HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Oliver Ekman-Larsson vs Ryan McDonaugh vs Travis Hamonic (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1336805)

johnnyutah 01-30-2013 12:04 AM

Oliver Ekman-Larsson vs Ryan McDonaugh vs Travis Hamonic

Who will have the best career?

Benny FTW 01-30-2013 12:05 AM

OEL
McDonagh

Hamonic

Todds Chiropractory 01-30-2013 12:17 AM

OEL pretty easily for me

Edit: Well I guess best career maybe be a bit of a stretch if we are talking about division titles and championship rings, but I definitely think he will be the best of the 3.

VinnyC 01-30-2013 12:22 AM

OEL

McDonagh
Hamonic

ez

Corey Perry* 01-30-2013 01:15 AM

OEL, but McDonaugh isn't too far behind.

SERE 24 01-30-2013 01:45 AM

I think Hamonic is great, and he is my favorite Islander.

Having said that, I still feel he will top out a touch below the other two.

And having said that, McDonagh is probably my personal favorite d-man in the NHL these days, but OEL will be nearly as good and just as effective defensively (because wherever he isn't as good, he'll make up for it by moving the puck out of the zone and keeping it in the other end longer) while obviously having the higher skill set offensively.

However, I also think people underestimate the tools that McDonagh does have offensively, even though he does not use them nearly as much, and I believe that McDonagh has the potential (it won't necessarily be realized) to be a 40+ point defender in a couple of years. I believe he gets sold short in that regard sometimes; his hands and vision are better than people think and he jumps up in the play a good amount. He has to work on his touch with his passes and the accuracy on his shot. I also think that OEL, while excellent defensively, gets a little extra love in that regard from HF because he is one of the current HF golden children. I believe McDonagh is superior in his own end. OEL will close the gap, though McD will also continue to improve, and I don't think OEL will ever be as dominant in his own zone as McDonagh. As mentioned earlier however, sometimes the best defense is a good offense (puck's not in your own end, the other team can't score) and OEL will contribute to that heavily.

All things considered, OEL will have the best overall career and will be one of the very best dmen in the league for a large chunk of his career, IMO.

Edit: Obviously, I did not take into account team trophies such as the Cup because that's not always within a player's control. I answered in terms of the legacy of their actual on ice performances by career's end.

HockeySensible 01-30-2013 01:55 AM

OEL
McDonaugh

Hamonic

Salzig 01-30-2013 02:00 AM

It's clearly OEL to me. He's got the talent to be one of the elite defensemen in this league. Hamonic and McDonagh both will probably become solid (first pairing?) defenseman, but OEL will be a guy that carries the entire team.

Gritzky98 01-30-2013 03:19 AM

OEL is far better than the other 2

InjuredChoker 01-30-2013 06:56 AM

OEL. Hamonic doesn't belong to this discussion, at least yet. McDonagh doesn't have the offensive upside of OEL.

Le Magnifique 66 01-30-2013 07:58 AM

In order

OEL
McDonagh
Hamonic

blinkman360 01-30-2013 11:37 AM

I feel bad for Hammer in this. I love him but he's not on this level yet. I could see it changing but as of now it's: OEL-McD---Hamonic

Habsawce 01-30-2013 11:38 AM

I voted for Hamonic for the simple fact this isn't a fair comparison for him. Didn't want him to get zero :nod: