HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Football (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Football Fan Map Based on Facebook (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1336965)

rj 01-30-2013 09:14 AM

Football Fan Map Based on Facebook

I'd love to see one of these done for the NHL.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18d0...g/original.png

http://deadspin.com/5979970/facebook...p-ever-created

Quote:

It's long been a dream of mankind to put together a map showing the geographic locations of NFL fanbases. The CommonCensus map tried to do it though polling; we took a crack at one based solely on proximity. But all previous efforts have been self-selecting or otherwise flawed. If only there was a massive database of millions of Americans identifying their favorite teams, with precise geographic information included.

This is exactly that. Facebook's Data Science team has combed the more than 35 million users who have "liked" a team's fan page, and put it into graphic form, down to the county level. Sean Taylor, who headed the research and analysis, was kind enough to send along the high-resolution maps. Click the overall fandom map above to enlarge.

Takeaways?

• Alaska is confused.
• New England owns New England, and pockets around the country.
• The Jets have just one county—Nassau County, on the western end of Long Island.
• Florida, home of expats, contains pockets of Giants, Patriots, Steelers, Packers, and Bears fans
• The lightly populated Great Plains and Rocky Mountain regions, far from any team, transition from Vikings fandom in the east to Broncos fandom to—unexpectedly—Cowboys fandom in Idaho, Utah, and Nevada.
• Oakland has impressive penetration on the periphery of 49ers country, even into Nevada and Oregon.

Epsilon 01-30-2013 10:10 AM

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...17-d3jvo61.jpg

DaveG 01-30-2013 02:49 PM

Looks about right for NC. There's a huge mix of Steelers, Cowboys, and Redskins fans here to go along with the Panthers fans. And that's been trending Steelers of late. Obviously, more Panthers fans the closer you get to Charlotte, minus Buncombe and Madison counties, which is yet one more reason that Asheville kicks all kinds of ass.

The big pocket of Cowboys fans in southern VA confuses me, figured that would be safe Redskins territory with a mix of Steelers and Panthers in there.

Hasbro 01-30-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon (Post 58673939)

Thanks Dima.

kingsholygrail 01-30-2013 03:32 PM

I like how the Oakland fanbase is not anywhere near Oakland.

What the Faulk 01-30-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveG (Post 58688497)
Looks about right for NC. There's a huge mix of Steelers, Cowboys, and Redskins fans here to go along with the Panthers fans. And that's been trending Steelers of late. Obviously, more Panthers fans the closer you get to Charlotte, minus Buncombe and Madison counties, which is yet one more reason that Asheville kicks all kinds of ass.

The big pocket of Cowboys fans in southern VA confuses me, figured that would be safe Redskins territory with a mix of Steelers and Panthers in there.

I'm just glad the Atlanta influence in both Carolina's is extremely minimal. Back when I went to high school everyone and their brother had a Michael Vick jersey, but I think everyone in general around that time period had a Michael Vick jersey.

MrFunnyWobbl 01-30-2013 05:32 PM

Not to many Ravenss fans

Clowe Me 01-30-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsholygrail (Post 58690797)

I found that funny as well.

The 49ers are more popular in their own city according to this map.

EpochLink 01-30-2013 07:18 PM

I find it funny that the Giants and Bills pretty much cover the state of New York, even the Steelers have a spot in the state...

Jets :laugh:

Big Poppa Puck 01-30-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by What the Faulk (Post 58691411)
I'm just glad the Atlanta influence in both Carolina's is extremely minimal. Back when I went to high school everyone and their brother had a Michael Vick jersey, but I think everyone in general around that time period had a Michael Vick jersey.

I had a Vick jersey too. :laugh: I think I got it the year they switched their unis (2003?). My mom made me get rid of it out of disgust when the dog fighting stuff came out. :laugh:

From as far back as I can remember til about my freshman or sophomore year of high school I used to buy/have a ton of NFL/NHL/NBA jerseys though. Whether it was my teams, players I liked, or just because of I thought the jersey was nice.

Since ~06/07 I've only gotten jerseys of my favorite teams, for the most part.

kingsholygrail 01-30-2013 10:07 PM

I don't think the Jets have a fanbase according to this map. lol

Epsilon 01-31-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsholygrail (Post 58718207)
I don't think the Jets have a fanbase according to this map. lol

That's because Bristol, CT isn't its own county.

Taro Tsujimoto 01-31-2013 01:36 PM

I'm surprised Steuben County is considered Steelers territory. Same with Chemung County being Giants territory.

Shape 01-31-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon (Post 58673939)

When will "America's Team" cease to be an overrated joke? Will "America's Team" ever win anything again???

Helton4Hall 01-31-2013 04:09 PM

Cowboys popular everywhere.

Francesa 01-31-2013 04:13 PM

Always been an advocate of supporting local teams

I grew up here and I'll always root for the local teams

It just seems weird to pull for a team several thousand miles away

Fish on The Sand 01-31-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rj (Post 58671675)

It also shows that when it comes to football the Chiefs own Missouri having far more fandom than the Rams do.

HisIceness 01-31-2013 04:52 PM

Noticed Wake (Raleigh) and Durham counties in NC are in Steelers territory. Not that the Steelers don't have a large fanbase in the area, they do, but I tend to notice more Patriots fans in the area than any other team these days.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the biggest Patriots fanbase located outside New England is indeed located in the Raleigh-Durham area.

15-20 years ago though, the area and the state in general was Redskins and to a lesser extent, Cowboys territory. It still is today to some extent, but not like it was before 1995.

Funny thing though, I think most of us on the Hurricanes board are Panther fans, but of course we don't make-up the majority of the population.

End of Line 01-31-2013 05:34 PM

Not shocked about the Steelers being the most popular team in Ohio. Hell they're the most popular team here in Columbus to boot.

Francesa 01-31-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by End of Line (Post 58764841)
Not shocked about the Steelers being the most popular team in Ohio. Hell they're the most popular team here in Columbus to boot.

Surprised it wasn't Cleveland or Cincinnati

Clowe Me 01-31-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand (Post 58761053)
It also shows that when it comes to football the Chiefs own Missouri having far more fandom than the Rams do.

They're on opposite sides of the state. Chiefs own the west side and St Louis owns the east. KC does own the neutral territory, though, but I'm not surprised seeing as the Chiefs have been around in Missouri much longer.

invictus 01-31-2013 08:42 PM

You know how for the Presidential elections you can get the blue/red map with all the counties changed by size to account for population? I think that this map would be really cool in that form.

Brad Tolliver 02-01-2013 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsholygrail (Post 58690797)

Well, that's where the prisons were built.

Bruv 02-01-2013 10:08 AM

Surprised to see Rams not have any in LA or whatever

I think they'll overtake the Cheifs as Missouri's team pretty soon

Kronwalled55 02-01-2013 11:00 AM

Upper peninsula of Michigan is full of Packer fans?

Well, nobody lives up there anyways. :laugh: