HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   potter or whitney (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1336211)

titsuple 01-29-2013 01:27 PM

potter or whitney

after last nights game I started to think that I would like to see a game with whitney out and have fistric and potter on the 3rd pairing, what say you?

stratedge 01-29-2013 01:31 PM

Not sure. Whitney's passing is under-appreciated right now, and his play thus far is slowly getting better, not worse. But I definitely feel that Fistric should have been in the line-up against the Avs, and it's a battle between Potter and Whitney for the 6 spot. The next time Whitney doesn't give 100%, I'd rest him.

Overall I am happy with the D-men knowing there are 7 guys for 6 spots, much better than having 4 guys for 6 spots.

joestevens29 01-29-2013 01:39 PM

Went with Whitney. Think that he is a guy that if he gets going will be a real solid addition to this team.

SerbianEagle 01-29-2013 01:43 PM

Whitney...simply a better player than Potter.

Auguste Escoffier 01-29-2013 01:46 PM

Hit Peckham, meant to hit Potter.

I really dislike Whitney's game right now.

SephF 01-29-2013 01:47 PM

Whits forsure, this time Fistric should play the right side though.

OneMoreAstronaut 01-29-2013 01:53 PM

Whitney at the bottom of his game may be a slightly poorer player than Potter, but Whitney at the top of his game is a much better player than Potter. I'd stick with Whitney just on the chance that playing will help him find his form again, because we need a player who can play like Whitney can play, but we don't need Potter.

Aerchon 01-29-2013 02:48 PM

To my mind it is a no brainer.

Potter should be playing. He is a right handed D man and generaly considered 2 way with decent puck movement and a good shot.

Fistric is a Left handed D man and more of a shutdown guy.

Much better for your bottom pairing composition.

Whitney's passing has been good and it has made up for his lack of mobility a bit. But I cringe every time he has the puck in our end and just stands there untill he either has someone come back to him or he turns his back to the play and just tries to freeze the puck in our own zone. Horrible play and ive seen him do it multiple times. I am not even sure if I have seen him skate the puck out of the zone once yet.

OilCanada92 01-29-2013 03:04 PM

Clicked Peckham because 09/10 Peckham with Fristic would be extremely frightening...

Perfect_Drug 01-29-2013 03:13 PM

Sitting Whitney would really devalue anything we might be able to get for him in a trade.

That said, I bet we could get Penner for him straight up.

jukon 01-29-2013 05:00 PM

4th option: Don't care so long as Fistric plays.

I don't like that we traded for the guy just to have him sit in the pressbox. Treat him well or he will walk as UFA at the end of the season.

timekeep 01-29-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukon (Post 58609935)
4th option: Don't care so long as Fistric plays.

I don't like that we traded for the guy just to have him sit in the pressbox. Treat him well or he will walk as UFA at the end of the season.

Well put. Completely agree. If Peckham plays over Fistric, Ralph is going get whacked. :damnpc:

Lessy 01-29-2013 05:35 PM

I dislike Whitney as much as anyone but he's still a far better option than Potter who would be hard-pressed to crack an AHL top 4. The guy has no business playing everyday in the show.

senorchang 01-29-2013 05:36 PM

whitney is a candidate for the worst breakout in the league. its ridiculous how many times he gets the team trapped in their own end. I also think whitney ruins the powerplay maybe put petry in there instead.

titsuple 01-29-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senorchang (Post 58611857)
whitney is a candidate for the worst breakout in the league. its ridiculous how many times he gets the team trapped in their own end. I also think whitney ruins the powerplay maybe put petry in there instead.

this ^^^^^^

SephF 01-29-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senorchang (Post 58611857)

He made a great pass to gain the zone last night on the PP resulting in a goal. I think people need to stop looking at everything through a magnifying glass. Whits still has a great first pass.

Keep in mind with Fistric he was playing his offside, to me he's clearly better on the left.

Pressure 01-29-2013 07:29 PM

Whitney was the sole reason we were hemmed in our zone a handful of times when he had time to move it out by skating. Instead he went for a lazy clear on the boards and cross ice passes.

i accidently chose Whitney, should have picked Potter for now.

awesomo 01-29-2013 10:07 PM

none. tank and pick seth jones.

big, strong, right handed. schultz, petry, jones. RD. pretty solid

smokersarejokers 01-29-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awesomo (Post 58647137)
none. tank and pick seth jones.

big, strong, right handed. schultz, petry, jones. RD. pretty solid

Aren't you sick of tanking? I want this team to at least compete for a playoff spot this year. The kids need to experience meaningful late season games. Seth Jones would be great, but the Oilers already have a few decent D prospects. Also, free agents are going to start to consider Edmonton now too.

With regards to Whitney vs Potter, I picked Whitney. He has the potential to be so much better, but it's pretty sad watching him right now. Either he's still injured, out of shape, or doesn't give a **** anymore.

At least Potter looks like he's giving everything he has.

I am the Liquor 01-29-2013 10:35 PM

Where is the none of the above option?

awesomo 01-30-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokersarejokers (Post 58648855)
Aren't you sick of tanking? I want this team to at least compete for a playoff spot this year. The kids need to experience meaningful late season games. Seth Jones would be great, but the Oilers already have a few decent D prospects. Also, free agents are going to start to consider Edmonton now too.

With regards to Whitney vs Potter, I picked Whitney. He has the potential to be so much better, but it's pretty sad watching him right now. Either he's still injured, out of shape, or doesn't give a **** anymore.

At least Potter looks like he's giving everything he has.

Half a season is a perfect time to tank. Other than klefbom the oilers don't have much of that high potential dmen. Even klefbom got injured, he's missing such an important year of development

Wheatking 01-30-2013 01:55 AM

Whitney is struggling but lets not get carried away. Remove the names and numbers off the back of their jerseys along with the expectations that come with each player and Whitney is the better defenseman out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by awesomo (Post 58664193)
Half a season is a perfect time to tank. Other than klefbom the oilers don't have much of that high potential dmen. Even klefbom got injured, he's missing such an important year of development

Unless they're Doughty(a top pairing Dman at 18), you don't tank for Dman. The majority of the time they're ready to become a UFA by the time they reach their full potential. We need to trade for or sign a top end Dman that is in his mid 20's.

awesomo 01-30-2013 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheatking (Post 58664443)
Whitney is struggling but lets not get carried away. Remove the names and numbers off the back of their jerseys along with the expectations that come with each player and Whitney is the better defenseman out there.

Unless they're Doughty(a top pairing Dman at 18), you don't tank for Dman. The majority of the time they're ready to become a UFA by the time they reach their full potential. We need to trade for or sign a top end Dman that is in his mid 20's.

seth jones is worth it IMO. hes big, strong, good genes, skates well. And RH... immediately it makes him more valuable.

Evil Ernie 01-30-2013 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the Liquor (Post 58651431)
Where is the none of the above option?

It's called not voting.

Just like I do when it comes to real voting.

oilinblood 01-30-2013 05:29 AM

I think this team needs Johnny Boychuk

Potter was the man responsible most for the 2 canucks goals in game 1, i counted him immediately responsible for 3 vs SJ, and I count him and whitney equally responsible for the 1 against COL. On the other hand i have been really happy with Fistric.

I was hoping Whitney would have a strong year but maybe he wasted all of his energy and time on anti-NHL tweets. A good Whitney is worth more than a good Potter so i hope he plays well and we can deal him for someone that fits our system and isnt so damn depressing.

We are no longer a 1 pass break out, we actually have the guys to do a controlled 3 play break out with possession and lots of touches. Our forwards are they types that like their touches and THEY are the ones that will push the pace. With forwards this skilled you also dont need a guy threading the needle to make a break out, the players are smart enough to know how to position and give themselves the highest percentage chance of reception. THe Eberles and Halls know where the lanes are and how to manipulate them. You dont need Whitneys 8 mistaes a period costing you an extra minute in your zone under pressure...just so you can have one good pass a game. Passing is receiver and sender. Years of OMarks and Coglianos are done.

A lot of puck possession also has to do with stopping your opponent fast in your own zone. I just dont see good decision making on Whitneys part...but he is better than Potter. Any non-oiler fan will definitely tell you Potter does not belong on a legit NHL team. He doesnt do anything particularly well. At least give us 1 thing that you are known for and then we can choose when we need that one thing... but he is well below average at everything.