HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Goalie situation after this season? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1337083)

MattMartin 01-30-2013 11:27 AM

Goalie situation after this season?

Nabokov becomes a UFA and i personally think he can be like Rollie and play a few more very good seasons (check out what there doing in NJ). Now lets say he winds up leaving. Does DP become the starter? Are Poulin and Nillson ready to start in the NHL? This is purely food for thought and PLEASE do not make this a DP bash thread. Opinions,ideas?. I think it's something we are going to have to address sooner then later. One other thought if we happen to hit a wall and are out early do you think Snow would consider trading Nabby? God i hope not.

bigd 01-30-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattMartin (Post 58677911)
Nabokov becomes a UFA and i personally think he can be like Rollie and play a few more very good seasons (check out what there doing in NJ). Now lets say he winds up leaving. Does DP become the starter? Are Poulin and Nillson ready to start in the NHL? This is purely food for thought and PLEASE do not make this a DP bash thread. Opinions,ideas?. I think it's something we are going to have to address sooner then later. One other thought if we happen to hit a wall and are out early do you think Snow would consider trading Nabby? God i hope not.

Tim Thomas says he want to return. After being out for a whole season I don't see how he can command a big contract.

Bunk Moreland 01-30-2013 11:43 AM

I was actually looking at this the other day and there's a couple solutions..

Route 1- The Islanders feel either Poulin or Nilsson are ready for a shot at the number one spot and they go in to camp with P/N, DP and a random veteran G like an Al Montoya/Danis and have the kids earn their spot with a fall back option.

2-They don't feel P/N are ready they re-sign Nabby or sign one of the manybetter UFA goalies on a 1-2 year band aid to hold over until the kids are ready.

3-Armageddon. DP feels good after backing up all year and he goes into the season as the number one goalie with one of P/N backing him up.

UFA Goalies:
Backstrom, Niklas
Thomas, Tim
Khabibulin, Nikolai
Nabokov, Evgeni
Howard, Jimmy
Smith, Mike
Theodore, Jose
Mason, Chris
Garon, Mathieu
Labarbera, Jason
Emery, Ray
Budaj, Peter
Fasth, Viktor
Nihlstorp, Christopher
Boucher, Brian
Leighton, Michael
Khudobin, Anton
Karlsson, Henrik
Ellis, Dan
Danis, Yann
McElhinney, Curtis
Drouin-Deslauriers, Jeff
Montoya, Al

MattMartin 01-30-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland (Post 58678737)

Route 1- The Islanders feel either Poulin or Nilsson are ready for a shot at the number one spot and they go in to camp with P/N, DP and a random veteran G like an Al Montoya/Danis and have the kids earn their spot with a fall back option.

2-They don't feel P/N are ready they re-sign Nabby or sign one of the manybetter UFA goalies on a 1-2 year band aid to hold over until the kids are ready.

3-Armageddon. DP feels good after backing up all year and he goes into the season as the number one goalie with one of P/N backing him up.

Another interesting thought is does Snow/Cappy really in their heart of hearts believe that Ricky can ever become a starter again? I would love to be a fly on the wall during a conversation about him between those two.

scott99 01-30-2013 11:52 AM

I think we see the Poulin/Nilsson show next season, after practically 3 full seasons in the AHL (2 for Nilsson), they should be ready. Koskinen might be ready as well. It's time for all 3 to be fighting for the #1 spot, the losers are the #2 and minor leaguer. I truly feel we have 2 potential #1 goalies with Poulin/Nilsson.

scott99 01-30-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

UFA Goalies:
Backstrom, Niklas
Thomas, Tim
Khabibulin, Nikolai
Nabokov, Evgeni
Howard, Jimmy Smith, Mike
Theodore, Jose
Mason, Chris
Garon, Mathieu
Labarbera, Jason
Emery, Ray
Budaj, Peter
Fasth, Viktor
Nihlstorp, Christopher
Boucher, Brian
Leighton, Michael
Khudobin, Anton
Karlsson, Henrik
Ellis, Dan
Danis, Yann
McElhinney, Curtis
Drouin-Deslauriers, Jeff
Montoya, Al

I can't believe Jimmy Howard is an UFA, that would be a no brainer to pick him up.

InformTheMasses 01-30-2013 11:59 AM

Curtis McElhinney has been playing awesome down in Springfield. Made All-Star game and has NHL experience. He would be a great insurance pick-up.

