HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Does Buffalo have a defenseman problem. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=13355)

Ghost of Dale Hunter 09-22-2003 11:49 AM

Does Buffalo have a defenseman problem.

It seems to me throughout the other boards that there is a perception that Buffalo has a shortage of Quality Defensmen.

I think we can expect heavy, heavy minutes from Zhitnik, Tallinder, Kalinin and Campbell.

If Mckee is brought back he will get a lot of minutes also.

Then you factor Delmore and Patrick, possibly Fitzpatrick and Bouchard, I just don't see the problem.

Am I crazy?

WhoIsJimBob 09-22-2003 12:09 PM

The only problems I see are:

A) An overall lack of grit on the blueline, especially with McKee out.

B) With McKee they have 8 guys for ideally only 7 spots:

Zhitnik
Kalinin
McKee
Delmore
Campbell
Tallinder
Patrick
Fitzpatrick

Ghost of Dale Hunter 09-22-2003 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob

Zhitnik
Kalinin
McKee
Delmore
Campbell
Tallinder
Patrick
Fitzpatrick

I agree. Whom could we get to toughen us up a bit?

i suggested Klemm in another forum s part of a deal for Mckee. How about *Gulp* Kevin Hatcher?

Ghost of Dale Hunter 09-22-2003 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
Please not Kevin Hatcher. Maybe a Shane Hnidy type could become available. A 7th dman that you only play in the physical games you need him.

I do think Zhitnik and McKee can play tough and maybe Kalinin will step it up. You don't have to drop the gloves you just have to be willing to scrum it up.

I agree.

Makes ya kind of wish we hadn't run Bobby Boughner outta town. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

Rob Paxon 09-22-2003 07:16 PM

I agree with the fairly inarguable consensus that our blueline lacks grit and muscle on paper. However, our speed and offensive potential will rival any team. Of course all speed and no muscle makes jack a dull defensive force. Frankly I don't think bringing McKee back adds much grit if he continues his downward spiral. That isn't to say I wouldn't like to see McKee back, but signing him isn't going to alleviate this potential problem. A trade, perhaps involving McKee, perhaps not, is the only way to beef up our defense. We all know how something looks on paper isn't always how it turns out, and we'll just have to see how this unit comes together through the tough opening road trip. Who knows, we may have some guys throwing their bodies around a lot more than you'd expect.

There's another pretty big questionmark that surrounds all our defensemen, sans Zhitnik; they're all either young (and in many cases fairly unproven) or journeymen. On a positive note, look how Fitzpatrick turned out for us last year. The same could very likely happen for Bouchard should he get the chance to play. Like Jim Bob said, with McKee included we have 8 guys for 7 spots. That means we are going to have some very good depth should injuries occur.

With McKee
Zhitnik - Kalinin
McKee - Tallinder
Delmore - Campbell (too much offense, not enough defense in one pairing?)
Bubble: Patrick, Fitzpatrick, Bouchard

Without McKee:
Zhitnik - Kalinin
Tallinder - Campbell
Delmore - Patrick/Fitzpatrick
Bubble: Bouchard, Cullen(maybe?), some youngster if need be

In my opinion our defense is going to surprise a lot of people, especially with better offense to support it. I also think we're going to see a lot more offense coming from the blueline, and not just because of Delmore. That being said, the grit question still worries me a lot. We can't have our young goalies being pushed around. If this unit can't come together and play TOUGH together, a move will have to be made. I have faith that such a move will be made should the need be glaring. Though I also had faith that they'd get Peca signed up :dunno:.

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 09-23-2003 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob

Zhitnik
Kalinin
McKee
Delmore
Campbell
Tallinder
Patrick
Fitzpatrick

McKee hasn't added grit for two years on a consistent basis.

C. 0 RH defensemen who can play 100% of the time (which knocks out Patrick (age), Delmore (defense?) and Fitzpatrick (8th man on depth chart). Our weakness remains the lack of RD.

WhoIsJimBob 09-23-2003 03:55 AM

Or you could just move McKee for picks/prospects and sign Ken Klee.......

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 09-23-2003 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
If that is the case then our abundance at the forward position should give Darcy the ammo to go get one. Throw in McKee with Timmah or Max and you may be able to land some grit on the blue line.

I suggested the following which was well-received by Oilers fans:

Connolly
Noronen
McKee

for

Comrie
Smith

For our purposes, we get rid of an extra goaltender, an unsigned defenseman and everybody's whipping boy. I don't want to get rid of Connolly, but Comrie gives us someone from the same draft year who's produced. McKee's play has fallen off the face of the earth. Noronen is the wild card.

Comrie gives us another small center. The original proposal was to deal Briere for Komisarek, but that fell through. At least until Komisarek struggles with the big club, and then everyone will want him dealt. Jim Bob came up with a good suggestion to simply flip Comrie for another defenseman. But Jason Smith addresses several weaknesses: i) we get leadership, ii) a RD defenseman, iii) grit.

Perhaps Comrie could be flipped for Boynton? Problem is the Bruins have lots of forwards already. If so, then:

Zhitnik/Boynton
Kalinin/Smith
Tallinder/Delmore

We still have a glut, because Campbell can certainly play. Fitzpatrick and Patrick you have for depth.

WhoIsJimBob 09-23-2003 04:16 AM

Don't the Bruins have blueline issues because of injuries?

And speaking of Ken Klee:

http://www.slam.ca/Slam030922/nhl_was-cp.html