way, but will have some other quirky behavior or superstition unique to them and their personality.

Gene Parmesan 01-28-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 (Post 58535255)

I've personally gone through stretches like that as a goaltender myself. I don't like referees messing with my equipment. I don't like it when they touch my glove. If they alter the angle of my equipment by even 1 cm, that could be the difference between a save and a goal. And I especially don't want them talking to me when they don't have to when I'm trying to focus on something else.

So yeah, I've gone through stretches where I will drop the puck on the ice and/or skate away from the puck or kick it towards the faceoff circle so I can avoid talking to the refs......unless I had a specific bone I wanted to pick with them, in which case I'd hold on to the puck until I said my piece.

Goaltending can require a hyper-intense level of focus. Opposing players, teammates, coaches, even officials can disrupt that focus even through just innocuous or even friendly comments. If I'm trying to replay the last sequence in my head and gear up for the next one, even just some linesman skating over to say "Nice save" can interrupt my concentration and get inside my head.....especially if I feel the "nice save" was more luck or the result of poor positioning.

Good goalies need to shut out all the extra noise around them, and that includes the officials. Some go to greater lengths than others to shut out the noise, but every goalie has their own methods.

Some goalies hold on to the puck to get the feel for it in their glove. Some goalies will drop it and skate away to completely clear their mind. And other goalies don't care either way, but will have some other quirky behavior or superstition unique to them and their personality.

Thats interesting insight. Nemo seems to be the type of goalie who prefers to be left alone during the game. Communicates with hand signals as opposed to verbally. Lost in the Sharks dominating start is that Nemo looks awesome.

SoupyFIN 01-28-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

I'll have to lean towards this one. And not to knock on his language skills, he's really awkward even when he's speaking his native Finnish.

Phu 01-28-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 (Post 58535255)

good one, maybe it's his way of "focusing on the next shot" as soon as possible.

maybe it keeps another piece of snow from building up around his crease :)