HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Jesse Joensu out 5-7 weeks (Sports Hernia) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1336207)

Dutch Frost 01-29-2013 12:22 PM

Jesse Joensu out 5-7 weeks (Sports Hernia)

As per Arthur Staple:

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday

#Isles say Jesse Joensuu will miss 5-7 weeks after surgery to repair a sports hernia.

Ouch.. I was hoping to see him play.

IslesNorway 01-29-2013 12:23 PM

That sucks! That is practically the whole season...

Mustang2750 01-29-2013 12:25 PM

Always sucks to see a younger guy hurt but its not like he should have a spot on the roster. Hurts Bport more than us.

xECK29x 01-29-2013 12:26 PM

That sucks, was looking forward to see what he brings to the table after a great year overseas.

InformTheMasses 01-29-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslesNorway (Post 58598589)
That sucks! That is practically the whole season...

Well no, the season is like 14 or 15 weeks. He's already missed one, and then tack on 6 more. Definitely going to miss half the year though. Ouch.

KingLio21093 01-29-2013 12:33 PM

Geez. I was looking forward to seeing his progress. Really sucks.

kasper11 01-29-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang2750 (Post 58598707)
Always sucks to see a younger guy hurt but its not like he should have a spot on the roster. Hurts Bport more than us.

We don't know that. I was really hoping that he could earn a spot this year, but he probably won't have much of a chance.

Homeland Security 01-29-2013 01:04 PM

That sucks!

Richie Daggers Crime 01-29-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang2750 (Post 58598707)

I'm pretty sure he was slated to go to the big club this year.

redbull 01-29-2013 01:08 PM

doesn't hurt us that much, if at all. It will give guys like Aucoin, McDonald, Cizikas and Boyes more time to solidify spots in the lineup, assuming one will be replaced by Bailey.

I'd also expect one of Nino (though asking for a trade probably killed that idea), Nelson, Sundstrom (hurt), maybe Kabanov or even Persson to get a look at some point, if they play really well.

JetsMetsIsles 01-29-2013 01:33 PM

Always stinks to see a young player get hurt but I'm glad he's not in the NHL. I really hate JJ's game.

scott99 01-29-2013 02:01 PM

Well, that's the end of that. Even if he comes back in 7 weeks, he will need a 2 week conditioning stint in Bridgeport. He's done.

BillD 01-29-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kasper11 (Post 58599651)
We don't know that. I was really hoping that he could earn a spot this year, but he probably won't have much of a chance.

He signed a one way deal almost assuring he would be on our roster and not BPort.
Think I read he had an option to return to Fin Liga if he was cut from NYI.
Too bad for him. Maybe he gets another chance next season.

luki here 01-29-2013 02:08 PM

damn, was really looking forward to seeing him use that weight. Its also unfortunate considering he is currently suspended, ie wont be getting any cash for this entire (mini) half season.

Thats a bummer!

Bunk Moreland 01-29-2013 02:23 PM

He was doing pretty good in Sweden this actually sucks I was hoping joensuu would finally take advantage of having a legit shot..

OlTimeHockey 01-29-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland (Post 58604589)
He was doing pretty good in Sweden this actually sucks I was hoping joensuu would finally take advantage of having a legit shot..

And he broadened his game to use his size, as well. I was hoping to see a new Joensuu as well. We sure could use his size right now as 7/8 of the roster plays like girl scouts.

redbull 01-29-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey (Post 58605387)
And he broadened his game to use his size, as well. I was hoping to see a new Joensuu as well. We sure could use his size right now as 7/8 of the roster plays like girl scouts.

not the former-east-German angry girl scouts, unfortunately. :)

The Isles have big players who hit, but lack skill & speed.
Small & fast, skilled players who can't play physical.
Talented players who don't work hard enough (this year, Boyes, Moulson (on "D"), Streit. Previous years, Okposo, Bailey, Comeau, many more)

A lot of limited players. Hence, the lottery finishes.

This year is better than prior years, but this team is still way off in key areas. Size and skill being a tough one to address, across the NHL. Not saying JJ was that guy, but based on how he was playing in Europe, it would have been nice to see that. Maybe we will in a couple of months.

blinkman360 01-29-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbull (Post 58608533)
not the former-east-German angry girl scouts, unfortunately. :)

The Isles have big players who hit, but lack skill & speed.
Small & fast, skilled players who can't play physical.
Talented players who don't work hard enough (this year, Boyes, Moulson (on "D"), Streit. Previous years, Okposo, Bailey, Comeau, many more)

A lot of limited players. Hence, the lottery finishes.

This year is better than prior years, but this team is still way off in key areas. Size and skill being a tough one to address, across the NHL. Not saying JJ was that guy, but based on how he was playing in Europe, it would have been nice to see that. Maybe we will in a couple of months.

We do have one player who is big, fast, physical, skilled and hard working. His name is David Ullstrom. AKA JT's future linemate.

Disappointed about Joensuu, but oh well. Wasn't too excited about him coming back, mainly because he pretty much looked like a pylon during his last stint. I know he's not the same player, but that image has yet to leave my brain.

IslesFanatic 01-29-2013 03:58 PM

Why is this guy even here? He isnt very good. Bye bye.

IceAce 01-29-2013 04:04 PM

Never a fan of Jesse. Waste of good size. Has zero heart and his game never translated to the NHL or North American style.

Sucks he's hurt, but we really aren't losing much here.

malPHONEY 01-29-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceAce (Post 58610131)
Never a fan of Jesse. Waste of good size. Has zero heart and his game never translated to the NHL or North American style.

Sucks he's hurt, but we really aren't losing much here.

Can we come up with a better narrative than this? Why does every other player have to be heartless?

IceAce 01-29-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malPHONEY (Post 58610847)
Can we come up with a better narrative than this? Why does every other player have to be heartless?

alright well sub out heart for effort, desire, competitive fire, etc.

Take your pick.

CREW99AW 01-29-2013 04:22 PM

Tough break for JJ.

He played well at the World Championships and in the Finnish Elite League. This was going to be a chance for the older, more developed Joensuu to stick in the nhl.

startainfection 01-29-2013 04:52 PM

damnit, last time he played for the isles i thought he started protecting the puck very well and after hearing how well he did over seas last season i was hoping to see him on the big club's 4th line

beach 01-29-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malPHONEY (Post 58610847)

OK, he lacks courage.
:)