HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Top 25 Finnish Players Of All-Time - #6 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1335265)

kmad 01-28-2013 01:11 PM

Top 25 Finnish Players Of All-Time - #6
 
1. Teemu Selanne
2. Jari Kurri
3. Saku Koivu
4. Jere Lehtinen
5. Miikka Kiprusoff

Added Pekka Rautakallio and Sami Salo.

ES 01-28-2013 01:33 PM

After four forwards and one goalkeeper, I think it's time for best defenseman. Teppo Numminen was very underrated in his career, mainly thanks to playing in teams which were not too popular. No Finnish hockey fan can forget his interview after lost final in 2006 Olympics, which was very heart-breaking.

Add Christian Ruuttu.

TAnnala 01-28-2013 01:44 PM

Numminen. Rather easy.

Gleb 01-28-2013 02:00 PM

Numminen was underrated and had excellent longevity, but I still chose Tikkanen. He was an outstanding defensive forward (should have won selke at least once in my opinion), had five cups, 72 playoff-goals, and arguably best ever agitator skills. Those things simply cannot be overlooked.

Add Sami Kapanen.

vadim sharifijanov 01-28-2013 02:47 PM

numminen over tikkanen, but tough decision.

Ohashi_Jouzu 01-28-2013 03:33 PM

Okay, with Dzurilla as an option in the Slovak list, Urpo Ylonen seems even more conspicuously absent. Neither has an NHL resume, and both could be described as legendary both domestically and internationally.

Also, looking through the list of Finnish players in the IIHF HoF, I wonder if Timo Jutila's name has come up yet. Keinonen and Marjamaki are also in there, apparently, but unlike Jutila they never played over here.

Rob Scuderi 01-28-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu (Post 58536075)
Okay, with Dzurilla as an option in the Slovak list, Urpo Ylonen seems even more conspicuously absent. Neither has an NHL resume, and both could be described as legendary both domestically and internationally.

Also, looking through the list of Finnish players in the IIHF HoF, I wonder if Timo Jutila's name has come up yet. Keinonen and Marjamaki are also in there, apparently, but unlike Jutila they never played over here.

If Eliteprospects isn't lying to me, Jutila led the FEL or SEL in scoring from a defender 8 times, but he only won the FEL Best D award once. Hannu Virta only led defensemen scoring twice, but he won 4 FEL Best D awards in this same time. That makes me wonder if Jutila had some challenges defensively, or if Virta was just better. Hopefully we can get some more insight.

Darth Yoda 01-28-2013 04:59 PM

Unfortunately i got a brain dump and voted Rinne when i had decided to vote Tikkanen. Hopefully that vote wont matter when it's all said and done.

Ohashi_Jouzu 01-28-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi (Post 58540363)
If Eliteprospects isn't lying to me, Jutila led the FEL or SEL in scoring from a defender 8 times, but he only won the FEL Best D award once. Hannu Virta only led defensemen scoring twice, but he won 4 FEL Best D awards in this same time. That makes me wonder if Jutila had some challenges defensively, or if Virta was just better. Hopefully we can get some more insight.

Interesting. Sounds almost like comparing a European Coffey to a European Chelios.

tony d 01-29-2013 10:33 AM

Teppo Numminen

Metalcommand 01-29-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ES (Post 58529347)
No Finnish hockey fan can forget his interview after lost final in 2006 Olympics, which was very heart-breaking.

LA-LA-LA THIS NEVER HAPPENED! :cry: Still to this day I refuse to watch it again...

Voted Tikkanen.

Sanf 01-29-2013 01:32 PM

In my opinion yes, Urpo Ylönen should be candidate soon. None of the other names has been as important to Finnish national team as Ylönen was in late 60´s. He was the MVP in our first wins against big four (CSSR 67 and 70, Canada 68 and Sweden 70). Chosen the best hockey player in Finland 67,68 and 70.

If I remember right after the 68 win against Canada he did get some offers from NHL (likely training camp invitations). It´s really hard to say would he have make it. NHL was expanding and Ylönen was still quite young. Also he did have long career and he still is respected goalie coach in league (over 50 years after his debut in NT). So in a way there is good proof that he has ability to renew his thinking and maybe he could have adapt to North-American game. But this is just playing with what ifs.

edit. google news story about the Canada game
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...069,1872814&dq


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.