HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Canucks shootout choices? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1335921)

Musicman798 01-29-2013 12:27 AM

Canucks shootout choices?
 
Just watched the end of the Kings game, saw that Canucks used Burrows, Edler and Kassian. Is this not the same group that they tried against the Oilers? It's not like their attempts are horrible, but surely there are better options for you guys aren't there?

Just curious because you guys seem to have guys who would be decent, not that I watch the Canucks enough to know for sure though. Are the Sedins not good options? Hansen?

Is this a bonehead coaching move where Vigneault is just being stubborn with his choices? Or are these guys the best on the team at the shootout?

Just wondering what you guys think?

Tiranis 01-29-2013 12:29 AM

Burrows is our best guy (50%) but needs to be told to just do his one move. That's the only way he scores. Whenever he tries anything else it's a fail.

Kassian is probably 2nd best. Schroeder likely 3rd best. After that it's a total disaster.

pahlsson 01-29-2013 12:29 AM

canucks just flat out suck at shootouts, the only shooters i'd trust to get a goal even 1/4 of the time are burrows and kassian

Shareefruck 01-29-2013 12:30 AM

We are not built for the shootout at all. The Sedins are probably among the worst shootout guys in the league and while I love Hansen, he's awful at breakaways.

The only other options we have is Higgins and Schroeder, IMO, and they are not any better than what we regularly put out.

And hey, Burrows is at around 50% in his career.

Musicman798 01-29-2013 12:31 AM

I've probably seen Burrows' move before, anyone got a video of it though? I hadn't even thought about Schroeder.

Tiranis 01-29-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shareefruck (Post 58580171)
We are not built for the shootout at all. The Sedins are probably among the worst shootout guys in the league and while I love Hansen, he's awful at breakaways.

The only other options we have is Higgins and Schroeder, IMO, and they are not any better than what we regularly put out.

And hey, Burrows is at around 50% in his career.

Schroeder is actually good at shootouts. He has a very good shot and a whole bunch of dekes. I think he's around 40% in the AHL.

keslerburrows 01-29-2013 12:32 AM

Use Schroeder!!!! The kid has the best hands on the team!

Shareefruck 01-29-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicman798 (Post 58580209)
I've probably seen Burrows' move before, anyone got a video of it though? I hadn't even thought about Schroeder.

Just youtube it.... Couldn't be easier to do yourself.

Any shot that goes in is going to be that move.

pahlsson 01-29-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicman798 (Post 58580209)
I've probably seen Burrows' move before, anyone got a video of it though? I hadn't even thought about Schroeder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hzswjk9HFM

i think he tried to "mix it up" tonight, too bad it looked ****in awful and was probably illegal anyway

Royal Canuck 01-29-2013 12:35 AM

We need more Raymond and Schroeder in shootouts.

CookieCrumbs* 01-29-2013 12:40 AM

Why does AV use Edler in the shoot out? The guy tosses a lazy wrister 5 hole EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Schroeder needs a go in the shoot out. AV needs to stop sack riding these guys and mix it up for once.

Musicman798 01-29-2013 12:42 AM

So Burrows is basically the Sam Gagner in the shootout for the Canucks then. Though I haven't seen career shootout stats. They have their bread and butter move, Burrows likes to change it up, Gagner just got figured out, though it looks like he may be starting to score on it again.

VinnyC 01-29-2013 12:42 AM

Drop Edler, add Schroeder.

When Booth's back, use him instead of Burrows if he's not feeling it.

Bougieman 01-29-2013 12:44 AM

Wellwood was good. Tambellini was good. We've had lots of good shootout players through the years, but we keep getting rid of them.

Wouldn't mind seeing some not-so-obvious choices once and a while. What would Manny be like? Higgins? Raymond?

One thing is for sure, the team needs to be practicing shootout drills or something. They're so important this year, and we seem to do doing them almost every game.

frag2 01-29-2013 12:54 AM

Anyone care to describe what Burrows did? Reading the Main Boards, I heard it was a lolworthy attempt?

CookieCrumbs* 01-29-2013 01:00 AM

Tambellini is an FA and skating with Kesler in Vancouver at the moment (or so I've read). Pick him up and waive Ebbett.

Vankiller Whale 01-29-2013 01:04 AM

Kassian, Burrows, Schroeder.

Kesler when he gets back, and Jensen either the end of this season or beginning of next(he owns the shootouts in Sweden).

OgoBoHo 01-29-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieCrumbs (Post 58580673)
Why does AV use Edler in the shoot out? The guy tosses a lazy wrister 5 hole EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Schroeder needs a go in the shoot out. AV needs to stop sack riding these guys and mix it up for once.

Edler keeps doing that move, or shot because it was last year I believe, he went on a little streak while doing that shot. It's the only shot he knows, so he's going to stay with it, just like Burrows and how he should just stick with his forehand, backhand, shelf move.

pahlsson 01-29-2013 01:25 AM

edler has two moves

1. coming from the left, quick wrister 5 hole
2. coming slightly from the right, fake and shoot just above the right pad

pretty sure neither has worked in like the past 10 attempts

Yossarian54 01-29-2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 58581849)
Kassian, Burrows, Schroeder.

Kesler when he gets back, and Jensen either the end of this season or beginning of next(he owns the shootouts in Sweden).

Agree.

Has Higgins been used before? He has decent hands, but I can't remember.

craigcaulks* 01-29-2013 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicman798 (Post 58579993)
Just watched the end of the Kings game, saw that Canucks used Burrows, Edler and Kassian. Is this not the same group that they tried against the Oilers? It's not like their attempts are horrible, but surely there are better options for you guys aren't there?

Just curious because you guys seem to have guys who would be decent, not that I watch the Canucks enough to know for sure though. Are the Sedins not good options? Hansen?

Is this a bonehead coaching move where Vigneault is just being stubborn with his choices? Or are these guys the best on the team at the shootout?

Just wondering what you guys think?

If you ignore a players shot out success then I guess you have a point.

StringerBell 01-29-2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pahlsson (Post 58580303)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hzswjk9HFM

i think he tried to "mix it up" tonight, too bad it looked ****in awful and was probably illegal anyway

Sutter said he talked to his coaches and they thought it was legal.

M A K A V E L I* 01-29-2013 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pahlsson (Post 58580303)
too bad it looked ****in awful and was probably illegal anyway

It's legal. The puck never went backwards.

craigcaulks* 01-29-2013 02:02 AM

I think AV is still thinking about this 4 year old goal.


aandbreatheme 01-29-2013 02:04 AM

What about Booth?

Kassian
Burrows
Booth/Shroeder


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.