HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   OT: NFL fans by county (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1336291)

danishh 01-29-2013 01:53 PM

OT: NFL fans by county
 
saw this, it's really cool. Would love to see someone attempt an NHL version. Created using "likes" to the teams on facebook and facebook's new graph search.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...68495614_n.png

https://www.facebook.com/notes/faceb...51298370823859

CantHaveTkachev 01-29-2013 02:00 PM

whoa, how bout them Cowboys :)

thats really cool

scotchex 01-29-2013 02:19 PM

Cool map. Hope they do it for NBA, NHL, MLB. And college sports, too.

I'm surprised how little area the Carolina Panthers cover.
And why is southern Virginia Dallas Cowboys territory? Just to spite the hated Northern Virginia Redskins fans?

I'd always heard that eastern North Carolina was Redskins territory. Apparently I was wrong and it's Steelers and Cowboys territory instead.

IU Hawks fan 01-29-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotchex (Post 58604385)
I'm surprised how little area the Carolina Panthers cover.
And why is southern Virginia Dallas Cowboys territory? Just to spite the hated Northern Virginia Redskins fans?

I'd always heard that eastern North Carolina was Redskins territory. Apparently I was wrong and it's Steelers and Cowboys territory instead.

The sample sizes are still too small to be considered realistic. A lot of these counties probably have 100 or so people 'like' that team. And older fans who aren't on Facebook aren't being counted.

scotchex 01-29-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan (Post 58604737)
The sample sizes are still too small to be considered realistic. A lot of these counties probably have 100 or so people 'like' that team. And older fans who aren't on Facebook aren't being counted.

Good points. The older folks in eastern North Carolina grew up before the Carolina Panthers even existed. Anything Facebook will self-select for younger people

Brodie 01-29-2013 02:53 PM

I think the most surprising result is in northwestern Ohio... an area about an hour from Detroit and Cleveland and two from Cincinnati that's solidly for the Steelers. Although I guess that's not surprising at all considering

VinnyC 01-29-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodie (Post 58606207)
I think the most surprising result is in northwestern Ohio... an area about an hour from Detroit and Cleveland and two from Cincinnati that's solidly for the Steelers. Although I guess that's not surprising at all considering

IIRC Pittsburgh media has a solid presence just outside of Cleveland; I'm a bit surprised that the influence extends to Cincinnati though.

And are all those yellow counties in the Carolinas Steelers territory too?

danishh 01-29-2013 03:03 PM

just noticed that jets fans are only the majority in brooklyn and queens. Smallest home turf in the league.

Dado 01-29-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty (Post 58603351)
whoa, how bout them Cowboys :)

Contrast to Houston, lol, the red headed step child of Texas.

OKCDevil 01-29-2013 03:45 PM

The Cowboys being all over the place doesn't surprise me. America's Team and all that, you know. They have a lot of territory in the West, too. As I said in a previous post in the Coyotes thread, Arizona has Cowboys fans in it and the Cards' are surrounded by them. Back in the 80s and 90s, Arizona was Cowboys territory still.

And look at the Raiders. NOTHING in the Bay Area, but a big chunk of SoCal. The NFL really just needs to make the Raiders move back south. They never should have left anyway. The Rams went first and the Raiders could have spent the last 20 years with that market all to themselves. They'd have to be worth twice as much in LA as Oakland.

Teemu 01-29-2013 03:59 PM

I love how most of Alaska goes for Green Bay. I guess they empathize with the cold.

Glacial 01-29-2013 04:36 PM

Anyone ever heard of this site?

http://commoncensus.org/sports.php

People can submit their sports loyalties/locations to further refine the map. Only problem is like that Facebook map, it's dominant teams only, so teams that might make up, say, 1/3rd of a sports population there don't get shown.

Taoiseach 01-29-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teemu (Post 58609907)
I love how most of Alaska goes for Green Bay. I guess they empathize with the cold.

What's the random red county in Alaska?

You should be able to hover over the counties and see what they are. A lot of the colours are too similar to other ones...

danishh 01-29-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glacial (Post 58611859)
Anyone ever heard of this site?

http://commoncensus.org/sports.php

People can submit their sports loyalties/locations to further refine the map. Only problem is like that Facebook map, it's dominant teams only, so teams that might make up, say, 1/3rd of a sports population there don't get shown.

yeah, we had some threads on that a few years back. Site appears abandoned, and always had low data volume. Facebook graph could be a much better way of doing this.

TTOMO 01-29-2013 08:13 PM

I could definitely see some hostilities in the states of Virginia and New Jersey. Very interesting, the Cowboys presence, for some reason in southern Virginia, with the Skins in the north (I wonder how many people in southern Virginia cheer for the Cowboys out of hate for the Redskins or their fans. I could see it.). Some interesting ones, like that one county in Colorado that is Cowboys, or that one county in western Texas that is Saints. And like was said, all those counties in South Carolina being Steelers, very strange (even though the Steelers are huge everywhere). The one Brodie mentioned is another good one.

Brodie 01-29-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taoiseach (Post 58611865)
What's the random red county in Alaska?

It's the 49ers.

No Fun Shogun 01-29-2013 08:20 PM

Honestly surprised that there isn't more bleedover from the Colts and Rams into Central Illinois.

Then again, as it's only a measure of the most popular team, guess it's not too surprising.... except for Southern Illinois.... never would've guessed that Cairo was Bears country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glacial (Post 58611859)
Anyone ever heard of this site?

http://commoncensus.org/sports.php

People can submit their sports loyalties/locations to further refine the map. Only problem is like that Facebook map, it's dominant teams only, so teams that might make up, say, 1/3rd of a sports population there don't get shown.

Yeah, I've actually been aware of that since it was pretty much first started, though it's really let off on updated the last few years.

Brodie 01-29-2013 09:02 PM

Considering the low population density of most of those western states, I'd guess the Steelers would top the Cowboys in terms of actual fans.

chopkins 01-29-2013 09:08 PM

Surprised the Raiders have any support outside of Northern California.

Edit: Read thread. Realized the Raiders came from Socal. Ignore me. :help:

sh724 01-29-2013 09:31 PM

The problem with basing something off of facebook 'likes' is there is no limit on the amount of things people can like. Some one can click like on all 32 NFL teams that does not mean they are fans of all 32 teams.

danishh 01-29-2013 09:57 PM

you guys read the link? 35million data points, or one in ten americans. That should mitigate the risks of any of the suggested "errors" that have been claimed in this thread. Obviously he used some sort of minimum cutoff too, as you see a bunch of white spots and i highly doubt a single county in america has zero data from this.

the only legitimate qualm I can see is that it only shows the most popular team, so while the jets, for example, have a ton of fans in new york, on long island, and in new jersey, they are only represented on this map by brooklyn and queens. Another example would be ohio, where that massive steelers block (and the NW corner abberation) probably only represents something like 35% steelers 33% browns 33% bengals.

Colt45Blast 01-29-2013 10:12 PM

Interesting but I question the accuracy. Not a chance in hell do I buy for 1 second that there is one county in Arizona that has more Cardinals Fans than all of the others. Even with a rise in attendence and interest overall of the team, they're way more Cowboys and Steelers Fans in AZ. Hell, we have bars in the state that cater to just the Cowboys or Steelers Fans only.

kdb209 01-29-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chopkins (Post 58647373)
Surprised the Raiders have any support outside of Northern California.

Edit: Read thread. Realized the Raiders came from Socal. Ignore me. :help:

Actually they played in Oakland (1960-1981), moved to LA (1982-1994), and then back to Oakland (1995-date).

Glacial 01-29-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danishh (Post 58653791)
you guys read the link? 35million data points, or one in ten americans. That should mitigate the risks of any of the suggested "errors" that have been claimed in this thread. Obviously he used some sort of minimum cutoff too, as you see a bunch of white spots and i highly doubt a single county in america has zero data from this.

the only legitimate qualm I can see is that it only shows the most popular team, so while the jets, for example, have a ton of fans in new york, on long island, and in new jersey, they are only represented on this map by brooklyn and queens. Another example would be ohio, where that massive steelers block (and the NW corner abberation) probably only represents something like 35% steelers 33% browns 33% bengals.

Well, as others have noted, it skews younger since its Facebook. 35 million is a 'pretty good' sample size :sarcasm: though in markets where there is a big age divide in support, it may not paint an accurate picture. Not sure what those might be in the NFL. Famously, in the NHL it's the Devils with older folks in Jersey having retained their pre-Devils loyalties whereas people 30 and under skew very strongly for the Devils. Still is a very good map (except for the point you note. I wished they map them with overlapping colors or add a background pattern to show it or assembled 32 maps, one for each team, with a percentage spread with varying colors for each county, like a different color for every 10th percentile).

IU Hawks fan 01-29-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danishh (Post 58653791)
you guys read the link? 35million data points, or one in ten americans. That should mitigate the risks of any of the suggested "errors" that have been claimed in this thread. Obviously he used some sort of minimum cutoff too, as you see a bunch of white spots and i highly doubt a single county in america has zero data from this.

The "errors" are the fact that Facebook is predominately for young people. So if you want to do a survey that doesn't include nearly anyone over 40 in the data, than this is a great one.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.