Personally, I think the Ricky Buyout finally happens. Nabokov comes back for one more year. Poulin backs up, and Nilsson plays 1 more season in Bridgeport as full-time starter. Then It's Poulin and Nilsson from there.

Strummergas 01-30-2013 12:01 PM

It's still too early to tell. If this team makes progress here, Nabby might re-sign for another year. That would be fine. The real problem is the Dipietro contract. Ideally, they have a proven starter (Nabby or another seasoned vet) and one of Poulin/Nilsson in as back-up. If one of Poulin/Nabby falters, give the other a shot provided that they're playing well in Bridgeport. If either takes over the starting position, then even better. But because of the Dipietro contract, the Isles will have to hand the starting role to one of the Bridgeport goaltenders at some point as there's no way Ricky can play most of the games (or even half for that matter) the way a normal starter would be expected to.

MattMartin 01-30-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

UFA Goalies:
Backstrom, Niklas
Thomas, Tim
Khabibulin, Nikolai
Nabokov, Evgeni
Howard, Jimmy
Smith, Mike
Theodore, Jose
Mason, Chris
Garon, Mathieu
Labarbera, Jason
Emery, Ray
Budaj, Peter
Fasth, Viktor
Nihlstorp, Christopher
Boucher, Brian
Leighton, Michael
Khudobin, Anton
Karlsson, Henrik
Ellis, Dan
Danis, Yann
McElhinney, Curtis
Drouin-Deslauriers, Jeff
Montoya, Al

Out of this list i will throw my top choices - Backstom/Howard because they are not going to happen.
Smith,Mason and Ellis are all capable back up and showed they can start many games if needed. Smith is 30 Ellis is 32 and Mason is 36.

Most of the rest are either unproven or just on their last leg. Thomas is the wildcard because a team out there could possibly throw him some coin even know we might find it absurd.

Bunk Moreland 01-30-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott99 (Post 58679389)
I can't believe Jimmy Howard is an UFA, that would be a no brainer to pick him up.

At 28 years old he would command a pretty penny. Don't know much about Detroit's farm system if they have another goalie in waiting but maybe he gets re-signed?

kasper11 01-30-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott99 (Post 58679257)
I think we see the Poulin/Nilsson show next season, after practically 3 full seasons in the AHL (2 for Nilsson), they should be ready. Koskinen might be ready as well. It's time for all 3 to be fighting for the #1 spot, the losers are the #2 and minor leaguer. I truly feel we have 2 potential #1 goalies with Poulin/Nilsson.

Next season is huge for this team in order to build momentum going into a new building. No way do I want to go with two unproven goalies next season.

Ideally, we would re-sign Nabokov or replace him with another vet and give one of Poulin/Nilsson 25-30 games as a backup next year. The problem, of course, is DP. You can't keep three goalies on the roster all year, and you can't rotate that many either.

I think that next year the team will have an open competition between DP, Poulin and Nilsson. The only way I see that changing is if either DP gets hurt again or the Isles make the playoffs this year in which case I think they re-sign Nabokov.

Mustang2750 01-30-2013 12:20 PM

Buyout DP first then worry about it.

Bunk Moreland 01-30-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kasper11 (Post 58680295)
Next season is huge for this team in order to build momentum going into a new building. No way do I want to go with two unproven goalies next season.

Ideally, we would re-sign Nabokov or replace him with another vet and give one of Poulin/Nilsson 25-30 games as a backup next year. The problem, of course, is DP. You can't keep three goalies on the roster all year, and you can't rotate that many either.

I think that next year the team will have an open competition between DP, Poulin and Nilsson. The only way I see that changing is if either DP gets hurt again or the Isles make the playoffs this year in which case I think they re-sign Nabokov.

Its just another reason why buying him out just puts this team in a much better spot.

MartysBetterThanYou 01-30-2013 12:58 PM

Why didn't the Islanders buy out DP before the season and call up one of the kids for backup duty? Cap floor?

And You Feel Shame 01-30-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou (Post 58682631)
Why didn't the Islanders buy out DP before the season and call up one of the kids for backup duty? Cap floor?

The buyouts were part of the CBA agreement and will be allowed this coming offseason.

scott99 01-30-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kasper11 (Post 58680295)
Next season is huge for this team in order to build momentum going into a new building. No way do I want to go with two unproven goalies next season.Ideally, we would re-sign Nabokov or replace him with another vet and give one of Poulin/Nilsson 25-30 games as a backup next year. The problem, of course, is DP. You can't keep three goalies on the roster all year, and you can't rotate that many either.

Not for nothing, Lundquist was 24 when he came over from Sweden after a couple of years, I believe Poulin/Nillson will both be 23, with plenty of AHL experience, it's time. We have them for a reason. They need to be in the NHL, what do we keep them in the AHL till they are 30 ? They are old enough and experienced enough, and each have played NHL games. If Nabby wants one more season here, so be it, but I don't think he can hold up for more than THIS season, as a #1 goalie, He'll be 38 next season. man I can't believe I'm saying he's gonna be 38, I lived in Northern Cali for his first 5 seasons (2000-2005), and still think of him as a young goalie.

Bexlyspeed 01-30-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang2750 (Post 58680713)
Buyout DP first then worry about it.

thats never going to happen.

hopefully they can sign Nabby to an extension, because if he hits UFA he's gone.
if thats the case look for it to be the Rick's job to lose, with Poulin as the back up.

noone here can really believe they will shell out money for an actually top UFA Goalie?
and have that said player want to play here? no way. if wang was that close to opening up the coffers we wouldnt be plucking guys off waivers at record pace

MartysBetterThanYou 01-30-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by And You Feel Shame (Post 58682869)
The buyouts were part of the CBA agreement and will be allowed this coming offseason.

I guess I mean why didn't they Redden/Gomez DP after that ruling came? It just seems too risky to have DP potentially injured, negating the possibility of a buyout.

IslandersFan17 01-30-2013 01:07 PM

I fore one think Nilsson is going to be the goalie of the future for the Islanders. I would like to see him and Poulin duke it out for a roster spot next year.

Bones45 01-30-2013 01:08 PM

Dp sucks

stranger34 01-30-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

UFA Goalies:
Backstrom, Niklas
Thomas, Tim
Khabibulin, Nikolai
Nabokov, Evgeni
Howard, Jimmy
Smith, Mike
Theodore, Jose
Mason, Chris
Garon, Mathieu
Labarbera, Jason
Emery, Ray
Budaj, Peter
Fasth, Viktor
Nihlstorp, Christopher
Boucher, Brian
Leighton, Michael
Khudobin, Anton
Karlsson, Henrik
Ellis, Dan
Danis, Yann
McElhinney, Curtis
Drouin-Deslauriers, Jeff
Montoya, Al

and who are the "many" better from this list that you refer to?

scott99 01-30-2013 01:14 PM

I really believe Jimmy Howard should be the Isle's goal for Free Agency, he gives the Isle's a proven stud goalie in his prime. Who cares how much he costs, the Isles have a ton of cap space.

kasper11 01-30-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott99 (Post 58682885)
Not for nothing, Lundquist was 24 when he came over from Sweden after a couple of years, I believe Poulin/Nillson will both be 23, with plenty of AHL experience, it's time. We have them for a reason. They need to be in the NHL, what do we keep them in the AHL till they are 30 ? They are old enough and experienced enough, and each have played NHL games. If Nabby wants one more season here, so be it, but I don't think he can hold up for more than THIS season, as a #1 goalie, He'll be 38 next season. man I can't believe I'm saying he's gonna be 38, I lived in Northern Cali for his first 5 seasons (2000-2005), and still think of him as a young goalie.

Lundqvist's first season the Rangers had Kevin Weekes as the projected started. Lundqvist just outplayed him.

That is the exact plan I want the Isles to follow, have an established vet in place and one of the prospects backup. If Poulin or Nilsson can unseat the vet that would be great, but I don't want to count on it happening.

As a rule, I don't like handing jobs to prospects. Let outplay someone and earn the spot.

19 in a row 01-30-2013 01:33 PM

With a whole bunch of talent coming up over the next 2 to 3 years ,I think by next year we will need to start finding out who the goalie of the future is that can take us to that next level. I would hope that Poulin and Nilsson (and to a much lesser extent Koskinen) will battle it out in training camp to see who understudies a re-signed Nabby or another veteran brought in, then gradually phasing in one or both of the kids over the next two years until they become the full time #1. If neither can hack it then best we know sooner rather than later in case we need to look elsewhere for our goalie of the future ..

Bunk Moreland 01-30-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stranger34 (Post 58683479)
and who are the "many" better from this list that you refer to?

I guess it came across poorly should have worded it differently, I meant better UFA's than I mentioned in the first option: Montoya/Danis